Feeling incredibly frustrated...

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Haley&Diane, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Haley&Diane

Haley&Diane Member

Hi. So I'm almost certain I've given Diane two fur shots today. One yesterday morning and one over the weekend.

I honestly have no clue what I'm doing wrong. I shaved fur away to see better. I scruff and insert at the base of the triangle. This morning was a mess up bc I experimented with pulling back on the plunger to check that I didn't hit a vein bc I read to do that. She got antsy and it led to a fur shot. Not bothering with the pulling back on the plunger part again.

Tonight though I thought I was ready and she really does cooperate. But, somehow, I guess the needle didn't go in or something bc again it was wet on her skin afterward.

I know it'll get easier...only just started Saturday but I'm so frustrated about the misses and not being able to get into the routine of correctly giving shots. It doesn't help that she doesn't have that much scruff to really work with easily...she's tiny. The insulin is never going to work if I don't figure this out though. I'd consider other parts of her body but she doesn't tolerate being touched in those spots for shots.

Just needed to vent someplace and knew this is probably the best spot.

2. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Hi Diane! It definitely gets easier & unfortunately, whether it be fur shots or not being able to grab a BG when you want it, there are these moments that test us all! Be patient with yourself because you WILL get it :). Even once you get the hang of it, there are moments when things don't go right or as planned & thats ok.

What syringes are you using?

3. Haley&Diane

Haley&Diane Member

Thank you! I'm using relion 31 gauge. They are 6mm (15/16")

I do wonder if they're too short. I've never used ones this short before when doing insulin shots years ago....so I'm wondering if the length is throwing me off. Walmart pharmacy didn't really understand me when I asked for half unit markings and just said this is all they carry so idk if they have longer ones

4. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

That is SO frustrating!! It's hard not to beat yourself up about it but please don't! we have ALL been there!! You definitely will get it, and Diane will get used to the shot. I find it easiest to give Mowgli his shot when he is eating, I prepare his insulin and then get his food ready, that way he is SO excited for food he doesn't even notice the shot.

I don't bother with the pullback either FWIW :)

@JoyBee&Ravan had some good advice for me when I was struggling with Mowgli... I think you could put it into words best Joy... if you don't mind :oops:

Relax, give yourself a break, move on! it's so hard at first but you'll get there :bighug::bighug:

5. Penelope and Mačka

Penelope and Mačka Well-Known Member

I promise you will succeed very soon. You have to go frankly, no hesitation, and it will be quick. I used to have to fight with my cat and find all kinds of subterfuges to distract him, but after two months, I basically do it with one hand before he even realizes it!! Don’t be discouraged! It will all be okay!

Figaro's Liz and AmandaE like this.
  6. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

I use the short ones as well but some find it easier to use a longer needle. It may be the length thats throwing you.

The other thing is you can order syringes online from ADW & they have great prices and many options! https://www.adwdiabetes.com

7. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

I prefer the short ones as well - and no pulling back on the syringe (that's for another kind of injection) - the syringes being 15/16's allow you to just get it under the skin - and by holding up the scruff, if you use a longer needle on the end there's a possibility of going all the way thru and the insulin will just squirt out the other side (been there, done that)...so just get a good grasp on that scruff and inject firmly but gently - give the stopper a little press with your thumb or finger and the insulin is in - time for a treat - you may want to practice by using an empty syringe on an orange - just so you can get familiar with the syringe/press/withdraw feeling...I hope this makes sense and is helpful to you. :)

Perry & Jenn likes this.
  8. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Another option might be for you to forget trying to "tent". With China, I used a "wrist roll" method instead.

You grab some fur between your thumb and forefinger and then "roll" your wrist to gently pull the skin. Where the fur "breaks", you shoot.

It's kind of hard to describe, so hopefully this picture will help.
    China skin roll method with circle.jpg

9. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

I haven’t heard of this method! Very interesting! Can you do this in all the same places as the “tent” Chris?

LizzieInTexas and Tomlin like this.
  10. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes

LizzieInTexas, Tomlin and AmandaE like this.
  11. Jerry dutchboy

Jerry dutchboy Well-Known Member

Don't beat yourself up about it, it happens to us all even when we have been giving shots for ages. I've been there and bought the T-Shirt.. just forget it and move along telling yourself tomorrow will be better. Don't overthink it is my best advice otherwise you will start to doubt yourself. You've got this!:bighug:

Tomlin and Penelope and Mačka like this.
  12. Penelope and Mačka

Penelope and Mačka Well-Known Member

Yes! That's the method I'm doing more and more now.

13. Haley&Diane

Haley&Diane Member

Thank you all SO much for the words of encouragement! I did use a new syringe (without insulin) just to test pricking. I think I may have been too far up the scruff. I'll just go slower when it comes to shot time. Diane is really tolerant...so long as I don't take a while after inserting the needle. Poor thing has a weirdly shaved patch on her from me trying to clear the fur away while I get the hang of this. lol

I may try the wrist roll method too. That seems easier than the tent method, just because I'd be able to see the skin a little better.

I'm sure this won't be my last mini-freak out but hopefully by next week I'll at least have the shot part down mostly. :)

14. Jerry dutchboy

Jerry dutchboy Well-Known Member

You'll get there I know you will. :)

AmandaE likes this.
  15. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

LizzieInTexas, AmandaE and Tomlin like this.
  16. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Sounds like my guy... "don't freeze the kicker" :p. I either talk to him about his meal coming or sometimes I think of a fun or calming song through all of the BGs or Insulin :D. Try to set the mood...maybe I need some candles...LOL!!

Penelope and Mačka and AmandaE like this.
  17. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

Everything is incredibly frustrating at first, but it really does get better, and you'll figure out the best way to get it all done. And we've all been there -- some of us more recently than others (us!) -- so you aren't alone. :)

Penelope and Mačka likes this.
  18. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

I was going to suggest the wrist-roll method as well. I started off with tenting the skin and I shot in the scruff. I had SO many furshots that I started to syke myself out with fear at each shot time (how am I getting this wrong? Please don't be another furshot!). Someone suggested the wrist-roll method or I read it somewhere, I tried it, and I have had almost no problems since! I also found that the scruff just had way too much extra skin, so it caused me problems. I started using Lou's sides - he just lays on his side and I wrist-roll anywhere, and it goes in well and securely in that exposed skin. I found it especially helpful since Lou's almost entirely black on his back. Best of luck! It will get easier!

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  19. Haley&Diane

Haley&Diane Member

This morning was much better! No wetness on the skin so it definitely went in. I did it on the bed this time and I think her being higher up made it easier for me.

Yesterday was an off day...hopefully tonight's shot goes just as smoothly. :)

20. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Yay Diane :bighug::)!! It will go smoothly...sending easy injections vibes your way :D!

21. CandyH & Catcat

CandyH & Catcat Well-Known Member

one more thought -- someone told me to space the shots up and down the back, rather than shooting into the scruff -- which on Catcat is narrow anyway -- I use the roll method that Chris nicely illustrated, on the left side for morning, right side for evening, and anywhere from just behind shoulders, to just above where his flanks angle inward -- skin over that area is looser, easier to manipulate, easier to get a "space" under the skin so the insulin goes where it should ;)

as I am injecting, leaving it in place for a second or two afterward, I sing a chorus or two of a song, Catcat seems to enjoy that, though other humans run the other way...:eek:

you'll get it -- :bighug:

Tomlin likes this.
  22. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

It seems like such a long time ago!:)
    [​IMG]
    When I first started ,17 months ago, I gave a fur shot using the scruff. I was so upset! I researched & came across this pic.

I now never give Ravan his shot in the scruff! I have all these other areas to choose from. Ravan is black. I don't tent the skin, I just part it & see his white skin & shoot at an angle. I've never done another Fur shot !

"Typically we are instructed to give the shot into the scruff at the back of the neck area which is not optimal because there isn't great blood flow in the scruff which can result in the insulin not being absorbed, or working as well as it should. The reason our vets teach us to inject in the scruff is because they won't get bitten if they give shots there.

Rotating where insulin shots are given is important to help prevent scar tissue from developing." http://www.diabeticcatcare.com/DCCCOK/Injectionsites.htm

I also found this info about repeated injections in the same area. " These studies also show that in some cats the mere process of instilling a substance into the skin can induce inflammation. There is speculation that this inflammation is not controlled in some cats and this might explain how this transforms into a sarcoma. "

Though still often called vaccine-associated fibrosarcoma, it is now known that many types of injections can cause this aggressive form of neoplasia in cat http://veterinarymedicine.dvm360.com/feline-injection-site-sarcomas-update

It may not be common, but why take a chance that he might get cancer!

This is another Pic I found helpful sweet SPOT.jpg

I've found the favorite word here is "PATIENCE" Take a couple of deep breaths . Learn as much as you can & it will be OK. Ask a LOT of questions! Everyone here is either going thru this like you or have already done so.
    We all want to help!:)
    [​IMG]

CandyH & Catcat, Tomlin and AmandaE like this.