Hello from the Uk

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sue484, Apr 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sue484

Sue484 Well-Known Member

Hi. Only just joined as I've only just found this site. I have 2 diabetic cats, Frankie and Romulus. Rom has been diagnosed since Dec 2014 and is well regulated. Frankie is a different story. He was diagnosed April 2014 after his second bout of pancreatitis. He also has cardiomyopathy. He was put on Caninsulin but just would not go down far enough even on 8 units twice a day. In March this year he was put on Lantus as he developed neuropathy which is getting really bad. The dose has been increasing and yesterday it increased to 5 units twice a day. His reading this morning was 24.1 and 3 hours after feeding (Royal Canin diabetic wet food) and his injection it was 30.4. I haven't been here long enough to understand all the abbreviations you all use, but could this be the bounce that people talk about?

2. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi Sue (and sugar-kitties Frankie, and Romulus) and welcome to FDMB.

Waving 'Hi' to you from Surrey!
    (There are other UK'ers here also).

First off, well done for hometesting (testing the blood glucose at home). Hometesting is the best tool for helping you to understand and manage your kitties' diabetes.
    Do you have more data for Frankie than the numbers you posted just now? Without seeing more numbers it's not really possible to discern any pattern (bounces etc), but the fact that his blood glucose rose like that within 3 hours of a shot/injection might be indicative of bouncing. It could be, for example, that he dropped low during the night and is now bouncing from that. But without more data it's not possible to tell. So......are up for 'collecting some evidence' (ie. doing more tests....)???

How often are you testing at the moment? Before each shot? Mid-cycle tests also?

We have a handy Google spreadsheet template here that you can put your test numbers onto. It's colour-coded too which makes it much easier to spot patterns. If you'd like to set one up, and need help with that, then there are some smart techy people here who can assist (but sadly I'm not one of them...;))

Are you using Alphatrak or a human meter?

Eliz

3. Elizabeth and Bertie

4. Sue484

Sue484 Well-Known Member

Hello again and thanks. At the moment I m testing before each shot but seeing as I only put him up last night I'm doing spot checks during the day. Before his shot last night he was 19.6 . Tested him just now, 5 hours after and he was 32.4. He was at the vets yesterday for tests and a fasting blood curve as he seems super sensitive to food or so we thought but he was still high 20's all day until just before his shot. He was on 4 units previously. I will look into the spreadsheet and have a go later as I'm just going out. I use an Alphatrak meter. I've used it since the day he was diagnosed. I'm surprised reading through the posts that so many vets don't like you to home test.

5. Sue484

Sue484 Well-Known Member

Is there a link to the spreadsheet?

6. Elizabeth and Bertie

Here ya go, Sue:
    12/27/14 How to Create a SS and Link it in your Signature

You'll see that there are 2 templates. Because you're outside of the US you can choose the 'World' template. That template has two tabs/pages on it and will automatically convert your UK numbers into US numbers on the other tab/page (so, there will be two versions of your cat's numbers viewable on the same document). Most folks here are from the US and so it's helpful for them to be able to see your numbers in the way they're used to.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  7. Elizabeth and Bertie

Hi again Sue (geez, you're going to be getting tired of me....:rolleyes: )

As Frankie is now on Lantus you may find this info (and the links contained within it) useful:
    LANTUS & LEVEMIR - NEW TO THE GROUP? PLEASE READ...

Also, regarding the neuropathy, many of us have found methylcobalamin (methyl B12) helpful in speeding up the healing process. There is methyl B12 specifically made for cats called Zobaline, but this needs to be bought from the US and is now expensive to buy because of UK import charges (if you get caught...). Another alternative is Dr's Best methylcobalmin capsules that can be bought in the UK. These are half the strength of Zobaline and so you need 2 of these to get the right dose. The Zobaline contains a little folic acid also which works synergistically with the B12 to increase it's effect. The Doctor's Best doesn't have that, but you could add a little folic acid to it. Fortunately the B12 is tasteless and can be added to food.

Back leg weakness can also be caused or exacerbated by potassium deficiency. Only a blood test at the vets can confirm whether the potassium is in normal range, but if it is low then it can be supplemented.

8. Sue484

Sue484 Well-Known Member

Of course I won't get fed up of you!!! Thanks for all that. Frankie is already on Zobaline and yes I got caught out for Customs Duty!!! I asked for his potassium to be checked yesterday at the vet and it is fine. Let's just hope he gets lowered soon as his legs are getting worse by the day. I'll sort the spreadsheet out later. Seven and a half hours after his shot he is 30.5.

9. Sue484

Sue484 Well-Known Member

I'm trying to set the spreadsheet up from my iPad. I have google sheets and drive but the "use this template" button does not show, neither does the "file" button.

10. Elizabeth and Bertie

Am tagging BJ @BJM as she may be able to help with this...

11. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Try the suggestions on using an iPad with spreadsheet here.

Understanding the spreadsheet/grid:

The colored headings at the top are the ranges of glucose values. They are color-coded to clue you in as to meaning.

Each day is 1 row. Each column stores different data for the day.

From left to right, you enter
    the Date in the first column
    the AMPS (morning pre-shot test) in the 2nd column
    the Units given (turquoise column)

Then, there are 11 columns labeled +1 through +11
    If you test at +5 (5 hours after the shot), you enter the test number in the +5 column
    If you test at +7 (7 hours after the shot), you enter the test number in the +7 column
    and so on.

Halfway across the page is the column for PMPS (evening pre-shot)
    To the right is another turquoise column for Units given at the evening shot.

There is second set of columns labeled +1 through +11
    If you snag a before bed test at +3, you enter the test number in the +3 column.

We separate day and night numbers like that because many cats go lower at night.

It is merely a grid for storing the info; no math required.

12. Elizabeth and Bertie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.