? Cocoa 2/2 Somogyi rebound (bounce)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Cocoa12, Feb 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cocoa12

Cocoa12 Member

I think my cat is going through a bounce.

Yesterday PMPS 398, +2 300, +4 169, +5 166, +6 215
    Today AMPS 488, +2 480, +4 428.

He is on 1.25 of Lantus right now should I take him down to 1 or 0.5? Or leave him at 1.25?

2. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Steph & Quintus & L & O Well-Known Member

not too sure about that. Are you following either TR or SLGS? Both give instructions on when to lower or raise a dose.

In this case it looks like Cocoa has gone down to "unfamiliar" numbers, but they're not objectively too low. So maybe he needs to stick around and go there more often to get used to them?

In doubt, i'd stick to the same dose, but hopefully more experienced people will chime in.

3. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

I would stick to the 1.25u regardless of which method you chose. Those are some nice blue numbers but nothing that would of earned a reduction on either TR or SLGS.

That looks like a bounce to me! May take a few cycles to clear.

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Cocoa's not used to those pretty blues of last night. Hold the dose at least a couple more cycles. That means stay at 1.25 units for now.

Lowering the dose is the wrong thing. There is a myth about there about Symogyi for some reason, and it says you lower the dose in response. There was a study done by someone called Symogyi years ago, on just a few humans and with fast acting insulin. Someone started teh myth based on that study and said it is the same for cats on long lasting insulin. Not true. Here is a link to a research paper than debunks it, especially for kitties on Lantus that have had their dose carefully increased, as you have been doing. What we call bounces here is a different mechanism, and is a temporary rise in numbers (up to 6 cycles) that is s response to lower numbers than they are used to, or fast drops in blood sugar.

To answer your question in your post from yesterday, (link included here for continuity http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/2-1-cocoa-amps-443-382-pmps-398-2-300-4-169-5-166-worried.190564/#post-2124203 ) we figure out how to dose Lantus by how low it takes the cat. Right now this 1.25 unit dose is taking him to the mod blues. A cat earns a dose reduction (which means taking the dose down 0.25 units), if they go below a reduction number. With SLGS that number is 90 and with TR that number is 50 on a human meter ad 68 on the AT.

5. Cocoa12

Cocoa12 Member

I will keep his dose the same and see how it goes. I hope to see more blue and him be ok. I will check out the paper that you linked. Thanks.

6. Cocoa12

Cocoa12 Member

Very interesting paper. Is a cycle 12 or 24 hours?

7. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

12hrs

8. Cocoa12

Cocoa12 Member

That is what I thought I just wanted to make sure. His AMPS came down today to 435 versus 488 the other day. And his +4 was 385 versus 428. So I think his body is adapting to the new does :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.