? Dosing advice for Baby Girl Kitty please.?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Becky & Baby Girl GA, May 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

Hi there everyone! I’m Becky & my Baby & I would like some help. I would like someone to advise me on a starting Lantus dose. Baby is on metronidazole for an intestinal bacteria. We’ve been on Prozinc since January & it hasn’t seemed to work very well. I’m hoping a depo insulin will do better for her. Should I wait till she’s better & off the metronidazole or go ahead? .5 or 1.? Thank you anyone that can help us!!

2. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hi Becky and welcome to the L & L forum. A few questions:

How long will she be on the metronidazole and how much does Baby weigh?

She and Bubba have the enucleation in common. His was right eye only due to iris melanoma.

Becky & Baby Girl GA likes this.
  3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Welcome. Your starting dose will partially depend on whether you use TR or SLGS. are you able to test after the PMPS? I see lots of day tests but nothing at night after PMPS. Many cats drop lower at night. Max did.

4. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Baby weighs 8lbs & at least another week - 10 days on the meds. After day 5 of meds, her stool is finally improving. I need to put that in my signature statement. Yes poor babes, but I’m glad Bubba only lost one!

5. Becky & Baby Girl GA

I choose SLGS & yes I can do more testing & have planned to. She hates it but it’s necessary to do more when starting something new. I’m home most of the time so I can keep an eye on her also. Thank you both @tiffmaxee & @Bobbie And Bubba!!!

6. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Great that you will be able to test more at night. Please also add SLGS to your signature. The starting dose with SLGS is usually 1.0 but since your cat has been on insulin already I’d be inclined to start higher. Let me tag some peop,e to get their opinions. @Wendy&Neko @Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey @Kris & Teasel

7. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

My inclination is to say 1.5 u because it's close to her current ProZinc dose and you can monitor. I love your new avatar picture of her! :)

8. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I'd strongly encourage at least a "before bed" test at night. I see her SS tends to show higher preshots in the AM. It's possibly she goes lower at night (like many cats) and what you are seeing in the morning is a bounce.

We do take the dose of the existing insulin in mind when we consider where to start Lantus. A month ago, Baby was seeing greens on 1.2 units, but that intestinal bug seems to be raising her numbers so that 1.5 Kris suggests might be a better starting point.

9. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Ok 1.5 scares me only because she’s been sick & the vet seemed to think that’s why her numbers are elevated right now. But, on the other hand it may help her get better more quickly. She is on B12 cyano for absorption issues too. She lost a pound in a month & is eating like a horse. Should I wait with the switch or go ahead?

10. Becky & Baby Girl GA

I was answering before I read your post Wendy. Ok I’ll do some before bed shots & start at 1.5. Thank you all so much!
    Actually I go to bed soon after the pm shot but I’ll just sleep later in the morning! :smuggrin: Early to bed & early riser!!

11. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Good plan. Get some before bed shots to make sure your current Prozinc dose isn't taking her low at night, and if not, go for 1.5.

12. Bobbie And Bubba

Good luck Becky! And one other thing, test for ketones while she is in these higher numbers just to be safe and know that the weight loss isn't from ketones present.

Do they know what kind of bacteria is in her intestines?

13. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Ok I usually test weekly but will get another tonight. I brought in a fecal sample plus she did x-rays because she was so bloated. But I did not ask which kind. Just loads of gaseous build-up. Light colored blobs for stool. Today is the first day for seeing some formation there.
    What’s crazy is that she was shot with a B.B. in her upper right shoulder area at some point in her young life. (Before she arrived on my patio in 2006) poor lil girl.. thank you again Bobbie, so grateful for everyone helping us!! I need a double eye patch for Baby- Bubbas looks nice! Great idea!

14. Bobbie And Bubba

My son photo shopped it on his avatar.

Poor baby girl. Another thing you can do is give her some S. Bougarddi probiotics. The one I give is Florastor and you can get it at a CVS. While she is having diarrhea, give her 1/2 capsule sprinkled in her food twice a day ( Bubba does not detect it in his food at all) . When the diarrhea goes away, you will continue for 3 more days then go to a maintenance dose of 1/4 capsule for about a week. I am giving to Bubba right now as he has been on an antibiotic for a tooth extraction.

There is another brand called Jarrow online, a lot cheaper, but it's bitter in taste due to MOS they add and you'd have to put it is a gel cap as she probably would not tolerate it in her food. Another brand is Renew Life.

15. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Yes I have the Jarrow & you are right, it’s bitter. If I put a very small amount on her food, she’s ok. I try to do a little in the morning & some in the evening. I’ll have to buy the Florastor at CVS as she may not be getting enough to do any good. I believe she may need it forever because this is her 3rd bout of diahpoo since the diabetes dx last year.

16. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Becky, I didn’t realize you were switching to Lantus. Good luck! I hope BGK’s diapoo gets better!!!!

17. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Thank you @Sharon14 - I will switch next Monday as this week is very busy. I want to be available as much as possible to test & stay with her. My grandson has pre-school graduation. :eek: My sons 38th birthday party & I actually decided to purchase a new used car today. I need to go & get all that paperwork done. Plus the illness makes me hesitate & want to wait a few days. That’s busy for me.?.? :cat:

Djamila and Sharon14 like this.
  18. Becky & Baby Girl GA

My vet said to be careful as she gets better, her bg will go down. Tonight’s pmps was 245 - huge bounce or she’s getting better finally! But I will test more often this week & try to see which ways she’s going.
    As I said in my last post that I’ll be busy all this week so I don’t plan on starting until the 28th. (Changed my other mind)... :rolleyes: still many thanks & I can’t wait to join you guys!

19. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome to Lantis land :) I think you will like the depot. Bless her little heart. Hope you get the poo under control. :bighug:

Last edited: May 19, 2018
    Reason for edit: Can't spell
  20. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Thank you Angela! I’m sure hoping for a big change for the better! Feeling positive... :)

Phoebes (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.