Dosecrease?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Giomax, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Giomax

Giomax Member

Prev thread: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/2-10-max-better-numbers-but-vomiting-help.210595/

I haven't been able to test Max much at all lately--mostly just for AM and PM shots. Been working with no days off. That said, I doubt he's had many decent numbers. Are these icky pinks and reds a result of the craziness that's been going on? Does that skipped shot on the 10th contribute? Should I go up to 5.5? If so, when? I have Mon-Wed off next week and I can do curves, monitor, whatever I need. I just want to get his numbers down. Neuropathy is not being Max's friend.

Also, Max is getting tired of eating the same three varieties of FF paté and I suspect the fact he was eating it the day he vomited 7-8 times makes it all a bad memory. Probably triggers nausea in the mind. I've tried spoon feeding, warming it, mixing puréed chicken baby food with it. He'll eat when he's hungry, that's never a problem, I can just tell he doesn't enjoy it. Lately I've had to resort giving him gravy pates from Friskies in order to get him to eat when he takes his medicine (the hospital gave me an antibiotic that needs to be taken with food) and I know that isn't helping his high numbers any. Does anyone have any other LC food choices that aren't FF Classic paté? I know there's a comprehensive food list and I plan on taking another look, just didn't know if anyone wanted to recommend something in particular.

Thanks, guys!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Friskies pate's are low carb as are the Sheba pates.....might want to try some of those

3. Crista & Ming

Crista & Ming Well-Known Member

Pricier options: Weruva brand but they're not pates and you have to check out the chart to know which flavours are low carb and Nature's Variety Instinct Chicken

Here's the list: https://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf

But yes, Sheba pates are the cheaper option.

Have you tried topping his food with LC treats like freeze dried chicken or bonito flakes? Fortiflora is also a tasty thing to sprinkle on top but you'll need to get that from the vet and it's pricey. I just have it to entice Ming to eat when he's going through p'titis flares.

4. Cindy&Taco

Cindy&Taco Member

5. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

6. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Fancy Feast also has some 'appetizers' - small non-canned foods on the highest shelf at Walmart - all meat - it's usually shredded chicken and the other one is seafood in a juice - no gravy. It's about $1 per item. I'll feed Luci those when she gets tired of FF pate'. I also have to rotate her FF pate's. I believe I've found at least 15 or so that are LC. I can send you my list if you'd like.

7. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

With the skipped shot on the PM of the 10th, the count starts over for 6 cycle for this dose. If you could get some test in today at least mid cycle to see what is happening with this dose and if he hasn't hit a green, I would increase the next cycle where you can monitor.

8. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Giving the gravy pates could be the cause of needing more insulin.

For other food. ProPlan Chicken & Spinach pate is 2%. So is their Beef & Carrot pate.

FF Medley Primavera white meat chicken with garden vegetables PATE (make sure it's pate) is 3%. Their roasted turkey is 6%.

All my kitties get 5 flavors a day. Nothing twice in a row. The roasted they only get when I need to boost Olive. They like it when that happens.

9. Tom & Thomas (GA)

Tom & Thomas (GA) Member

The five Flaked varieties of Fancy Feast also count as low carb -- 4%-6% vs 1%-3% for the patés. Maybe just enough of a change without hitting the Gravy Lover's train.

Tell Max we're all rooting for him.

Sue and Luci and Giomax like this.