Diabetic cat on insulin not improving, family wants to put him to sleep, but...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Natalie and Ziggy, Apr 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Natalie and Ziggy

Natalie and Ziggy Member

Hi, everyone. My name's Natalie, and I've been reading a few posts on this board about diabetic cats and treatment techniques, since my ten-year-old cat has recently been diagnosed as diabetic himself.

My cat's name is Ziggy, and over the past several months, he's been rapidly losing weight. His vet diagnosed him as diabetic a few months ago (with no other outstanding issues), and he was put on a soft food diet with glipizide pills. After a while, after determining that his blood sugars were still too high, he was put on insulin. This is when I moved out of my parents' house. Since then, they have been taking care of him, as I didn't want to put too much stress on him by making him move houses at his age.

My parents have been taking Ziggy to the vet for all of his appointments, and while he was initially going back to his old behavior and getting better, his condition has declined in the past few weeks. The vet said his blood sugars are still way too high, and doubled his insulin dose.

The vet also said that, now that he's on insulin, he can eat dry food. I'm not entirely sure that sounds right to me...I thought dry food was bad for diabetic cats? He eats a mix of dry and soft now.

When I saw him last weekend, he was skin and bones and extremely lethargic. He barely eats, drinks water constantly, fills up his litterbox with pee, and he can't do #2 inside his litterbox lately. My parents and my siblings all agree that it's time to put him to sleep, because they believe he is clearly suffering (and are taking issue with the fact that he tracks poop all over the house).

The thing is -- and I'm not sure of this -- isn't deciding to euthanize him now, when all he (apparently, according to the vet) needs is to have his blood sugars stabilized, jumping to conclusions? I could understand if he was undergoing kidney failure or something like that, but if it's just an issue with his blood sugars, isn't that treatable? My family does have a history of overreacting, and I do, too.

My family is more or less set on having him euthanized on Thursday, and I'm six hours away from them. I can't be there for Ziggy. I don't want to see him suffer, but I also think that maybe his blood sugars just need to be stabilized, and maybe he'll start to improve again? I think I've convinced them to at least hear what the vet has to say and then let me know before making any decisions.

I know that's a long story, but I'm a bit distressed lately. I guess what I'm asking is if it's worth convincing my family to let Ziggy hang on a little longer, at least until his blood sugars are stabilized, to see if there is any improvement. I don't want him to die when all it might take is some maintenance. But I don't want him to suffer, either.

Does anyone here have any experience with a cat who rebounded after a decline in health? Are there any general steps I could take to get him on the right path again?

Thanks for reading. I don't know if any of this is answerable, but at least it feels good to get it off my chest. I love Ziggy, and I want what's best for him, but I don't want to say goodbye when all it might take is just a little more effort to help him recover.

If anyone is interested, I can update with the vet's new diagnosis on Thursday, provided my family hasn't decided to put Ziggy to sleep without telling me.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  2. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Hi Natalie. Basically, your instincts are spot on. All diabetic cats will decline if they are not receiving proper treatment to regulate their blood glucose. First and foremost, throw that dry food away! Diabetic kitties need a diet of canned food that is under 10% carbohydrates. Here is a link to a food chart that can help you find a good food for your boy. You and your family might all like to read this article, written by a veterinarian, regarding diabetes and diet. If Ziggy is still on insulin, you will need to be home testing when you transition him to wet food, to keep him safe from hypoglycemia. Home testing sounds much more time-consuming and daunting than it really is; once learned, it rapidly becomes second nature for both you and your kitty. It will also help you determine if Ziggy is getting the proper dose of insulin, which it sounds like he might not be. How high was his insulin dose after the vet doubled it, and what type of insulin is he on? Sometimes, too much insulin can actually cause higher numbers, due to something we call "bouncing." The simple explanation is that the body reacts to numbers that drop too low by flooding the system with glucogen, causing the blood glucose to rise.

There is no reason for diabetes to be a death sentence for Ziggy, barring any other life-threatening illnesses. If you, and most importantly, if they are doing the hands-on care, your parents, are willing to invest a little time and learn about it, we can absolutely teach you how to better deal with it, to insure Ziggy's health and well-being! I really hope your parents will decide to give it a go, for Ziggy's sake! :):cat::)

3. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Hi Natalie, yo've arrived at the right place, when diabetic cats are dealing with high glucose numbers, they do feel very weak, they lose a lot of weight and muscle mass that's why they start having trouble getting into their litterboxes, but all that improves once they get their blood sugar regulated.

It will require some patience and time for him to get back on track but it can be done, diabetic cats can live a pretty normal life once they get regulated hopefully you can talk to your parents and they will agree to give Ziggy a chance, you will need to give him insulin and monitor his blood sugar levels on a daily basis at home ( no need to be taking him to the vet ) but is not as bad as it sounds

Squalliesmom likes this.
  4. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

Hi Natalie,
    my cat was sentenced by her vet just over a year ago - and now she is fine.
    Testing glucose at home (I use the cheapest human glucometer from Walmart) and adjusting the dose of insulin as needed is a key.And of course the food - best for Ziggy is wet canned low carbs food, like Friskies Pate or Tiki Cat with a bit of extra water added to each meal.
    I promise it is not as daunting as it sounds.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  5. Natalie and Ziggy

Natalie and Ziggy Member

Hi, everyone. Thank you so much for your responses. I’m at work so I can’t respond in-depth right now, but I will try to when I get home.

I’ve forwarded all of your advice to my parents, but they told me that they have made up their minds and want to put him to sleep on Thursday no matter what. They said they’re sick of taking care of Ziggy and that he’s too ill to recover. They want to be done with him.

I wish I could just get through to them, or that I was there to watch over him myself. I’m really starting to panic. It feels like the only way to save him would be to move back home and take care of him myself, but that’s just not possible. :(

6. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Natalie and Ziggy. I'm going to make some assumptions here, tell me if I'm wrong.
    You would have Ziggy with you now if you could.
    You wouldn't be here baring your soul if you didn't care for and love Ziggy.
    Your parents have been paying the vet bills.
    You're 28 years old so you may be the youngest person here, no joke. When I was 28 I was too busy living it up and the truth is I would have been a total coward and ended it. I'm now 60 so I've been through this many times as have hundreds of members here. And I've spent many mortgage payments to save a soul.
    On the negative side / Ziggy's weight loss can do a lot of harm to his internal organs. If he rebounds you could be looking at another ten years of caring for him. I've had many cats that lived past 15 and one that lived to 23. Feline medicine has come a long way since 1986. Some of our members have been here since 1990 so whatever happens you will always have a place to go for advice and we never, ever judge people.
    On the positive side / With the right care cats can rebound from almost anything. My 23 year old was hit by a car; broken jaw, lost teeth, eye damage. Noah's brother Andrew was near death when we decided he had so much to live for so we force fed him for weeks. He lived for years afterwards. Squallie's Mom is right, we need to sort some things out and stabilize Ziggy. We can give you advice on choosing a different/better insulin, diet and dietary supplements, how to home test and things to watch for.
    Please ask your parents to hold off. I know what that pressure is like coming from a family that not only hated cats but thought we needed counseling for having nine cats. Keep posting and remember there is no such thing as a stupid question. Crying is allowed.
    Finally, if you decide Ziggy is suffering talk to a vet and to us. And do not let your family decide what's best for you and Ziggy, it's not their decision. If Ziggy is in physical pain that can be dealt with as well. Noah is our little drug addict (a long story) but he is a quiet and happy little boy.
    I wish you peace and the courage to do what you think is right.

7. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

No it's not to late to recover. I took my parents diabetic cat in. Long story I won't go into. Smokey was 16 yrs old. I packed him up and moved him to me. Everything changed for him, including getting 3 siblings when his entire life he was an only cat. It took months but was able to get him much healthier than what he was. And correct the inappropriate litter box use as well as other issues. He was 18 1/2 when a stroke took him.

If you can, take him in and move him. It sounds like most of his problems are from not being regulated. He really won't mind the move.

8. Noah & me (GA)

There's another option, GoFundMe. A lot of people think it's only for major tragedies but there is a pet section and it's worth looking into. Be honest, tell your story, don't embellish. You can post sad pictures. There is a lot of competition for "saddest story of the day" if you watch the news but sadly that's how the world works. And it's nothing to be embarrassed about. Can you tell us where you are? Fostering may be an option. We already have six and most are rescues so we cannot help.

Squalliesmom and Bellasmom like this.
  9. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Is DCIN an option for placement vs. PTS?

Squalliesmom likes this.
  10. Squalliesmom

I believe it is. @Chris & China is our contact for DCIN (Diabetic Cats In Need). Natalie, it certainly wouldn't hurt to contact them and see if they can help!

11. Megan and Tessie

Megan and Tessie Member

Hi Natalie! I'm really sorry for what you and Ziggy are going through...it's a tough road and you must really feel a lack of control being hours away. There is no doubt that Ziggy could recover and live many more healthy years. It seems that a lot of cats are in pretty rough shape when they've first been diagnosed.

My kitty was recently diagnosed and it is definitely overwhelming to figure everything out, but it has already become easier now that we've gotten into a rhythm. She has a lot of improvement to go, and I still have plenty of stressed and worried moments, but it is all worth it knowing I'm giving her the best chance she has for a healthy life. So far, my family thinks I'm crazy for not putting her to sleep. It's expensive and time-consuming, I'm missing out on fun vacations and outings with friends and have had to leave family functions early to go home to give her a shot. But to me, it's totally worth it. I find it empowering to have acquired so much information and to be able to help her feel better.

In my opinion, the key to a diabetic cat's outcome is with home testing, at least 2-3 times a day. If your family is sick of taking care of Ziggy, I'm not sure how you will convince them to spend more time treating him. If you want to save your kitty, it seems like moving him to live with you might be his best shot. There are amazing, experienced people on this board who will help you manage Ziggy's condition and hopefully, get him feeling much better. From everything I've learned and read so far, it is much more difficult at the beginning of treatment but things really do get easier. There are many cats that even go into remission after receiving insulin and an improved diet. One more thing I will say, glipizide pills do not seem to be very effective in cats so it's no wonder that didn't work. Once he was started on insulin, if your parents started giving dry food again, it's also not a surprise he hasn't improved.

I hope things work out for Ziggy! It's obvious how much you love him.

Critter Mom likes this.
  12. Veronica & Babu-chiri

For what you have said it doesn't sound like he's too ill, he just needs some care to get his diabetes regulated so maybe if you could take him in not moving back but moving him with you he could get better, cats adapt to changing houses better than you think as long as they are with someone they love and that loves them and for what it looks you love Ziggy a lot and he loves you, so it may be easier than you think to take him to live with you, after that it would be a matter of you getting organized a little it is not as hard as it appears at the beginning I work full time (writing you from my office ) and still I've managed

If that's not possible maybe putting him for adoption

Megan and Tessie likes this.
  13. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

Natalie, it is a little unfair for your family to have to care for Ziggy, I can see their point of view. It's also unfair for Ziggy to have been left there away from you. He's probably more stressed with you not there and no matter what, your family may just not be able to or willing to provide the love and support he needs. I speak from experience here, I'm not trying to be mean. Many years ago I left my cat with my parents because I was going overseas (Air Force) and unfortunately they just never cared for her like I would have and long story short she died as a result. Is there any way you can go get your kitty or promise your family you'll go get him and spare his life a little longer until you can? I'm so sorry you're both going through this but if he gets the care and love he needs he can pull through, it happens all the time, we see it here all the time.

14. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

Where is Ziggy located? (In case someone is nearby and willing to help or take him in)

Critter Mom and Squalliesmom like this.
  15. Natalie and Ziggy

Natalie and Ziggy Member

(Sorry about the long post!)

Thank you all again for your responses. At the very least, it makes me feel better to hear such helpful and kind words from people who've dealt with this before (and continue to do so). I have spoken to my parents again about Ziggy since I last posted, and they emphasized that their problem is not in giving him insulin, but in dealing with the litter mess he makes throughout the house. They seem to be coming around to the idea of giving him more time.

I felt so much better (and more hopeful) when I received this response -- thank you! Ziggy is on Vetsulin right now and, according to my mom, he is taking two units of it, twice daily. My parents don't mind giving him his shots, and they indicated they would be receptive to learning how to test at home.

This is what I was thinking. Most of his symptoms and unusual behaviors (like cement paws, pooping outside the litterbox) seem to be traceable to his blood sugar levels.

Your assumptions are mostly correct -- I forgot to mention that I'm paying for all of Ziggy's vet bills. Investing money into a sick cat was sort of a new concept for my parents, so I thought it'd make it easier for them if I helped out financially. I really don't mind, either! It's the sort of thing worth spending money on. Thank you for sharing your cats' stories, and for the offer of help. I'll be sure to come to you all with questions/concerns about Ziggy. You've all been very accommodating.

I'm starting to lean toward possibly bringing him to my place now. The issue is that I live with two roommates, and I'm not sure how receptive they'd be to it (especially since his litterbox apparently smells awful right now, and we don't have a cellar where I live -- it'd be a lot to ask of my roommates!). But then, they babysat a friend's cat for a while, so maybe... I'll have to talk to them about it. My landlord is my cousin and his parents have had to drop by my parents' house to give Ziggy his shots before, so he somewhat knows about the situation.

The idea of fostering Ziggy breaks my heart, but I will definitely consider it, if it means he'll receive better care. I currently live in the Portland, Maine area. I have a lot of cat-owning coworkers, so maybe I can ask them if they know of any resources?

Thank you! I will try to get in touch.

Thank you for the kind response. It's such a daunting experience, even more so since my family and myself are all new to it. My family is sort of the same way about cats -- as soon as they get sick, it's time to put them down. I can see where they're coming from, but I don't know. I guess I'm just not wired that way. And yes, I think the dry food contributed to his worsening condition. He was improving when he started on the insulin, but once he settled back into a dry food diet, it all went downhill.

It's true, and I feel terrible about putting this burden on my parents, and for "abandoning" Ziggy. I just thought that he'd become so acclimated to his current home that he wouldn't want to leave. My parents have never minded having him around, and my dad (who isn't really a cat person) has been wonderful with giving him his shots. It's just that they're getting tired of, as they put it to me earlier today, "the whole cat thing" and Ziggy's symptoms are wearing their patience thin. We have another kitty, too (a total sweetie who never causes any problems), and I think their mindset is that one is enough. You're not being mean, don't worry -- I need to hear this.

To those I didn't respond to: thank you again for your replies. They've helped calm me down and get a better picture of the situation. :)

I think I'm making headway in getting through to my family, but I'll keep you all updated as I go. I'll try to broach the idea of moving Ziggy down with me to the apartment, too. Again, my parents' main issue is that he's making a mess of everything by tracking litter and poop all over the place, and see his lethargy as a sign that he's ready to say goodbye. I think if I can help them come up with some short-term solutions to that one issue, it would go a long way.

Ziggy is currently located in northern Maine, in the St. John Valley. I can be more specific, but I'm a bit antsy about giving an exact location.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  16. Noah & me (GA)

That's specific enough. No matter what the circumstances your privacy still matters.

17. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

H.A.R.T. of Maine has a dedicated diabetic cat room. Not sure if either you or your parents live in their shelter rescue area or even if this rescue has room for a diabetic. Worth a phone call or email or two. 207-829-4116, They are in Cumberland, ME.

It can take a long, long time for a diabetic cat to get adopted. Sometimes months or years go by before someone steps up to adopt a diabetic cat.

Critter Mom likes this.
  18. Natalie and Ziggy

Natalie and Ziggy Member

I have spoken to my landlord, and he is 100% okay with me bringing Ziggy here to live with us! I'm so relieved. I detailed all of Ziggy's symptoms and his current issues (tracking litter, diarrhea, odorous urine) and he said that's more or less what he expects from a cat anyway. He even offered to learn how to administer insulin shots himself. He was surprised I thought it would be an issue at all. Now I feel silly!

My dad is taking him to the vet on Thursday, and it's looking like I can bring Ziggy down here on Saturday. I will keep all of you posted. :)

19. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

That's Fantastic news!!! I'm sure Ziggy will settle into his new home with you fine and you'll be able to treat his diabetes better too!

It's also possible that some of the odor your parents complain about is due to them not cleaning the litterbox as often as necessary. With a sugarcat in the mix, it's even more important to keep the litter scooped and clean the litterboxes regularly because until they're regulated, they will have sugar pass through their kidneys and into the urine....it becomes really sticky.

You might try a different litter too. The clay litters are awful about sticking to paws. I recently tried something called Okocat and it's a whole different situation! It doesn't stick to China's paws like concrete, there's no dust and it doesn't track all over the house like clay does.

20. Natalie and Ziggy

Natalie and Ziggy Member

The litter sticking to his paws is a problem right now, yes. It's like he has cement shoes at the moment. My parents are trying to find a way to clean them, but nothing seems to be working. Hopefully the vet can help? Then I can invest in better litters to prevent clumping.

I'm nervous about having him down here, but also excited. I'm so happy I could cry (I sort of am, actually)!

21. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, I have three cats here in my condo and they share one huge litter box because that's all I have room for. I keep a good depth of litter in it, declump it twice a day and it gets a major scraping/scrubbing every second week. That prevents any problems from litter box odour. I use Dr. Elsey's clumping litter. The Okocat litter might work better for you though.

Bellasmom likes this.
  22. Veronica & Babu-chiri

23. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

That is great news, it'll be great for both of you and your family. Just start looking around here and see what you'll need to get him stabilized. There's lots to learn but remember you're not alone, this forum is full of experts that have been exactly where you are now. :bighug:

24. Olive & Paula

The cement paws is because he is excreting a ton of sugar in the urine. It becomes very sticky. When Ziggy starts getting the glucose controlled it will lessen. Having an extra box set up will help since the output is voluminous. You might have to try different litters also. Some do not absorb well and there will be actual lakes in the box. So having another he can use until it's scooped.

25. Squalliesmom

Glad it seems like things are looking up for Ziggy's future!

I have used Okocat for years and I love it, I really think it's the best litter I have ever used. I use the natural wood clumping (with the light blue band on the box). It lasts a long time, controls odor well, doesn't track, and isn't dusty. All four of my cats like it, too. It's a little more expensive than some of the other litters, but well worth it, in my opinion.

Natalie and Ziggy likes this.
  26. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Natalie , with you in Ziggy’s corner he is going to be fine :bighug::bighug::bighug: This Board and the knowledgeable , loving people on it will answer your questions and guide you 24/7 so you will not be alone :bighug: Welcome to you and Ziggy ! I am looking forward to watching his and your progress :bighug::bighug::bighug:

27. Chris & China (GA)

That's what I'm using too! Trying to catch all 3 using it...so far I've only caught 1 (if I had one I'd set up one of those nanny-cams to see who's using what!)

Squalliesmom likes this.
  28. Megan and Tessie

Megan and Tessie Member

Litter paws was one of the abnormal things I noticed about Tessie before her diagnoses. And I just realized she hasn't had them in weeks! Yay for progress!

I'm so excited that Ziggy is coming to live with you! I have a feeling you will do a wonderful job of getting him healthy and regulated :)

29. Deborah & Muffy(GA) & Wendall

Deborah & Muffy(GA) & Wendall Member

I'm glad to read that you'll be taking Ziggy. I've had 14 or so diabetic cats, most were on the short list for euthanasia and some in pretty bad shape when they came here. One of them, Timmy, is in this before-and-after video of rescued diabetics:

I'm about a half hour south of Portland. If I can be of any help, let me know.

Best,
    Deborah

30. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Deborah I loved that video, lots and lots and lots of tears, I couldn’t even read the beginning of it to my husband, my stomach was in my throat, I could not imagine putting my baby down or anyone who call their cat part of their family, loved it, it should be broadcasted everywhere!

Critter Mom likes this.
  31. Bellasmom

Natalie, I can not express how happy I am that u are not letting Ziggy be put down, I breaks my heart thinking about it, I’m so happy your gonna go through this with him, THANK you so much

32. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I just read through your condo. We all will help you help Ziggy. What insulin is he getting?

Bellasmom likes this.
  33. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

One other suggestion I have when you have him and have a new vet is to also consider switching to a longer acting insulin than Vetsulin. A lot of the symptoms he is experiencing indicates his glucose levels are not under control. Most cats respond better to longer acting insulins. The insulins most of us use for our cats are Lantus, Levemir, ProZinc and BCP PZI. The first two are human insulins and if your vet prescribes either one of these ask for the prescription for pens instead of a vial. It will save you a lot of money since you will be able to use almost every drop. With the vials the insulin will become ineffective long before you can use it all.

The vet can also order a free vial of BCP PZI if you want to try it. They will need to order it at http://bcpvetpharm.com/request-your-free-samples/.

All of the insulins I suggested work well in cats. With any insulin you want to start low and go slow. This means staring at a low dose, like 1 unit, and gradually increasing it by small amounts over several weeks to find the best dose that works for your cat. Don't worry, we can help you with everything.

You have a lot of experienced people on this board and as you probably have noticed, we are here to help you.

Squalliesmom and Bellasmom like this.
  34. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

I have been following this thread, and am so glad Ziggy is coming to live with you. I am new also, and although I can't advise, I applaud and support you. It can seem overwhelming and a bit frightening at first, but with the help you will find here, with these incredible people, I believe you can do it. Cheers and hugs from Idjit and his folks.

35. Natalie and Ziggy

Natalie and Ziggy Member

I'm overwhelmed by the kind words you've all offered. Thank you so much for your support and encouragement, everyone. I'll do everything I can to help Ziggy recover. :)

Thank you! Ziggy is currently on Vetsulin.

It'll be much easier to communicate with Ziggy's vet once we find a new one for him down here. Luckily, the animal hospital near where my parents live is affiliated with another animal hospital where I currently live, so the transition should hopefully be smooth. I will definitely ask about the right insulin for Ziggy. And I'll no doubt be asking lots of questions of all of you, since I'll be starting home testing! He's been a good boy about his insulin shots, so I'm hoping he'll behave when it comes to blood testing.

Thank you, and thank Idjit (I like his name)! I'm really nervous about having him live here, since he'll no doubt make a mess of things and I'll be so worried about him until he really starts to visibly recover, but it's good to know I'll have such a supportive group to turn to. It's also a relief to know that my parents will feel better not having to worry about a diabetic cat.

My dad is going to take him to the vet tomorrow, and I gave him a list of questions to ask, if he's able. If not, I'll give the vet a call on Friday and ask them myself. I guess I should copy/paste them here:

"- Natalie is planning on starting home testing for Ziggy. Any suggestions/steps she should take? Should she stay in contact with [the vet]?
    - Can we move to a wet food diet? [Asking this because for some reason the vet thought dry food was okay...? I want to know her reasoning.]
    - Is his diarrhea related to his diabetes?
    - What's the best way to clean his paws?
    - Can he still have dry treats? Any alternatives, if not? [I want to reward him for being patient with blood tests, and he loves snacks.]
    - How often/much should I feed him per day?"

Finally, here's a picture of my kitty my mom sent me today. He's so skinny — hopefully that'll change. :(
    [​IMG]

36. Chris & China (GA)

It's fine to ask, but fair warning....a lot of vets think it's not necessary or actively discourage it....Luckily, he's your cat so you don't need your vet's permission to do the right thing!

Here's something I wrote up for others for testing...maybe it'll help you too!

It can be really helpful to establish a routine with testing. Pick one spot that you want your "testing spot" to be (I like the kitchen counter because it's got good light and it's at a good height....it also already blocked 2 escape routes due to the wall and the backsplash) It can be anywhere though...a rug on the floor, a table, a particular spot on the couch...wherever is good for you.

Take him there as many times a day as you can and just give his ears a quick rub and then he gets a yummy (low carb) treat.Most cats aren't objecting so much with the poking..it's the fooling with their ears they don't like, but once they're desensitized to it and learn to associate a certain place with the treats, they usually start to come when they're called! Or even when they hear us opening the test kit!

You also have to remember...you're not poking him to hurt him...you're testing him to keep him safe and understand what's going on inside his body. There's just nothing better than truly understanding what's going on inside your kitty's body and with this disease, the more knowledge you have, the more power you have against it. The edges of the ears have very few pain receptors, so it really doesn't hurt them. Also, if you're nervous and tense, it's going to make your kitty nervous and tense too. As silly as it might seem, try singing! It forces you to use a different part of your brain!

It's also important to make sure his ear is warm. A small sock filled with a little rice and microwaved or a small pill bottle filled with warm water (check temp against your wrist like you would a baby bottle) works well

For new kitties, using a heavier gauge lancet is also really helpful. A 25-28 gauge lancet pokes a bigger "hole" than a 31-33 gauge lancet does, so look for "Alternate Site testing" lancets that are usually a lower number

Finding the right "treat" will be a great help too! Freeze dried chicken, bonito flakes, little pieces of baked chicken...whatever low carb treat you can find that he really enjoys will help him to associate the testing with the treat! China's Achilles heel was baked chicken, so I'd bake a piece, chop it into bite sized pieces, put some in the refrigerator and freeze the rest to use as needed. It didn't take long for her to come any time I picked up the meter!

Look for freeze dried treats....the only ingredient should be a protein source. Dog treats are usually cheaper (per ounce) than cat ones and are the exact same thing. You just break them into smaller pieces for cats. Pure Bites are popular here (if your cat likes freeze dried treats) The only ones my own cat is interested in are Orijen Wild Boar treats. I buy the dog ones and crumble them for her (they're a different texture than most freeze dried treats)

Squalliesmom and Beth 73 like this.
  37. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Giving a diabetic cat dry food is like a diabetic person saying well now that I'm on insulin I can eat cookies.

The key to his treatment is going to be home testing. I have a video in my signature showing how I test my cat CC at home. It takes a minute a few times a day. It takes me longer to find her then it does to test her. Lol

38. Megan and Tessie

Megan and Tessie Member

Tessie had diarrhea with a little blood in it before treatment then after we started insulin, turned to more of a soft stool. When their BG is too high, sugar pours out into their urine and can affect their poop too. I started adding a little dab of plain pumpkin to her food and since then, they have become much more solid. I've also heard amazing things about slippery elm bark and have thought about trying it. Apparently, it really heals up the GI tract. I've heard that it can cause medications to not absorb as well but I'm not sure if that applies to insulin.

For his litter paws, you could drench a small towel in warm water then hold it on his paws to loosen it, before kind of picking the litter away. Hopefully, this becomes a non-issue after he starts feeling better!

I'd definitely avoid any dry food or dry treats...it will only work against the insulin. Friskies pate and Fancy Feast pate or classics are two lower carb options that are sold at the store for pretty cheap. I add water to my cat's canned food as well, it really helps them stay hydrated and should help with Ziggy's bathroom issues. For a reward after testing, I give a little chicken with broth (I've been boiling chicken in water, then shredding it up) or some of her wet food.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  39. Kris & Teasel

You've been given lots of good advice here. I hope you stick around after the vet visit because we can help you get Ziggy feeling and doing better. :)

40. Squalliesmom

Awww, Ziggy is a cutie-pie! :cat:
    I use Okocat natural wood clumping litter, it doesn't stick to their feet like clay litter does. It also helps control odor, has no dust, doesn't track, and lasts a long time!

@Megan and Tessie SEB does block the absorption of other oral meds; best not to give it within two hours of other oral meds. It has no effect on the absorption of insulin. :)

41. Megan and Tessie

Megan and Tessie Member

Very good to know! That was the one bit of doubt that held me back from giving it to Tessie. Thank you!

Squalliesmom likes this.
  42. Squalliesmom

I mixed it in my kitty's food rather than syringing the slurry. If you add it to her food, make sure you add extra water, as well. I added 1-2 tablespoons of extra water to Candy's meals. :cat:

43. Megan and Tessie

Megan and Tessie Member

I just ordered some on Amazon :) Thanks again and for the feeding tip! I think this will be more beneficial for her than the pumpkin and I'm excited to see how she does on it!

Squalliesmom likes this.
  44. Natalie and Ziggy

Natalie and Ziggy Member

My dad just gave me a quick update. Ziggy is at the vet right now.

The vet is requesting a stool sample because they suspect Ziggy has an intestinal infection; if he does, they would want to put him on antibiotics. They described him as “pretty sick.”

Hoping my dad is patient with Ziggy today and doesn’t make any rash decisions...

45. Idjit's mom

Ziggy is adorable! And yes, he's going to make a mess. So did my kids, so does my husband still and I've kept him for 45 1/2 years (!). It's all doable, you will succeed.

Beth 73 and Kris & Teasel like this.
  46. Natalie and Ziggy

Natalie and Ziggy Member

Oh no! My dad just told me that he’s going to have them do blood work on Ziggy, and if anything comes up, he’s going to put Ziggy down today!

I’m going to plead with him to be patient. I was afraid he’d take matters into his own hands like this

47. Megan and Tessie

Megan and Tessie Member

It's always good to have his stool checked but I really hope they don't put him to sleep! Especially seeing that the vet said dry food was okay for a diabetic cat, I would seriously question his advice and knowledge about the condition. I just ordered Slippery Elm and did a little more research before purchase...looks like it can be miraculous for cats (and people) with intestinal and stomach problems. I really feel your kitty will improve once properly treated and I am praying he gets that chance!!

48. Megan and Tessie

Megan and Tessie Member

I feel so bad for you and Ziggy! You must feel such a lack of control right now. Plead with your dad to let you have your chance with him. After moving him in with you, if treatment for some reason doesn't work, you could always euthanize at that point.

49. Natalie and Ziggy

Natalie and Ziggy Member

I’m doing what I can and begging him to give me a chance to help Ziggy, but he says his mind’s made up. I’m going to keep talking to him.

I told him the dry food has probably been counterproductive to his recovery, but he says the vet says otherwise and he’s trusting her judgment 100%.

It’s so hard because I’m at work right now and I can’t sit down and try to reason with him!

50. Megan and Tessie

Megan and Tessie Member

Keep us updated Natalie. I am thinking of you and really hoping that this works out. Poor Ziggy :(

51. Squalliesmom

Bloodwork results are usually not available immediately following testing, they probably won't have them until tomorrow! Tell your dad to wait. If Ziggy is your cat and you have made the arrangements to move him in with you, I don't see why, or even what say your dad has in putting him to sleep!!!

52. Megan and Tessie

Megan and Tessie Member

That's a great point. If you really wanted to get serious about it, you could even call the vet and tell them that Ziggy belongs to you, not your dad and give explicit instructions to NOT have him euthanized.

53. Squalliesmom

That's a great idea!!!

54. Natalie and Ziggy

Natalie and Ziggy Member

Called the vet and said just that. They were supportive of the idea of home testing, and corroborated a lot of what all of you have said regarding his symptoms. They suggested a mix of dry and wet food. More when I get a chance!

55. Natalie and Ziggy

Natalie and Ziggy Member

Sorry for double-posting, but I’m just so worried. I wish I could cry, but I’m at work. :(

56. Megan and Tessie

Megan and Tessie Member

Have you received an update yet? Did the vet agree not to put him to sleep when you called? I keep thinking of you guys!

57. Olive & Paula

Hang in. If they suspect infection, maybe an antibiotic could help, but try to tell them no convenia. Can also try putting some probiotics in the food.

Just thought of something. Which dry food are they using? Dry food from Friskies is making a lot of cats sick. Clean Protein dry is fairly low carb, you can order from chewy and have it sent to your parents house so they can at least start.

58. Olive & Paula

Here is an idea that might not work but thought I would put it out there. Any way you can take tomorrow off (use a sick day, vacation day) making it a long weekend and go get him?

59. Natalie and Ziggy

Natalie and Ziggy Member

No update yet. The vet agreed not to put him to sleep, but she did say she would contact me regarding the results of his tests.

Ziggy’s dry food is Purina One Tender Selects. His wet food is Friskies Gourmet Gravy Soft. I know gravy isn’t supposed to be great for diabetic cats, though. We gave him pate when I lived with my parents.

I wish I could, but I just started this job recently and haven’t accrued enough time to take the day off. I wish they could just wait two more days so I can go get him.

60. Olive & Paula

It could be the gravy, it's a long shot though. All my cats get sick from any food with gravy or sauce, shredded, or minced pieces. Any new flavor or food introduced gives them diarrhea.

Keep us posted.

61. Natalie and Ziggy

Natalie and Ziggy Member

No time to go into detail, but the vet just told me that aside from his blood sugar levels and the symptoms they’re causing, Ziggy is otherwise fine. They’ve outlined a treatment plan, so they will advise against putting him to sleep today. My parents seem to be in agreement. I feel much better now, and hopefully he will, too. <3

62. Megan and Tessie

Megan and Tessie Member

You're right about gravy not being good for diabetic cats...that's what is given when their blood glucose drops too low to prevent/treat hypoglycemia. The Friskies pate is on the approved list for sugar kitties though :) Plus the big cans are right around $1 at Walmart and Dollar General.

That is amazing!! I'm so relieved and happy for you!

63. Kris & Teasel

Great news!! We're here to help. :D

64. Laly&Kitiara

Laly&Kitiara Member

Hi Natalie, this is Laly and Kitiara from Argentina. Ziggy is a real cutie. I agree that the wood origin litter is great, until I discovered it I was using a big trash bag that I opend up the middle and lined the tray with that. On top of the plastic sheet I would add an absorvent liner/pad (the kind they use to potty train puppies) which worked out great absorving all the liquid that would otherwise accumulate at the bottome on the tray. And I then would add the clay litter.
    I still recomend the plastic liner because it makes it so easy to through away the last of the litter and because the training mats are so cheap I am keeping them as well.
    If your parents could adopt some of this measures I trust it would make their lifes easier and best of lucks to you if Ziggy moves in with you.
    I am also new to the site and was in a real panic at first, thinking how my adored Kitiara was suffering and panicking that she was not going to make it. the symptoms are scary. But then I calmed down and thought not only about all the other diabetic pets but diabetic people who deal with this every day and still thrive. And also this forum has been a fantastic support. Best of lucks :bighug:

65. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Good news!

Weekend is almost here and you will be able to sort all this out.

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Bellasmom likes this.
  66. JanetNJ

This is a good list.... you can forward it to dad. You want to pick a food under 10% carb. (Under 7 is better) No gravy, no carb. Most of us feed fancy feast classic or Friskies pate foods. The purina food is 30-35% carb. Ditch it immediately. The other food is around 13%... A bit high but not as bad as the dry.
    http://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf

67. Olive & Paula

Wonderful. Saturday is almost here.

Bellasmom likes this.
  68. Natalie and Ziggy

Natalie and Ziggy Member

Thank you, everyone. Ziggy's home now and resting for his big day on Saturday. :)

The vet recommended an Alpha Track kit for Ziggy's home testing, and they said they can order it for me for $100 (or talk to a vet down here in Portland and see if they can get it for cheaper). I think I might shop around tomorrow after work for another meter that would work just as well. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could use? I do know there are some helpful guides around here for home testing that I've been reading through.

69. Bellasmom

Almost all of us use human meters, you can get one at Walmart relion confirm or micro,I think around 20.00 test strips are cheap, you will also need lancets, I use relion prime requires a little more blood but didn’t realize when bought it, the confirm and micro need less blood

70. Olive & Paula

A lot of people use Wal-Mart brand. The confirm and micro use the smallest size blood drop like the alpha track. The Prime meter uses bigger drop but the strips are cheaper.

71. Bellasmom

Great mind think alike Paula lol

72. Olive & Paula

Well of course.

73. JanetNJ

$100 is nuts. It's half that on amazon. I love my alphatrak but the strips are expensive. We have learned the insulinx strips (10-20$ for 50 strips on eBay) also work in the Alphatrak. If the cost is prohibitive then get a human meter such as the relion micro or confirm .

74. Veronica & Babu-chiri

You will be needing a lot of strips and a lot of lancets so I think that the one you can most easily get the strips (in case you are running low and need more ) and that is ok with your budget ( so that you don't have to spend all your money in strips) because you are working so one less thing to worry about and that is easy to get ( no special trips to vet or anything ) is better

I use a human meter that I can buy the strips in a pharmacy that is about a block away from my house and open 24 hrs (also there is no Alpha Track or pet meter where I live ) so in the worst case scenario I can run and buy more or pick them on my way back from the office.

75. Erin720

Erin720 Member

@JanetNJ Have you tried the insulinx strips in the Alpha Trak? Accurate? I was using Freestyle lite instead of the AT strips but even the Freestyle lite ones were $50.

76. Natalie and Ziggy

Natalie and Ziggy Member

I think I'll look around for something like the relion micro or confirm when I get out of work tomorrow, because the price of the Alpha Track is a little too high for me at the moment (Ziggy's appointment today was very expensive, and I have other payments I have to make before the end of the month). I admit I'm a little confused about how the meter, the lancets, and the strips all fit together, or rather, how to go about making sure they're all compatible and which will be most effective. I wish they said "for total beginners" on the packages! But these suggestions have been very helpful.

Thankfully, work is the only thing I really need to worry about as far as my time is concerned, and my coworkers step out to take care of their pets all the time. I haven't accrued much vacation time yet, but once I do, I'll have a lot to use, so trips to the vet during the day will be possible if necessary. And I usually just stay home when I'm not working, so I'll have plenty of time to be with Ziggy. :cat:

77. Squalliesmom

confirm.jpg $14.98 @ Walmart test strips.jpg $35.88/100 or $19.98/50 @ Walmart

lancets.jpg $1.48 @ Walmart

Those will get you started. You can also opt for the Relion Prime meter and strips, but they require a larger drop of blood for testing. The kit comes with a lancing device; some of us use one and some of us just free-hand it. It's just a matter of personal preference, and which method seems to be most agreeable to your kitty! :cat:

ETA: If you don't like the blue meter, it also comes in pink, lol! ;):)

78. Olive & Paula

Brand of lancets isn't important. The gauge is. The smaller the number the bigger the needle point is. So you can get the most inexpensive ones. Ears have to learn to bleed. Starting with 26g or 28g is good. Then as your technique improves you can use a 30g or higher.

Syringes are important and you might have to shop around for ones you like. The ones with 1/2 unit marks are the best. Walmart has them. Though employees don't know they have them. I believe the box is purple. Make sure you really look and read the box.

Also getting them from ADW is pretty decent in price. I personally like the monoject brand

https://www.adwdiabetes.com

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  79. Squalliesmom

No, I know, just trying to simplify things for her! ;):bighug:

80. Olive & Paula

Sorry didn't mean to jump in. I see you replied before I corrected the typo.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  81. Squalliesmom

No, no Paula, you didn't jump in, it's fine! :) And I figured you meant lancets, not planets, lol. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

82. Olive & Paula

Auto word at its best.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  83. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi Member

I felt this way too. Ask here and don’t fret- it’s not that hard. The spreadsheet thing totally had me freaked out and I even got that, even though mine is messed up and the wrong one ha! I’m going to start over tomorrow with the new insulin.

I’m excited to hear your and Ziggy’s journey!

84. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

Flipping well brilliant news to start my weekend.
    I am so very pleased for you and Ziggy.

Fab :bighug:

85. Idjit's mom

Wonderful news. I wasn't sure I could do the sticks for the blood glucose tests, the first ones were rough, I compared DH and myself to Laurel and Hardy! But, we persevered, and now Idjit lays in dad's lap/arms, and lets me do the poke. I put some rice in a thin sock, warm in microwave for 15 seconds, run it over his ears, head chin, the lightly press over the outside and inside ears. Idjit was even purring once. We are less a comedy team each time, in fact we are getting pretty good :) It's over quickly, he gets his treat, and usually a meal, so he's all good. Watch the videos, use the tips and you will do great!

Squalliesmom likes this.
  86. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Steph & Quintus & L & O Well-Known Member

Just caught up with this thread, SO glad you have a solution!

87. Squalliesmom

Squallie actually comes to me now when he sees me get his kit out! I never dreamed I'd see that day when we first started this dance!

88. Laly&Kitiara

Laly&Kitiara Member

What wonderful news Natalie good for you! You really worked hard at this and it payed out. I am so glad for Ziggy and so glad your parents have come around. Enjoy your week-end and relax! You´ve earned it. :)

89. Natalie and Ziggy

Natalie and Ziggy Member

Thank you!

I’m mostly nervous about introducing him to blood testing, but he’s been so patient with everything else. I’m hopeful!

My parents just bought a pack of wet food for him for when I pick him up tomorrow. It’s all gravy, though. Apparently the vet says he can have it, and he likes eating it. I know gravy isn’t supposed to be good for diabetic kitties, as some of you have said, so I’m a little disheartened (even if my parents meant well by buying it). I feel like the vet isn’t giving the best advice, but I don’t want to pretend that I know better when I’m still new to this. I’m glad I can rely on everyone here for help!

Squalliesmom likes this.
  90. Megan and Tessie

Megan and Tessie Member

Here is what I use for Tessie:

Walmart Shopping List

ReliOn Confirm Meter - I bought the kit which includes a small carrying case, a lancing device, and 10 lancets.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/ReliOn-Confirm-Blood-Glucose-Monitor-Blue/13863716

The Confirm and Micro BG meters use the same test strips. The ReliOn Prime meter has much cheaper test strips (not compatible with Confirm or Micro) but requires a larger drop of blood. I'm very happy with the Confirm meter because starting off, you don't know how well their ears will bleed and I really didn't want to have to poke her extra just because I couldn't get enough blood for Prime. Now that her ears have learned to bleed more, I am considering getting the Prime meter, but like I said, glad I started with Confirm.

ReliOn Ultra-Thin Lancets, 30 Gauge - These are the tiny needles that fit into the lancing device. A lot of people start off with 29 gauge (a little bigger needle) to make sure they get a nice drop of blood. I had no problems with the 30 gauge but luckily, they're are super cheap so you could probably get both to experiment.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/ReliOn-30-Gauge-Ultra-Thin-Lancets-200-Ct/43184842

ReliOn Confirm/Micro Test Strips - The strips are the most expensive part of testing.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/ReliOn-Confirm-Micro-Blood-Glucose-Test-Strips-100-Ct/16795579

A sock filled with rice/oatmeal - I warm this up in the microwave for 30 seconds then hold it on her ear to increase blood circulation. I continue to use it for pressure when I prick her ear. You could also use a small pill bottle filled with warm water for the same effect.

Neosporin with Pain Relief - After warming her ear, I apply Neosporin to the edge where I'm planning on pricking. It really helps the blood bead, making it much easier for the test strip to suck up. Vaseline will do the trick, as well.

ReliOn Insulin Syringes ( 3/10mL, 31 gauge, 8mm (5/16")) - Tessie gets ProZinc Insulin which is a U-40 strength. The coordinating needles are a little bigger and she was sensitive to the pain. Since then, we now use the conversion chart to U-100. These are around $12 from the Walmart Pharmacy, the cheapest I've found. They also have the half measuring units which is important to me for precise dosing. FYI - When I first asked the pharmacist about syringes with 1/2 unit markings, he didn't think they carried any. So I looked at what they did have, and sure enough, they were the half unit syringes. So not all pharmacists are aware.

I hope this helps you when you go shopping for Ziggy!

91. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

One step at a time. Ziggy will be new to your apartment, and there will be an adjustment period. Don't worry if you can't do everything at once. You'll both be getting used to each other again for a bit. Take your time learning all the steps in this sugardance.

Deep breaths, relax, repeat as necessary. You've got this, and folks here have your back.

92. Natalie and Ziggy

Natalie and Ziggy Member

Thank you, Squalliesmom! I picked these up today, along with a few other things that Ziggy will be needing. Got him some Friskies pate food, too, which he's always seemed to enjoy. I think that should be good for now, just to get him acclimated to a wet food-only diet again.

I looked for a pink meter, but they only had blue. :oops:

I also bought some Neosporin, as you suggested. I totally forgot the rice/oatmeal, though. I think we have some here at the apartment, though.

I admit I'm a little worried about Ziggy's bathroom needs during his long trip tomorrow. My mom is driving him down and I'm meeting her halfway to pick him up, since the distance between our houses is so big, and no doubt he's going to have to do his thing at some point. My mom was considering taking a collar and leash with her, just to see if he could use the bathroom outside when we meet up, but I don't think Ziggy would take very well to that. :nailbiting:

93. Squalliesmom

You are more tan welcome!

Please tell your Mom not to try letting him out in an unknown, unfamiliar area with a collar/harness and leash! Cats are Houdinis when it comes to getting out of harnesses (and especially collars!) and that's a situation that could end in loss and tragedy, especially if there is traffic nearby. Since this is kind of an extreme situation, I wouldn't worry too much about bathroom breaks, just get him to your place as quickly and smoothly as possible. If he has to go and goes in his carrier, it will clean up! The minor discomfort to him is a better prospect than the above. (My little girl came up to Maryland from South Carolina and made it all the way without accident or incident)

94. Bellasmom

Gonna be in a carrier? If so what I would do it bring a couple towels and if Ziggy pees just replace it,with clean towel

95. JanetNJ

Most of the time the insulinx strips have been accurate. Yesterday they were off for me and have me a scare. My cat read 54 on the insulinx strips, but then I tested again with the alpha strips and it was 80. I have a tab on my spreadsheet showing the comparison numbers I have taken so far.

96. Squalliesmom

Much better plan than trying to let him go on a leash!!! :)

Critter Mom likes this.
  97. Natalie and Ziggy

Natalie and Ziggy Member

Yes, I was afraid of how Ziggy would react to being let out to do his business! I will tell my mom not to let him outside.

He's always been an indoor kitty, so he would no doubt be completely freaked out by being outdoors, too.

98. JanetNJ

Just put puppy training pads in the carrier. You can use making tape to keep them in plac.

Critter Mom and Squalliesmom like this.
  99. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

This is a great end to the start of a very sad story!

Can't wait for you to get back home and then start his journey into recovery!

100. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Natalie, TOTALLY AGREE with Lucy( squalliesmom).... Ziggy must remain in carrier . He will be enduring a lot just traveling . Whatever mess may be made can be cleaned up later but he MUST remain in his carrier. I personally would NOT EVEN OPEN the carrier at all until you have him safely in your apartment so there is no chance he might escape .Praying for an uneventful , safe trip for your mom and you :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.