Info about Phoebe Squeak wearing Freestyle Libre BG sensor -- answers to questions I've been asked

Discussion in 'Lantus / Basaglar (glargine) and Levemir (detemir)' started by J.J. and Phoebe Squeak, Jun 13, 2019 at 12:58 PM.

1. J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

J.J. and Phoebe Squeak Member

Hi, Phoebe Squeak is currently wearing a Freestyle Libre blood glucose monitor.

Many people have asked about it so I decided to start a thread so we could keep all the questions/info in one place.

I’ll answer the questions I’ve already received but feel free to ask any others you may have. I hope anyone else who has experience with the monitor will chime in.

I needed a prescription for it. Two actually -- 1 for the sensor and 1 for the reader.

The doctor sent me to the pharmacy with the prescription and asked me to pick it up and bring it back so she could apply it at the animal hospital.

The 14 day sensor was about $65 and the reader was about $85.

If you have an iPhone 7 or later you do not need to purchase a reader because you can use your phone instead.

They shaved a patch between Phoebe Squeak’s shoulder blades and attached the sensor with tissue glue. The doctor said that putting it on a cat’s neck is futile because when they move their neck around it always falls off.

They did not cover the sensor at all.

Within five minutes of being home, Phoebe squeak scratched it off and we had to go back to the hospital. We had to get another prescription for a sensor and go back to the pharmacy to buy one. At this point I think the people at the pharmacy felt sorry for me because they suddenly found some sort of coupon (that I’m sure is supposed to be for humans) and the sensor was $35 instead of $65 this time.

Then back to the hospital to have it reapplied with a little extra tissue glue. This time they covered it with some sort of mesh stocking type thing that she got stuck in her teeth within five minutes of being home. So, first I got her an inflatable E collar (photo attached) and then I ordered a surgical recovery suit that I found online for her to wear over the sensor. (photo and link attached)

You are able to scan the sensor right through the shirt so you do not have to remove it. Eventually we rolled up the shirt so now she’s wearing it as a midriff (photo attached) and she is a bit more comfortable but she does not like the shirt. She licks it and pulls at it. Less than she did at first, but I know she still doesn’t like it. (It has been a week so far).

The sensor only holds 8 hours of data so if you don’t scan every 8 hours some data will be lost. I have been manually uploading the info to Phoebe Squeak’s spreadsheet.

Our doctor said the sensor is not a long-term solution in a cat. She said you do the 14 day sensor once or twice to help find the correct insulin dose but then you do not continue it long-term. I don’t know if all doctors feel this way.

In our case Phoebe Squeak was very good about the ear pricks so she was actually less stressed than she is wearing this monitor and shirt.

But as people like to say here — every cat is different.

Please post any questions you may have and I will do my best to answer them based on my experience and I hope others who have used the sensor will also chime in.
    Link to surgical recovery suit:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NHNF5L6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

P.S. in inflatable Collar.jpg Camo Kitty.jpg P.S. Camo Midriff.jpg

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  2. AmandaE

AmandaE Member

Poor Phoebes! She looks so damn CUTE in her little camo crop top! work it girl!

Since you think she finds it stressful, do you think you would do it again if you had the choice? They're posting about this sensor in the main health forum too, some cats are getting major bruising, and some open wounds from the removal process :eek: How did Phoebe's skin do when she kicked off the sensor?

PS is so healthy looking! her fur looks so soft and like it would be really satisfying to pet :)

3. J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

J.J. and Phoebe Squeak Member

Thanks! I agree -- even though she is not happy she is working it!
    Honestly, if I'd known how stressful this would be for her, I don't think I would have done it. When she scratched it off the first time, it was hanging by a thread and I was hoping they could just reattach it somehow so I kind of kept it in place and didn't really look under it to see if she had a bruise. They took her away so I didn't see them remove the old one and attach the new one. I'll have to check when they remove it next week.
    Sorry to see that Mowgli is in pink today. Hope that changes soon. P.S. in camo crop top.jpg

AmandaE likes this.
  4. AmandaE

AmandaE Member

I love the thought of the freestyle, but I just think of when I tried to make Mowgli wear diapers because he was having incontinence.... not. happening. :p He would definitely scratch it off!
    Thanks! c'est la vie! We will see if an increase is in order this weekend :)

5. Sybil and Zoe

Sybil and Zoe Member

Awh sweet Phoebes! I love the camo suit. LOL. That was a very good and informative post.

6. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this J.J., it's really good information and thanks for letting us share in Phoebes experience with the free style, please keep us up to date on how it goes.
    She's really adorable!

7. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

Love the little camo onesie. Too cute.

Very informative post. Thank you for taking the time to put down. :bighug: