First time curving Advice needed!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MrPou, Jan 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrPou

MrPou Member

Hi me and my cat are very new to this...we started today.
    7am 16.4 he ate 1/4 of dry hills w/d and 1/4 can wet w/d
    8am 20.9 - He received 1 unit of Prozinc
    9am 21.6
    10am 18.5
    11am 17.9
    12pm 19.6
    1pm 19.2
    2pm 16.3
    3pm 15.1
    He looked unwell all day until about now
    4pm 11.6
    5pm 10.7
    6pm 9.1 (gave him a few bites of canned food cause he's been a trooper all day and he was nibbling me)
    7pm 9.0 he ate the wet food only (didn't have a full 1/4 can) I didn't give him the dry food because of all the reading I have done on these forums. I cannot believe the vet sold me this food!
    8pm 10.3
    He is due for 1 unit of Prozinc and I fear this is low to give it to him?

He normally grazes throughout the day but I was told to only feed him 2x a day.
    Before today was on urinary SO (Royal Canin) because of urinary blocages he ate dry food his whole life and now I feel guilty :(

If anyone has any tips please reply. He's doing better at this than I am! He's not even fussy about the ear pricks.

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to you and MrPou to the forum
    I don't use Prozinc so am unable to help you but I will tag a couple of people who may be able to help.
    @Sue and Oliver (GA) and @Critter Mom and @Carol & Murphy and @Kris & Teasel are you able to help here please.

In the meantime could you tell us what meter you are using to test the blood sugars and what weight MrPou is please.
    Also in case he ever drops low, do you have some honey or Karo in the house you can give him?
    Here is a link to setting up a SS. It is much easier for people to help if they can see the numbers, thanks
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

Hopefully someone will be along soon

3. MrPou

MrPou Member

@Sue and Oliver (GA) has responded to my post in the advanced group for Prozinc, after the fact I realized I should have started here. Should I delete one? Sorry I have never forumed.

Mr Pou is 11lbs and 12 years old. Another concern is his water intake has drastically dropped today. Is this normal?
    I am using the contour next on the left [​IMG]
    And my vet did not even give me any guidelines on low blood sugar and what to have. I am a little worried I have a vet who doesn't care.

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I am glad you posted on the Prozinc forum and Sue responded!!
    I will paste this post to your other one in Prozinc.
    Some vets do not know a lot about feline diabetes. They have so many diseases to cover with so many different animals.
    He could be drinking less because he is having canned food instead of dry food and there is a lot more moisture in the canned....78% v 7% . If you are concerned you can add some warm water to his food if he will let you. If he is not dehydrated he is probably fine to leave and just watch his hydration.

5. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi,

I've replied on your thread in the Prozinc forum. :)

Mogs

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Good job home testing! Save that dm food as a mid carb option for steering numbers if he's heading low.

7. Lisa and Smoky

Lisa and Smoky Well-Known Member

A lot of members feed their cats several small meals a day. My boy Smoky has pancreatitis so he actually gets sick on two large meals a day. I also bought a petsafe five meal automatic timed feeder for him which I love.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.