Essential tremors, anyone using Lancet pens?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Indigo, Nov 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Indigo

Indigo Member

Okay so I have been diagnosed with Essential Tremors, some days are better than others and I am just getting into this testing, injecting, and everything associated with feline diabetes. I have purchased the alphatrak 2 monitor I have the kit with the lancets, pen ect..

My best friend Jackson is a laid-back guy, he will let me Slicker brush his belly and relax across my chest while I do it :rolleyes: but I am concerned after watching a video in the forum on how to take a blood sample, the owner held the Lancet in her hand and did not use a pen.

Does anyone use a Lancet pen? Is it harder to obtain a blood sample from the ideal spot on a cat's ear using the pen? From looking at the photos of the perfect place to test, it doesn't look like an easy shot. If this can't be done, I'll have to get a nearby friend to check his blood sugar for me quite possibly. Bear in mind, essential tremors are a lot like Parkinson's tremors.

So I need some advice, and here I find myself again in this fabulous place...

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

I have a family member who has essential tremors, so I am familiar with them. They can make doing anything 'intricate' with your hands very hard. So, I am sorry about your diagnosis and the added challenge it presents in caring for Jackson. :bighug:

I have never used the lancet device. I did not want the click to scare Mia, nor did I want the bulk of it or just another item to deal with during the process. I hold the lancet in my hand and poke with it. I think it allows me to better see where I am poking and to control it. I like FreeStyle 28 gauge lancets. I tried a couple of other brands (that were cheaper), but they were skinnier, and I did not find them as easy to hold/use. Aiming for the right area of the ear is not too much of an issue when your hands are steady, but it will no doubt be more challenging for you when your tremors are bad.

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  3. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

@Noah & me (GA) Dickson, didn't you use a larger barreled Lancet for testing, that might be a better tool?

Noah & me (GA) and Indigo like this.
  4. Indigo

Indigo Member

Makes perfect sense that the click would frighten the cat. I will definitely look into those freestyle 28 gauge lancets. Looks like I will be doing the blood collection prick by hand :nailbiting:

5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I have always used a lancet pen. When I started I tried just with the lancet but with the lancet still in the ear my cat pulled away and the ear was ripped a little. It did bleed a lot. Some lancet pens are better than others. Most pens come with an option clear cap which is used in humans for alternate-site (other than finger tips) test and I use the clear caps.

6. Indigo

Indigo Member

That might be a good idea ... I'm also thinking that I can create something perhaps out of silicone or wood i don't know, something that holds the lancet

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  7. Idjit's mom

I think I remember Dickson using a different brand that was a little larger, easier to hold and manipulate. When he sees the tag, I'm sure he will respond. I hope you can find something that works well for you.
    Larry's suggestion for the clear cap is a good idea too. We free hand, our pen didn't work, a or we didn't have it out together correctly. We have up on it right away.

8. Indigo

Indigo Member

New to this so I'm not sure about the clear cap, but it's good to know that someone tests their cat with a Lancet pen. It's truly a relief. Now I need to find a clear tip Lancet pen. :rb_icon: Also I have another question for you seeing's how you test in this manner, what setting do you have on your pen? I'm going to be getting a new pen but the one that comes with the alphatrak meter has 5 settings for depth. I'm a newbie! Thanks in advance.

9. Indigo

Indigo Member

Will definitely look out for his response appreciate the help.

10. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I used an ordinary lancet holder and had no problems at all. Your cat will get used to the noise. Maybe click it near him often to desensitise him.
    Some people just like to use the lancet alone but I felt I had a lot more control with the holder.
    It is all a matter of practise to get it right so don’t stress. Just choose the way you feel most comfortable and confident with :)

11. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

I have broken all my fingers, some more than once, one thumb and shattered my wrist. Migraines, anxiety, Trigeminal neuralgia/tic douloureux, I've got it all.
    Like those fat pens that make it easier to write I used BD Lancets like below. Free handed, no device, I've done it in the dark with a screaming migraine. They come in 29 to 31 gauge, color coded.
    bd_lance01.jpg bd_lance02.JPG

I also have two of these, not made anymore. The world's biggest keyboards, Microsoft Natural Pro. You can still find them on Amazon. This stuff saved my sanity and two cats from a lot of grief. Thanks Lou.
    ms_keyboard001.jpg natural_keyboard_pro001.jpg

Attached Files:

Indigo likes this.
  12. Noah & me (GA)

Don't mean to clog things up. In 10 years (maybe) we're going to see millions of people with cramped up hands from using idiotic stupid tiny keyboards. This is the most unnatural way to type and if you've got arthritis or any kind of hand injury you're just making everything worse.
    A rollerball mouse can be hard to get used to (I have to use a mouse) but it can be worth it.
    rollerball_mouse01.jpg

13. Indigo

Indigo Member

BD Lancet ... looking into that now & thank you ever so much :bighug: and As to the world's biggest keyboards ...wow those are cool

14. Noah & me (GA)

You can thank Lou for tagging me. This is why this site works so well and why it's so easy to care for each other.
    Lou is Idjit's mom and just like everyone else we all know some small detail about each other; where good vets and pet sitters are, where to get cheaper supplies, who's got a nasty case of hemorrhoids etc.
    One day that will be you. Lou tagged me because she knows everything, do you know how to tag someone. Type @, then type the first 2 or 3 letters of someone's avatar name. As you do this a list will appear with possible matchups. Click on the right name and Presto! What seems so hard for you right now doesn't have to be, give Jackson a little ear pull for me. :smuggrin:

Veronica & Babu-chiri and Indigo like this.
  15. Idjit's mom

Not nearly everything, my friend. I just remember some things. And yes, @Indigo, we share whatever we know, what works for us, we care very much.

16. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

You can also use the lancet device without the "clicking".....just load the lancet into it and don't worry about setting the depth or anything....Just use it like it was an "extra long" lancet

It's a lot easier than trying to make your own out of wood or silicone

Indigo likes this.
  17. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Ana & Frosty (GA) Well-Known Member

I used the lancet device for my cat and it worked really well. I recommend using them even without a tremor. :)

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  18. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

I used the lancing device with my girl but I took the cap off. I found even the clear cap on mine more appropriate for a more "solid" poke spot like a finger. The click never bothered my fur child, but if it does, they can be desensitized to it by clicking it near them when you are not actually testing so they learn to ignore the sound.

Indigo likes this.
  19. Indigo

Indigo Member

Well I remember when I found this place, I was searching the internet desperately for information. One of the websites I landed on had a link to this website. When I click that link and landed here there was this wonderful purple rectangle that begged to be read... it was a welcome and it told me that I had arrived at the right place, I remember reading that twice. One of those could this be true moments.

Now in addition to being the proud owner of this fabulous feline, I am more confident, educated & knowing Jackson has a lifeline of people who care. I'm sure I'll have a hurdle or two along the way. But knowing I can reach out ...whatever the situation and receive some advice and perhaps a reassuring word or two, is the best feeling ever. Thank you:bighug:

20. Idjit's mom

I found this site in entirely the same way, via www.catinfo.org. I found all this incredible information, and exceptionally wonderful people. They calmed me down, reassured me, taught me. Idjit miraculously went into remission very quickly, and I'm sticking around to help whenever and however I can. Before you know it, you will be telling a new, scared and upset member that "it will get easier" and help them along.

21. Noah & me (GA)

Can I ask how your tremors got diagnosed? I've been in the neurological circus for years, it seems diagnosis is usually a case of ruling everything else out until only one answer is left. I always aim for things a bit to the left and a have lot of other just strange symptoms no one wants to talk about. The Mayo clinic page on Essential tremors is pretty non specific but talk of "genetic mutation" is creepy.
    I've learned to compensate for a lot of things and it's true that the human brain will often rewire and heal itself. I never did get to put the round peg in the round hole, I just got sent home and figured things out for myself.

22. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

I cannot 'free hand' with just a lancet - I must use a holder of some type. I've worn out several of them over the last almost 9 years. I've used many different types, the one I currently use I like best altho' it's made really 'cheap'. It's an off brand I got at Albertson's grocery store - click is really quiet and helps me steady my shaky hands.

Indigo likes this.
  23. Indigo

Indigo Member

Appreciate that, until I get this figured out I'm not going to test ...the vet has been recommending two units of insulin twice a day 12 hours apart I have been giving Jackson one unit of insulin twice a day and he's doing spectacular as far as his attitude playfulness and general being himself. I'm genuinely afraid to test! But I'll get there ...

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  24. Noah & me (GA)

I can only repeat what others will say, it's better to test. However, sometimes life just doesn't happen the way we want it to. For now stick to a low dose and watch him carefully, a low dose and higher numbers is easier to deal with than a HYPO. You have no idea what bad advice I've officially given you.
    If there's any guilt on your part remember what I said about my own health problems. There were many nights when I had less than five minutes to crawl into bed and start praying because of a sudden onset medical nightmare. On those nights Noah did not get his shot and spent the night alone. Start practicing slowly, it can be like poking through one ply of tissue and not going through the second ply but it will come to you.

Indigo likes this.
  25. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

you might want to look at the 25 gauge terumo needles they are very sharp and you hardly need to graze the ear for blood--I like them much better than a lancet or the loud thingy

Indigo likes this.
  26. Indigo

Indigo Member

Appreciate that, I've never heard of them but then again I'm a noob!

27. Indigo

Indigo Member

Truly appreciate that, I've been giving him one unit, because the vet was very matter-of-fact on two units... his reasoning was that during Jackson's diabetic curve he was high on his sugar, and he gave him two units of insulin. He felt much better. Well that was fine for the first couple days and then I found this place. My education of feline diabetes skyrocketed. The last thing I want to do is put him in a hypo event and from what I've learned testing his blood sugar is essential. He never once recommended home testing, or a meter. I have absolutely no experience with diabetes, human feline or otherwise. I am absolutely positive I'm going to have another 18 questions regarding testing and when to test, as these are things I still don't know. But as things progress and approach I take things one step at a time and I always check with this forum whether it's asking a question or searching. I was scared to death to give him his first injection. I've had one wet injection, but otherwise it's been fine so I know I'll get through this. I love your two ply tissue quote, it truly is looking just like that.

28. Noah & me (GA)

The reason you learn so much here is because diabetes in cats or dogs is not taught in veterinary colleges. It might be a one day seminar at best. My alternate vet was almost shocked that I home tested and told me he was proud of me. This guy soaks up knowledge like a sponge and his answer to "How much of this was part of the course" was zero. Many vets send their patients here.

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  29. Indigo

Indigo Member

I wish I have been sent here. He pointed to a tiny website printed at the very bottom of a page that had some pictures on it. And it was not this website, just an instructional video of how to give injections.

30. Molly and Sammy

Molly and Sammy Member

A person on another forum suggested Diostix (sp) to test bg by dipping them in urine if testing the traditional way is not possible. Perhaps someone here can elaborate? I'm able to test 90% of the time, but occasionally Sammy gets too aggressive and an alternative would be a comfort. This might help you as you're learning to test his ears?

31. Noah & me (GA)

My friend's vet had her do this with her dog, it's old school. That doesn't mean it didn't work but you'd either have to catch a stream of pee in flight or have a sterile box. Some people line a litter box with saran wrap for ketone samples.
    I Googled "are diastix strips to test for glucose accurate" and the results were pretty negative. Not accurate at low numbers, shows what the BG was 2 hours ago etc.
    It's the "Not accurate at low numbers" that is a killer. Some people have better luck testing the paw pads. There is a nasty idea out there that you can test your cat's nose. It's painful and too close to the eyes, that idea needs to go away.
    This isn't one video, it's a Youtube search on paw testing.
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=testing a cats paw pads for blood sugar

Indigo likes this.
  32. Squeaky and KT (GA)

I typed all this below last night then ISP went down...just getting back to post it:

How I get 'afraid to test' - I was a horrible needlephobic to the point I passed out if I wasn't sitting when I saw a needle...one doctor didn't believe me - until he had to pick me up off the floor. I missed my last vaccination as a 5 year old child as I clinched my butt cheek muscles so tight I bent 2 of their big needles and neither could give the shot. And I have to shoot my cat?

OK so now you can shoot - didn't think you could that either did you? I didn't...until I had to then I could.

NOW ......

Test yourself first - yes it's a pet meter but it will still sip. The lancet is a fresh one, pets and humans use same thing. Set pen on shallowest setting and cock it...some twist, some pull. Get out test strip and meter - since it's you, no need to barely insert strip in meter - you'll have 2 good hands. Now hold lancet against little finger of left hand just little down the pad from the nail - click. You won't feel like it did anything but it did - you may have to squeeze a bit like a pin stick. Put strip in meter, wait until the right signal shows for blood and put the strip to the blood. It will be on the end or either edge (by brand of strip), not on top of the strip. It's 'sipping'. VIOLA!

Work? May get an error reading due to human blood but that's OK - you see how it works. Believe me, after that first time, it's a LOT easier.

Now - I PROMISE you - in 2 weeks, you'll look back on this and wonder what the big deal was...pinky swear!

HUGS

33. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Problem with using Diastix is that glucose only shows if it's over the 'renal threshold', usually between 230 and 250. If bg is below that, it doesn't show and there's no way to spot a low reading using them. It DOES work over 250 - doesn't tell you how much over that, just that it's over....

34. Indigo

Indigo Member

It's a great idea I never did give that consideration. Never having used the pen or even done this LOL I am most certainly hesitant but I'm going to do that on myself this evening

Squeaky and KT (GA) likes this.
  35. Squeaky and KT (GA)

You are using regular syringes with the pen instead of the pen needles, right?

36. Noah & me (GA)

And a double pinky swear, infinity squared.
    1,000 years ago I stood in a vet's office with Nigel sitting patiently on the table. A scruff shot was demonstrated with an empty syringe and then the tech handed me the syringe, "Now you do it" like I was being offered the other half of a cookie. This was a Friday afternoon and I did catch the tech checking her watch.
    I used to "do" Nigel on the kitchen table. I spread out a towel so he'd have traction, thump the chair and call his name and up he came. It's not a myth that a cat knows you're trying to help and he was an Angel to begin with. What I said earlier about being able to do this in the dark was true. You'll work out your own system, sing your own song (Mama's gonna buy you a diamond ring) and this will be a distant memory.
    I have one regret and that is doing "The man thing" and always telling my wife I had things covered. She is smart and not squeamish but it's a mistake. A traffic jam or late appointment screws everything up so having a back up is important.
    After all that I can't help myself. Would you like to see the cat that loved riding in cars and made my life so much easier? Well of course you would!
    First is Nigel, then with his best buddy, Noah in my avatar and was his brother. And two more brothers and why we could never find the remote.
    Better days ahead for all of us. :) All together now, awwww! :rolleyes: :smuggrin:

nigel003.JPG hannah_nigel02 (2).JPG nigel_andrew01 (2).JPG

37. Molly and Sammy

Molly and Sammy Member

So in a pinch it could tell you he's at least high enuf to shoot. Not planning to do this, ear testing going pretty well, but curious.

38. Squeaky and KT (GA)

IN THEORY yes if you can get him to pee right before you need to shoot AND you know he's peed recently enough for 'current' glucose to be there rather than 4-5 hours earlier. All my dogs do pee on command but the cats....well...don't. :)

39. Molly and Sammy

Molly and Sammy Member

Thanks, I did think about that. We're actually doing well at ear testing 95% of the time. Yesterday was dicey. But today I rubbed his ear several times with neosporin w/pain relief, and it was better. I probably roughed him up a bit on Saturday, poor guy, and he rebelled. I really don't want to stalk the litterbox, will just be more careful poking.

Squeaky and KT (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.