Greetings from a new member

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jim/Hunter, Jan 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim/Hunter

Jim/Hunter New Member

Just got the diagnosis for Hunter last week. He is between 12-15yrs old. (rescue cat, so true age is unkown) Picking up first vial of Lantus tonight. Started new diet with Hills MD earlier in the week. He took to the new food without any trouble. Price of Lantus is an eye opener! No real discounts availible from Good RX since it not a human's prescription. Curious as to hearing from anyone that has found a domestic supplier with good pricing. I am looking at approx. $200.00 for a 10ml via. Anyone using the Canadian pharmacy option? Marks Marine Pharmacy in Vancouver BC offers this product for $110.00 + shipping. I'm on the East Coast and concerned with shipping time for a temp sensitive item. Any thoughts, advice, past experiences would be greatly appreciated.

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome Jim and Hunter. I know getting that diabetes diagnosis is a bit of a shock, but you will find lots of information, answers and support here.
    First, the Hills MD is not a good choice for a diabetic cat, it's actually too high in carbs, and it's also too expensive. Many members here feed Friskies pates and Fancy Feast Classics. You need to use a food that has 10% or less carb content. Check the food chart HERE and filter through to see how different brands stack up. The vet who complied the chart, Dr. Lisa Pierson, has a wonderful cat nutrition site you might want to look at: www.catinfo.org.
    Second, home testing is the best tool you will have to keep Hunter safe from a hypo event and to see how diet changes and insulin is affecting his blood sugar. Please take a look at the FAQs forum for critically important Hypo information, creating the Hypo toolbox, and go through the Index for information about feline diabetes treatment. HERE

**A diet change is going to lower his BG (blood glucose level) so you need to be home testing to ensure that the addition of insulin is not going to send him into hypoglycemia, or to tell you if the dosage needs to be changed. We all learned to test at home and it has saved many of our fur friends from what might have been disastrous consequences. We can help with learning how to do that.

Many members do get Lantus, Levemir or Basaglar from Marks Marine and have recommended that option. You can post this question in the Main Health forum and get response from those members. Here is a link to some information: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/buying-insulin-from-canada.203498/

Please create your signature, so that Hunter's pertinent info is available to members responding to your questions and concerns: SIGNATURE This information can be edited/updated as you go forward.

Looking forward to following your progress and hopefully seeing a picture of Hunter! :cat:

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Jim and Hunter. Welcome.
    You are better off getting the 3 ml cartridges of Lantus not the 10 ml vial as you are unlikely to use that amount before it expires.
    @Idjit's mom mentioned Marks in Canada which is probably your best option. I’ll tag @Chris & China as she can give you detail about it.

4. Ragdoll12

Ragdoll12 New Member

Hi Jim,
    I am new to the group as of a few minutes ago. Nice to meet you! We are using Lantus also. Your price sounds pretty good to me - only because we bought one Solostar pen (3ml) for $90 at a local Walmart. I don't know how much insulin you are administering on a daily basis, but I would have to agree with Bron - there would be a concern that your vial would expire before you have used all of the insulin.

5. Jim/Hunter

Jim/Hunter New Member

Thanks for all the info. Curious as to why a vet would suggest a food that is 18% carb, when all recommendations seem to indicate that <10% is the way to go. i have had Hunter on the Hills since 1/28 and he really likes it. We are to start his insulin program tomorrow. ( 1 unit Lantus, twice daily ) Unsure of any consequences if I introduce a new food in the next 24 to 48 hrs.

6. Jim/Hunter

Jim/Hunter New Member

My local pharmacy in the Big Y supermarkert has suggested the same pen at approx. $86.00. Awaiting approval from the vet for the change.

7. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

G'morning Jim. Unfortunately many vets do recommend the "prescription" foods that they sell out of their clinics. They may not be as educated in feline diabetes as we would like. After all, they service so many animals, and all the health issues in the spectrum. It's great that you are looking for further information and getting educated.
    One note, it's really important that you home test. Changing the diet can significantly lower the BG (blood glucose or blood sugar level). You need to be testing to be certain it is safe to shoot insulin, every single time! and then get mid cycle tests to see how the insulin is affecting the BG. Please look at the FAQs forum for critically important Hypo information FAQs, and check the Index for more FD info, particularly this: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/
    Home testing is your best tool to keep Hunter safe and for tracking the effects of diet change and insulin effects.
    Please start posting in the Main Health forum, this forum is just the welcome mat and you are going to get more peer reviewed information and response there. MAIN

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.