Diabetes advice

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Steve Freeby, Jan 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Freeby

Steve Freeby New Member

Hi everyone,
    I need some advice. Our 15 year old male cat has been on thyroid meds for 6 months and today was diagnosed with diabetes with an over 400 glucose level. Insulin brought him down to normal levels.

Here is my dilemma, when we brought him home he is lethargic and not hungry. Today when we brought him in to the vet, he had been vomiting for 3 days and was very dehydrated. He got liquids, did tests and he ate a little under the care of a great vet. I’m scared. Is the lethargy due to a rough day? Is this something where he will have good and bad days? I drop food in his mouth ( wet food and he eats it and no vomit. He walks to his cat box for his business.

Please help with advice!

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Steve and welcome to the forum to you and your kitty..

So you took him to the vet today for the first time after he had been lethargic and not eating at home and then he was diagnosed with diabetes...Is that right?
    When you took him to the vet, did the vet say he had any ketones in his urine?
    Is kitty home now with you or still at the vets?
    What insulin is your kitty on?
    Bron

3. Steve Freeby

Steve Freeby New Member

Thanks for the welcome!

He was lethargic, vomiting, weight loss, and poor appetite. Took to the vet today, and diagnosed.

Yes, not good kidney numbers and I believe ketones as well. He did get an IV.

Kitty is home, lethargic, but a little better. Will not eat or drink. Remember, he is on thyroid meds as well.

Insulin is Humilin 30/70 or 70/30, I can’t remember.

How do I get him to eat?

I really need some advice from people experiencing this.

Thanks

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Was the vet happy for him to come home?
    Having ketones can be quite serious and it is really important that he is getting enough insulin, enough food and has been treated for an infection if he had one.
    I am going to ask you to post over on the Main forum where there are a lot more people to help. This is only the welcome page and not many visit here.
    Write in the subject line of the new post. "Sick cat, ketones, won't eat...please help'. I will watch for the post and link this post into it for continuity. We will help you!
    Here is the link
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/

5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Steve has now posted over on the main forum

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.