FIV+ kitty with 600+ glucose level

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by PandaBear, Feb 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PandaBear

PandaBear New Member

Hi, Everyone!

My name's Katie, and my Panda was diagnosed a little over a month ago with diabetes.

He's FIV+, has peridontal disease, asthma, and now diabetes. At the time of his diagnosis, he was tested and determined that he also had pancreatis and an infection. He was given antibiotics for the infection, but I believe the pancreatis is still present.

I haven't been able to test is blood sugar levels at home. Bought all the stuff, but when I tried drawing blood he peed all over the kitchen floor. He's also been peeing in the bathtub when I give him baths.

His blood glucose levels were 600+. He was put on Vetsulin, 2 units, 2 times a day.

I believe he had diabetes about 5 months prior to his official diagnosis, because that's when the pee problems started. The vet initially thought it was a behavioral problem, but now we are hopefully on the right track to recovery.

It's been a struggle for us this last month, and so I'm here for some guidance.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Welcome.
    Vetsulin/Caninisulin are not that good for cats. They only last 8-10 hours. Good insulins are the human Lantus and Levemir and the pet insulins ProZinc and BCP PZI. For those two human insulin it is best to get the 5 pack of 3 ml disposable pens via a 10 ml vial. Although per ml the vial is less expensive most cats will not use up a 10 ml vial before the insulin goes bad/becomes ineffective. The human insulin N/NPH is sometimes prescribed but also only lasts 8-10 hours in cats.
    It is good that you are trying to home test. If someone is near you they may be able to help getting blood.
    Most of us here test our cat's blood glucose at home using a human meter. We test before each shot and periodically between shots. We record our reading and other info in a spreadsheet. See:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    What are you feeding? A low-carb canned is best. No reason for a prescription food. Here is a list of commercial low-carb canned
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/shortcut-shopping-list-all-8-or-less-updated.117688/
    Here is a link to home testing blood sugar
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/

If yo have any questions please posts in the Health forum
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/?order=post_date

Also, can you deleted your other posts? You can delete then if no one else posts a reply by using the Edit button

3. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Welcome Katie and Panda! Sounds like you have been through quite lot with your sweet Panda who is quite the cutie. We all understand the initial struggle....we've all been there. There is a learning curve and it can be steep in the beginning but soon you will be feeling much better and so will Panda.

Kudos for you for wanting to home test. It is the best way to keep Panda safe and to help get him regulated. Sounds like you gave up though when Panda peed on the floor. I can certainly understand how frustrating that must have been. I do however think it would be in Panda's best interest if you do try to home test. Some folks set a specific place in their home where they always test their cat. Food bribery (low carb protein treats) can help get kitty used to settling into their test spot quite willingly. As for Panda peeing when you try to test him, perhaps putting a puppy pee pad down on the floor for Panda to sit or stand on while testing would help until he gets used to the process. That way if he pees, it's a quick clean up.

We are full of tips and tricks to help you navigate this sugar dance so come join us over on the Health Forum with any and all questions you have.

Sam and Billy and Kris & Teasel like this.
  4. PandaBear

PandaBear New Member

Hi, Everyone,

Thank you for your responses!

I've been feeding Panda Fancy Feast Classic Pate, because I heard someone used it and it helped them get their cat in remission because it's not too high in carbs. I give him a can (3 oz) in the morning and administer the 2 units of insulin (around 6 or 7 am). He has a small bowl of dry food (Nulo) for whenever. The Nulo brand is really high in protein, plus low in carbs, so I have it out for when he gets hungry during the day. When I get home from work I administer the 2 units of insulin (around 5-6:30 pm), and then give him another 3 oz can of wet food. One problem is that Panda wakes me up in the middle of the night...er morning...because he's starving. I'll feed him, but won't administer the insulin. And if he continues to paw at my door for food, I put him in the bathroom. That's when he often has little accidents (maybe traumatized, upset, or just downright angry at me lol).

I'll try the home testing again. I'm hoping there's another location other than the ear that I could get a drop of blood from easily and painlessly. I bought the Relion Prime from Walmart, plus ketone strips. I tested his urine, and he's negative for ketones, so that's a plus. I've definitely stockpiled on pet pee pads, so I will try the home testing again and see what I can do. Maybe do it in the bathtub lol.

And thank you for the list of commercial canned foods. I will be sure to look at this.

And will be sure to look at the home testing tips. :3

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

It's OK to feed him if he's hungry! Two small cans of ff is not enough for an unregulated diabetic cat! Their body can't properly utilize the food, so they are starving. Most of us give several smaller meals per day. As long as he doesn't eat two hours before preshot testing he can eat!! I'd give him an extra can just before you go to bed so he has something to eat at night! Many of us also use timed feeders so they can give extra food mid day and mid night.

I give ff classic morning and evening and leave a dry food called Young Again Zero carb out to free feed on. It's the lowest carb dry available. I know nulo wet is good.... I don't know the carb count of their dry food. Grain free does not equal carb free. Instead they often substitute things like potatoes and peas for the grains, which are still carbs, so check the lable.

Definitely home test. You probably hit the vein in his ear and that caused him pain. If you poke in the sweet spot to the SIDE of the vein (see diagram) they usually don't feel it much. My cat doesn't even seem to notice. There is away to test on the paw pads as well, but give the ear another chance.

Attached Files:

Kris & Teasel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.