? Foods for diabetic and panc kitty and eating changes with lantus?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Nicole dorsey, Aug 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicole dorsey

Nicole dorsey Member

I am looking over the list of foods for diabetic cats, its a little overwhelming. Are there any particular brands and types that many use for their babies that use Lantus and do they seem to work ok? Also have folks noticed an increase in appetite with regulation of diabetes? Thanks!

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

For low carb foods, ideally you should feed wet or raw food under 10% carbs. This list here has a list of many foods available in North America, and some other places in the world. Where do you live?

Usually cats are hungrier when they are not regulated.

Nicole dorsey likes this.
  3. Nicole dorsey

Nicole dorsey Member

thank you, I live in Arizona

4. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Many people here feed Fancy Feast Classics (pate). They run from 0-3% carbs. If your cat prefers flaked foods, the FF ones are 4-6% carbs. If your cat has kidney issues, FF is too high in phosphorus.

Another favorite is Wellness Complete Health. They run from 6-11%. Most of the Merrick Purrfect Bistro foods are under 10% (but a few aren't, so look them up). My cats like Dave's Grain Free foods, but they are a little harder to find. They run 3-4%.

5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Hi and Welcome. If your cat has a poor appetite right now it's likely the pancreatitis. I fed Wellness chicken after CKD hit but before that KOHA kangaroo and fancy feast classics.

6. Nicole dorsey

Nicole dorsey Member

Thank you so very much! Where do you get most of the food you mention?

7. Nicole dorsey

Nicole dorsey Member

Thank you!!!

8. Nicole dorsey

Nicole dorsey Member

Also does your kitty have panc issues and eating associated with that? I'm scared of the insulin because appetite isn't great.

9. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Most Petsmarts and Petcos carry Wellness. Not sure where Elise was getting her KOHA. Kangaroo is illegal to sell in CA now, so I can't give you recommendations on that.

Nicole, It would really help us if you could put some of your basic info in your signature block. If you look at others', you will see what info we include. Most important: Kitty's name, date of diagnosis, other illnesses/meds, TR or SLGS? Kind of insulin, kind of meter, your location.

Here is a post we put together to help new members get comfortable with this forum:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/updated-tips-for-new-members.173572/

10. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

Wellness changed their formula and is now higher in carbs (above 10%).

@Nicole dorsey are you giving pain meds and nausea meds For the pancreatitis?

11. Nicole dorsey

Nicole dorsey Member

So is wellness food not good to buy? Yes regarding both the meds for pancreatitis

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  12. Nicole dorsey

Nicole dorsey Member

Thank you I will do that today. I've tried downloading the log but it gives me a blank page

13. LizzieInTexas

Some of us here were feeding when they changed the formula and saw the BG numbers increase. I think we all have discontinued using it. It's not bad food just too high in carbs now which is a shame because most cats really liked it (my Gizmo included).

No fish products with the pancreatitis. You can look on my SS under the food tab for what I am currently feeding for suggestions.

14. Nicole dorsey

Nicole dorsey Member

Would you be able to send me the glucose monitoring log to my email at dorseynl@aol.com? I've tried several times on both home and cell phone and despite having a google account I cannot get it to download. If you could it would be greatly appreciated!

15. LizzieInTexas

Here are the detailed directions.

FDMB SPREADSHEET INSTRUCTIONS

If you still can't get it let us know and one of the technical people here will help. I can't email it - it has to be created under your Google account (I think). Just let us know. :bighug:

Did you give Pablo insulin this morning?

16. MJW

MJW Well-Known Member

I believe the Iandloveandyou Wholly Cow numbers on the food chart are wrong. That makes me want to double check all the numbers, although I admit the Wholly Cow numbers stood out.
    I just tried to calculate the carbs and phosphorus numbers for primal freeze dried turkey. I came up with 6% carbs on a calorie basis and 180 mg of phosphorus per 100 kcal. Has anyone else done that calculation for Primal?
    Yum's mother had pancreatitis. It was so hard to get her to eat. Good luck.

17. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I'm going to tag someone to help you. @Marje and Gracie would you help please?

I'm sending you a PM. When you see a 1 in the inbox click on it.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  18. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I'd be glad to. I just sent her a PM to help with the SS.

19. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Which list are you talking about? If you think Dr. Lisa's numbers are wrong, let her know. There is a "contact" link at the end of the list. I doubt it, unless they changed the formula recently. She just redid the entire list. How are you calculating? You know you have to have the "as fed" values, don't you? Calculating using the "Guaranteed Analysis" will get you incorrect values.

When did this occur? Dr. Lisa's list was just published in March of this year.

20. LizzieInTexas

Around May. @Judy and Boomer, myself and a couple of others (sorry, can't remember). Judy and I both had condos with about it. Old formula was no issues.

21. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

To be honest, I don't remember why I stopped feeding Wellness. I "think" that Boomer just seemed to prefer the Purrfect Bistro and we were also trying to find foods that both Allen and Boomer could eat and both liked (that was before I started using a p-binder for Allen).

22. LizzieInTexas

23. Deena and Malby

Deena and Malby Member

Hi there,
    I feed Malachai Fancy Feast Classics Turkey and Giblets. It's only 3% carbs. You can buy it at Petco (Petmart is usually a little cheaper) OR with repeat delivery, Chewy.com has the best prices! My cat isn't regulated either and eats 4 cans a day and is STILL hungry! They say once your cat is regulated they won't "feel" as hungry.
    Freeze dried treats are nice to keep on hand as well for a low-carb snack :)
    Good luck! Everyone on this board is so helpful and will always be there if you need someone! They've been a life saver to me!
    -Deena

24. Nicole dorsey

Nicole dorsey Member

My cat doesn't want to eat much.

25. Nicole dorsey

Nicole dorsey Member

Yes giving pain meds for pancreatitis, he does better off of the nausea meds it seems, however. but each day seems like it is trial and error

26. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

These reference the Core line, which is higher now. I was referring to what used to be the "grain free" line.

Did you ever get a response from Wellness with the As Fed values? If not, I would contact Dr. Lisa and ask about the formula change. She seems to be able to get the manufacturers to respond when we can't.

27. LizzieInTexas

The "Grain-free" is now called Complete Health. I tried the Turkey which did (seem to) raise Gizmo's BG - he was steady in the greens/blues and bumped him up to yellows (see 05/01 notes on the SS). Then look back to 04/09 - that was pre-lable/recipe change.

this is my original e-mail to them:
    There are a some of us with Diabetic cats that are having BG spikes when feeding the Wellness Complete Health Turkey and the Wellness Complete Health Chicken (The old labels that is "Turkey Formula "Grain Free") Can you please provide the typical nutritional analysis either as dry matter or as-fed for your various canned cat foods - more specifically the Wellness Complete Health Turkey and the Wellness Complete Chicken but would appreciate the info for all your wet cat foods.Thank you. Awaiting your response.

And the response from Wellness:
    Thank you for taking the time to write to us about our Wellness® canned cat food.
    Firstly, we have done a label change for all our cat recipes. We also removed Carrageenan from out canned recipes. The new can picture you sent is the new look for the Complete Health Turkey.
    Secondly, we have not received the nutritional profiles for our canned recipes. We have done minimal changes, the biggest being the removal of the Carrageenan, therefore the values will be very close to the original.

Thanks again for contacting us.

Joan Bartlett
    WellPet Consumer Affairs Representative
    000489447A

I thought Judy had contacted them also - but it may have been someone else at that time. We both sent two email (if my memory is correct). I am not sure if they received a response. I only received a response on the 2nd email I sent (above).

ETA-I did not contact Dr. Lisa, I think in one of my Condo's I asked how to contact but no one replied (or knew). I do not know how to get her a message.

I do not know how to analyze the data to figure out the carbs on foods - guess I am not smart enough :confused:

28. MJW

MJW Well-Known Member

I posted about Wholly Cow in http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...ood-chart-for-wholly-cow.182386/#post-2022577
    You can see I got a nutrient chart from the company.
    I don't know if I am doing these calculations correctly, so I hesitated to contact Dr. Pierson.
    I notified Iandloveandyou that they had a mistake in their Sulfur number on the chart they gave to me and they agreed.
    I'm not sure Dr. Pierson does these calculations from nutrient values or if the companies give her the numbers she needs.
    I am quite confused today comparing numbers between companies and Dr. Pierson's chart. Bleagh.
    So many of us need percent calories from carb and grams of phosphorus per 100 kcal, it's annoying the numbers aren't on the cans or website.
    Sigh.

29. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Dr. Pierson contacts the companies to get the As Fed values, and then does the calculations. A very few manufacturers actually put them on their sites - I think Dave's is one - most only list the guaranteed analysis, and if you call that is all they will give you. Being a vet, Dr. Lisa has more luck getting the info needed.

@Marje and Gracie is pretty good at that. Perhaps she can check your calculations and let you know. I stink at math. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.