Hello from a terrified diabetic?? Cat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by cat-astrophe, Jul 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cat-astrophe

cat-astrophe Member

My cat was diagnosed with diabetes about 3 months ago. I think he is going into remission due to his low readings (when we can get them). He is semi-feral and I have so much problems getting him and getting blood from his ears. I have an appointment with my vet to put on a Libre Meter, but that is not until Monday. Will test him every evening before feeding, but we only have 2 lancets left. We ordered more a few days ago but don't know when they will arrive. His reading 2 night ago was 95 and last night was 98. When we have done monthly afternoon tests they have been in the 90s low 100s as well. I am just terrified is he needs it and we don't give it, or if he does not and we do . . . . Also, he is the worst cat to get to the vet. Vomits, poops, pees and hyperventilates the whole way. I am always afraid he is going to pass out before we get there. We have to bring a change of bedding and use pee pads it is so bad.

Not much of an introduction, but thanks for listening.

FYI he is on Vetsulin.

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Oh my, you have had to work so hard to help this kitty! So, a double welcome and a hug just to start out with. :bighug:
    Hopefully the Libre is going to be able to give you the testing values you need to see if he is actually in remission. The numbers you report are good and I congratulate you on valiant efforts to test him yourself. You can get lancets at Walmart, about $3 for 100 in a box. If he is in remission, it's going to be very important to keep him on a low carb wet diet, to make that remission last as long as possible. We can help with that. We do need to know what he is eating now, since I am not certain you are still injecting insulin and getting those low numbers. Remission is defined as getting normal numbers with no insulin therapy, and we just need more information.

Could you take a few minutes and create a signature so we can see kitty's pertinent info when you post?
    1. Setting up your signature (light grey text under a post). Here's how:
    click on your name in the upper right corner of this page
    click on "signature" in the menu that drops down
    type the following in the box that opens: kitty's name/age/date of diabetes diagnosis/insulin you're using and dosage amount /glucose meter you're using/what (s)he eats/any other meds or health issues (s)he has. You can add your name, and a geographic location (sometimes the time zone matters) Be sure to SAVE when you are finished.
    2. Another thing that will help us help you regarding recording the BG testing at home is to set up a spreadsheet like the one we use here. You will see how the trends and patterns emerge, and members can review his/her progress before offering suggestions or advice:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/understanding-the-spreadsheet-grid.156606/

Enter as much information as you have to date, and whatever you get in future so that we can see better what's been going on.

Going forward, I suggest you post questions, issues and concern in the Main Health forum because more members monitor that forum to be of assistance.
    Please also visit the Vetsulin support forum HERE and read the Beginner's Guide to Vetsulin. If you have dosing or insulin related questions, that's the place to post.

I know you have been struggling, but it sounds to me like you have already helped this kitty so much. Let us help you learn more about feline diabetes and managing treatment. Best wishes going forward on this new adventure in your life and again, welcome to the community. :cat:

Jill & Jade likes this.
  3. Idjit's mom

4. cat-astrophe

cat-astrophe Member

5. cat-astrophe

cat-astrophe Member

My cat is BJ - estimated to be around 14. Not sure what type of diabetes - was just told diabetes?? They are all eating Fance Feast CLASSIC only since that is one of the better over the counter one since he will not eat prescription food. He is also on Royal Canin Calm (prescription) due to urinary infection which led to the diabetes diagnosis. He is on 1 unit Vetsulin 2x a day but believe he may be in remission. Using Alpha Trak Meter for animals.My cat is BJ - estimated to be around 14. Not sure what type of diabetes - was just told diabetes?? They are all eating Fance Feast CLASSIC only since that is one of the better over the counter one since he will not eat prescription food. He is also on Royal Canin Calm (prescription) due to urinary infection which led to the diabetes diagnosis. He is on 1 unit Vetsulin 2x a day but believe he may be in remission. Using Alpha Trak Meter for animals. Not sure I did it right, but put thin under information section as well. Just tested and he was 140. Vet said do not give him his insulin if it was between 100-150, so another day without a shot. I think that number us semi-normal since he has not gotten a shot last night or this morning, but nervous still high. Hopefully the Libre system will tell us more. Thanks for replying.

6. Idjit's mom

Kristine, I see information in the profile about BJ and that's fine. The only thing in your signature however is your name and BJ's info is not available at first glance. When you click on your user name in the upper right area of this page, a menu drops down and you would select "signature" on the left side of the menu, right under personal details. Just briefly fill out the requested info, you can use my signature for Idjit's info as an example. Sorry to make more work for you, but it's so handy to have kitty's info right there so members can see what's what.

The Fancy Feast classic is a good choice, it's low carb so it's good for our sugar kitties, as well as civies (non diabetic cats). I sure hope remission is in the picture for BJ, but for now he's a bit above what would qualify him for an OTJ trial. A trial is 14 days without insulin with kitty's BG in the normal non-diabetic range. I just went back and read some information on what regulation is as opposed to what remission is, and how members work by decreasing insulin doses by very small increments to see if kitty's pancreas is healed enough and producing enough insulin on its own. There is information in the Beginner's Guide to Vetsulin on what "regulation" means. Feel free to post there with questions, there are some veteran members that can help you with more information.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    AliceMeowliss (GA) likes this.
  7. AliceMeowliss (GA)

AliceMeowliss (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome! It sounds like you are on a pretty good path so far, and I would just recommend browsing the site, reading some basics and stickies at the top of the forums, as this will give you more knowledge base and therefore more power in your choices! :)
    I think BJ sounds a little high still to me too, and maybe a small dose still would help him recover more successfully. You mentioned he is also getting Royal Canin calm? I cannot find that on the food chart. Do you happen to already know the carbohydrate percentage for that, as well?

8. cat-astrophe

cat-astrophe Member

I tried to get it all in my signature but it kept saying I was like 500 letters over the limit. I don't know how to do it.

9. Jerry dutchboy

Jerry dutchboy Well-Known Member

Hi, see that you are having problems with getting all of the information in your signature. You need to abbreviate things but most folks on here will still understand what it means.

My cat's name is BJ est. 14 y.o. DX (add date). you may want to add his weight here. 1unit Vetsulin BID. Alpha Trak Meter. Other med. RC Calm for UTI. you may want to add timezone or where you are.

Hope you don't mind the suggestion. Have you decided what method you are going to use? TR or SLGS? if so, then you should add this as well.

AliceMeowliss (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.