First time testing

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Keni, Feb 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keni

Keni New Member

Hi all. I just tested my 17 year old Katya a half hour after eating. She was just diagnosed last Thursday and given Glargine. I tried to change her from free feeding to twice a day like the vet wanted but instead she stopped eating. Yesterday I got her eating again so today I wanted to test her and start the insulin. She ate about 3tbsp of wet Wellness core no grain and I tested her a half hour later. The result was a shock---77. Could it be low bacause she didn't eat etc.. I bought a RelOn Prime meter at Walmart

2. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi Keni,

(Just posted on your other thread).
    Can you confirm that Katya is not yet on insulin?
    That 77 is a nice normal number, and is lovely for a cat not on insulin. But for a cat on insulin it may need watching in case it drops lower.

Eliz

3. Keni

Keni New Member

Hi Eliz. Katya is NOT on insulin yet. I wanted to test her before giving her any and this is two days after her mini fast. I can't believe the vet never mentioned to me to get a meter and test her before giving her insulin. Thank God I did test her. Her values about 5 days ago were 400 and they did a fructosomine test before telling me she had diabetes. I'm not sure what to think. I'm going to get a ReliOn Confirm since that is suppose to take less blood. My Katya has very thin ears. She is buff and when I first brought her to a vet at 11 hours old he told me that only 10% of the buffs are female.

4. phlika29

phlika29 Well-Known Member

Hey that is a nice low number for a cat not on insulin. Please don't give any now. I would just allow her to free feed if she eats more this way.

I would then remove the food two hours before her next proper meal is due and test her again. If she is still that low then again no more insulin.

Stress, dry food can all raise blood glucose numbers so maybe it has dropped a lot. It might raise more when she eats more but maybe not that much.

5. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Well done with the home testing, Keni! :D

6. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Great job testing. 77 is a non-diabetic number. You do not want to give insulin with a BG that low. A change is diet can significantly lower the BG levels as you have seen. You may be lucky and not have to give insulin. She may become diet controlled.

If her numbers do get higher, then for newbies, we recommend 200 as the "Don't Shoot" number. Anything lower than 200 you want to hold off on giving insulin. This for your "pre-shot" reading. This would normally be taken several hours after the last meal. Food can significantly raise the BG reading, so if you test during the day after she has eaten, you should see a higher number. That is normal.

7. Keni

Keni New Member

A little update. I think my vet was a bit shocked at Katya's 77 reading. At my lunch time I ( work nights) I decided to go home and try to test her again. She was not very cooperative and hissed, growled , and contorted herself out of my reach. I decided to not continue since I knew the stress would shoot up her numbers. I phoned the vets office and made a 'tech' appointment so they could do an ear stick. Her value at the vet this morning was 196. Too high but better than the 400 initially. I imagine it would be maybe 10 or 20 lower if I figure in the stress she has at going to the vet. Will not start insulin yet. Gave her EVO today waiting on Young Again No Carbs

8. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

I've read here that vet stress can elevate BG by 100 points or more.

Are you giving diabetic-friendly treats as part of your test routine? They really can help a lot (makes it a special, overall positive experience :) ).

9. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

One research study found that vet stress could raise the glucose level 100-180 mg/dL.

bsmith and Critter Mom like this.
  10. jane and stewey

jane and stewey Member

Her blood sugar level won't peak for 2 hours after she eats. Let her eat then give insulin and check her sugar in 2 hours. It takes awhile to get into a stable routine and freguent testing is very stressful her. Stress will really elevate her sugar. I try to make her testing time stressless and she has come to identify her testing with food and with praise. Good luck from jane and stewey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.