? Civie question - Ming, constipated, enema and still won't eat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Beenie (GA), Nov 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beenie (GA)

Beenie (GA) Well-Known Member

Ming has had ongoing issue with constipation. I had it under control for quite sometime and only needed to add Vetasyl (psyllium husks) to his food. After Beenie was dx I changed their wet food to FF because what they were eating while it was wet was estimated at about 12%-13% carbs (was on Purina UR wet food for years. Ming had a urinary blockage twice long ago and we stayed on UR). I stopped Vetasyl too not knowing if it would affect Beenie. Now I know it wouldn't have impacted her BG but it was too late and had to start Miralax again for Ming. It wasn't too bad for a short stretch but now its happening way too often, I think July was when it started and seemed to happen every month or so.

I currently give Ming 1/4tsp egg yolk powder, 1/2 tbsp AVJ, and 1/4 tsp Miralx twice a day plus added water. Add to that one feeding which I call dinner he also gets about 1/4 tsp of pumpkin. This past weekend it proved to seem to be too much and he started dropping "milk duds" around the house and in my bed:eek:. He did have two formed poos in the LB and I always squeeze (with toilet paper) before I discard to check softness. Well it was too soft. So I didn't give Ming Miralax Monday night and yesterday only Miralax once that day.

Last night Ming ate his 6:15pm dinner then shortly after he started acting strange. He kept going to the LB and I finally realized he was constipated again. He didn't eat any food overnight or today and still will not eat. I brought him to the vet today, late afternoon, and he had hard stool at the end of the rectum that he always get stuck with. They did remove some manually and gave him a soapy enema. Vet is concerned since its "right there" he may have some nerve damage and also the "milk dud" droppings may mean he doesn't have control in that area. No real way to diagnose according to him but based on Ming's history it's a possibility.

He is currently locked up in the bathroom because he was leaking poo for a while. He still needs a proper cleaning and I go in every so often to clean up a little at a time with a warm washcloth, rinse and repeat. He cries and is doing a lot of lip smacking. I forgot to tell the vet tech NOT to clean him with that soapless crap they use because when he tries to clean himself he foams at the mouth:(. So he hasn't eaten in over 24hrs now and I know that is not good. I donated all my supplies including feeding syringes so I have nothing, I sprinkled a little parm cheese on his wet food and it just made him lip smack more.

What can I do? Do I just wait it all out? He did finally let everything go and I scooped up a large stool and a pancake pile of liquipoo. I want to clean him up a little more and make sure he's done leaking before I let him roam the house. I know having his freedom will make him feel better too.

Any advise primarily on not eating will be greatly appreciate.

Thanks

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Oh, poor thing. Sorry he and you are going through this. Is he still not willing to eat after he 'let everything go'? I know they tend to stop eating when they have an issue like constipation, but I would think that after it 'cleared' he might start to eat some. Can you get him to lick up some broth or something like that?

3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

I should have added that when I fed my girls primarily FF, they started having issues with constipation. Even when I started adding pumpkin, they would go, but it was very small and hard. My civvie, Willow, even had a ruptured anal sac which I think was probably related since her stool was not big enough to express those glands like it should. I still have FF Classic Chicken Feast in my food 'arsenal', but I do not feed it as the primary food anymore and never will again (a ruptured anal sac is bad; I never want to see that happen to my baby again). I mix it with Weruva Chicken Frick A' Zee. Alone, the Weruva texture seems to put her off a little, but with a bit of FF mixed in, she is happy.. and so is her poop.

4. Beenie (GA)

Ah thanks for the tip on the FF. I already told DH that once we return from vacation I will slowly introduce a new wet food and something in the higher LC range since we're not dealing with a cat that has FD.

I'm questioning the nausea too. This has never happened before. Once he's cleaned out its over. It may very well be the non-rinse cleanser they used at the vets office or the soap from the enema that he may be licking off himself plus he has a completely empty stomach. Going to add some tuna juice to his wet food and see if that works..

Thank you

5. Mom2Maverick

Mom2Maverick Member

If it is megacolon or close to it, one school of thought is a low fiber diet. I feed 1% max. Cisapride has been great for Maverick for keeping him (mostly) out of trouble. I give 1/8 tsp of Miralax with every feeding. He gets a little over a tsp a day. Miralax helps the future stool. Cisapride moves it all along.
    On the other hand, a lot of people feed their megacolon cats this food. https://www.chewy.com/royal-canin-veterinary-diet/dp/33928
    For many reasons (Mav has also had a urinary blockage) I'm a believer in wet food but wanted to let you know about that food.

6. Beenie (GA)

Interesting about the low fiber diet. I think it depends on the type of fiber, soluble vs insoluble but I don't remember which is better for constipation. I am giving 1/4 tsp of Miralax twice a day. I wonder if smaller amounts in his food spread out through his meals would be better! He's fed 5 mini meals a day. Thanks for the tip. Cisapride is a script I guess. Is that a medicine that helps if there is nerve damage and that is why its needed to "move things along" ? I will ask the vet about it. Dry food is absolutely out for Ming. If they offered it in wet but no dry as that makes constipation worse and potentially cause other issues. I haven't served dry since they were little, Ming also had a urinary blockage when he was really young but not in years thank goodness.

Thank you, thank you!!

7. Mom2Maverick

Mom2Maverick Member

You're welcome, I hope it helps!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.