? HELP!! First glucose test

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by GinnyBarr, Apr 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GinnyBarr

GinnyBarr Member

Just did my Kitty's first at home test. I use the one touch ultra. It said 65. Is that good? Bad?

2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Wow! That is a very healthy, low number. How long since she's had insulin?

3. Djamila

Actually -- are you using a pet meter (Alpha Trak) or a human meter?

4. GinnyBarr

GinnyBarr Member

Human meter and she's been on Lantus since Monday. Her original number was 435. Idk how to convert it to pet numbers.

5. Djamila

No, that's fine. It's just that 65 is a safe number on a human meter, but a bit too low on a pet meter, so I wanted to make sure that was from a human meter.

How many hours since her injection?

6. GinnyBarr

GinnyBarr Member

6. I read that with Lantus, you should do it half way through. Should I do another one right before the shot? Do I not give it to her? Do I give it to her after?

7. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Grats on first test! :) Once you get the hang of testing you'll always want to do pre-shot tests. Just make sure she has not eaten for 2 hours prior to pre-test time so the number is not food influenced. 65 is a nice nadir, assuming she is hitting it at +6. There is no converting the numbers, just know with the human meter 50 is the take action number like Djamila stated.
    Can you setup your signature with some information? http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/editing-your-signature-profile-and-preferences.130340/

8. Djamila

You definitely do another test before the next shot. And before every shot.

And great job getting a mid-cycle test! Those are soooo important for knowing if your kitty is at the right dose!

Now I'm going to overload you with directions. Are you ready?

1. What is your kitty's name?

2. Since you're using Lantus, you'll want to post in the Lantus forum where there are lots of very experienced people who can help you out. I use a different insulin, so other than telling you that her number is safe and super healthy, I can't be much help on the specifics that you'll need to learn.

3. Creating a signature will really help us all get to know you, and remember the key details so we don't have to ask you to repeat yourself a million times. You do that under your profile.

4. Setting up a spreadsheet is also very important so that people on here can help you learn to read the trends in your kitty's numbers, and can give you good guidance as you go forward. You just enter the numbers and the color coding happens automatically. Here is the link for that:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  9. Djamila

Okay, that was a lot all at once. One step at a time, and ask for help if you get stuck on any of it. There are people who can help you get through it.

And how is your kitty feeling this afternoon? Anymore poop issues? :confused:;):)

10. GinnyBarr

GinnyBarr Member

Thank you. Feeling better.

11. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Since you are just starting home-testing GOOD JOB!!! Here are some basic guidelines for giving shots with Lantus when you are first starting out or first home testing.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/lantus-levemir-start-low-go-slow-method-slgs.129446/
    • Below 150 mg/dl (8.3 mmol/L), don't give insulin.
    • Between 150 and 200 (8.3-11.1 mmol/L), you have three options: a.) give nothing; b.) give a token dose (10-25% of the usual dose); c.) feed as usual, test in a couple of hours, and make a decision based on that value.
    • Above 200 (11.1 mmol/L) but below the cat's normal pre-shot value, a reduced dose might be wise.
    • In all cases, if you are reducing or eliminating insulin, it's wise to check for ketones in the urine.
    • Above the normal pre-shot value, give the usual dose, but if the pre-shot value is consistently elevated, it's a good idea to schedule a full glucose curve to see whether a change in dose or insulin is appropriate. In most cases, the target "peak" value should not be below 100 mg/dl (5.6 mmol/L), and for some cats it might be higher.

Please do test before the next shot is due. Do not feed for at least 2 hours before testing so that food is not influencing the numbers. If you are unsure whether to shoot or not, please repost for further help.

12. GinnyBarr

GinnyBarr Member

She's feeling great. Hasn't had diarrhea since this morning. I just picked up a probiotic. You guys are all so great.

JanetNJ likes this.
  13. GinnyBarr

GinnyBarr Member

Thanks for the info. I did not know about the 2 hour fast. You're awesome. Always one of the first with advice. Ty.

14. GinnyBarr

GinnyBarr Member

Ok
    Ok. Will do. Is 65 too low?

15. Djamila

I just saw your post about testing. I hope I didn't just scare you!

So let's back up a little....CONGRATULATIONS on getting your first test done!!! That's a huge step! Take a minute and be proud of yourself!

Are you in a timezone where it would be appropriate to pour yourself a glass of champagne/wine/beer? The first one is the hardest, and you did a great job!

16. Djamila

It's not too low at nadir (the low point in the 12-hour cycle), but it would be too low to give an injection right now. You still have six hours before your next injection though, right?

17. GinnyBarr

GinnyBarr Member

Lol. Ty. You're very helpful. Didn't scare me and it's 5:00 somewhere, lol. Actually, I'm in NY, I can start, lol.

Djamila likes this.
  18. GinnyBarr

GinnyBarr Member

Yes. So if the numbers are below what??? Do I give her the shot??

19. Djamila

If you scroll back up to @Tuxedo Mom's post, it shows you the guidelines and a link to the protocol for Lantus.

Rough answer is don't shoot below 150, but there's a bit more to it than that.

And if you have any doubt, post in the Lantus forum (or here) and ask for advice before giving the injection. Always better to ask and be safe.

20. GinnyBarr

GinnyBarr Member

Absolutely. I just posted this in the Lantus forum. She's so below 159 and that's ok? I'm sorry to ask so much. She's my life. :)

21. Yong & Maury GA

Can you get the Spreadsheet set up to start recording your numbers? It's hard for us to just go on a nice nadir. Djamila gave you the link for SS and if you need help setting it up we have someone who can help. All you'd have to do is enter numbers in appropriate cell :). And I gave you the Signature information link, helps those of us with bad memories :D

22. Yong & Maury GA

She's referring when you do the Pre-shot test tonight. I might push your no shoot number to anything below 200 since you don't have data yet, just to be safe. We're not sure where she started this morning to drop down to 65 or what dose that is on.

Once you start getting some data on your spreadsheet, the Lantus folks can help with dosing advice :cat:. Djamila and I use another insulin but can help with some of the general things ;)

Djamila likes this.
  23. GinnyBarr

GinnyBarr Member

Ok
    Ok. I think I set the profile up. Can you check if I did it. I saw the spreadsheet. Unfortunately, I do not have a printer or a computer right now. I'm using my phone. Is there an app?

24. Yong & Maury GA

Google docs or Google sheets will work. I don't see any signature information yet.

25. Yong & Maury GA

Click on your username at top right of the page, yours will be GinnyBarr | Inbox | Alerts. A popdown menu should show, click Signature. Enter kitty's name, Dx date, any other health issues, insulin type and dose, meter, any other tidbits, and general time zone or location (i.e. NY). Then Save changes

26. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome! I just posted on the Lantus thread, but I'll repeat what I said here so everything is in one place:

Is there any chance of getting another test at +7 (i.e., 7hrs post-AM shot, an hour after your last test) in addition to the planned PM pre-shot? Just want to make sure she's not dipping any further-- 65 is a fantastic number, but you don't want her going too much lower.

o answer your question, when you are still new and gathering data and getting to know your cat's patterns, we say that above 200 should be OK to shoot, below 200 requires caution.

If you get a number below 200, stall-- don't feed her yet, post here for some advice and to get people paying attention, and then test again in 20-30mins, reporting that number. Lantus takes a couple hours before it really gets going, so it might be OK to shoot a lower-than-usual number because it's clear that blood glucose is moving upwards and will be high enough by the time the shot takes effect.

That 65 is very exciting in a very new diabetic-- she's doing great already!

27. GinnyBarr

GinnyBarr Member

Ok. I think I did it.

28. Djamila

Yeah! I can see it! Great job!

Does Pia have any other health issues? If so, those are good to put in the signature. And also which meter you are using.

Some people put the specific food since that can impact numbers a lot, but if you're still figuring out what foods she likes, don't worry about that part.

29. Yong & Maury GA

I can see signature info now! You don't need to put her reading from today, that's what the SS will be for :). For her dose, I think you mean 1 unit twice a day.

Ah yes, add meter type too. Think yours was the OneTouch Ultra

30. Djamila

We're so picky, aren't we? ;):bighug:

31. Yong & Maury GA

We are!:D but the Signature really helps me lol. I wish the process could be made mandatory in setup before doing anything else :rolleyes:

Djamila likes this.
  32. GinnyBarr

GinnyBarr Member

Ok. Ty. The one touch mini.

33. GinnyBarr

GinnyBarr Member

Ty ty ty. She just read at 73.

JanetNJ, Sharon14 and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  34. GinnyBarr

GinnyBarr Member

Lol. I fixed it. Hopefully.

Sharon14, Djamila and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  35. Djamila

lol...love the chubby monster part!

GinnyBarr likes this.
  36. GinnyBarr

GinnyBarr Member

Lol.

37. Nan & Amber (GA)

One comment on the signature-- I don't think you mean 1cc, that would be a pretty big starting dose, even for an 18.5lb cat! Do you mean 1 unit? (typical Lantus syringes hold 30 units, or 0.3 cc of liquid).

Love the 73! We call that "surfing". The kind of numbers she's been in today will allow her pancreas to start healing and (eventually) producing its own insulin!

38. GinnyBarr

GinnyBarr Member

Lol. I'm gonna assume yes, one unit.

39. GinnyBarr

GinnyBarr Member

Am I supposed to replace the lancet every time? I have been. I wasn't sure if I could use one a day instead of several. Ty.

40. Nan & Amber (GA)

Yes, use a different lancet each time. They may not look it, but they get duller with each use, which hurts more.

GinnyBarr likes this.
  41. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

GinnyBarr likes this.
  42. GinnyBarr

GinnyBarr Member

Ok. So she was supposed to get her shot and the reading was 109. Do I feed her? Or wait to feed and test her again in an hour?

43. GinnyBarr

GinnyBarr Member

So far. 65 at the 6 hour mark. 73 at the 7 hour mark and now 109 at the 12 hour mark. Do I skip the shot? Feed her? Take another test in an hour? It was a small amount of blood, does that matter? I'm scared.

44. Djamila

Don't be scared. She's still safe. Can you try to re-test? If it was a small amount of blood, it can mis-read.

And don't give her an injection at 109. Funny...my cat was at 109 tonight too!

45. GinnyBarr

GinnyBarr Member

I'll try. She was getting annoyed. I got a good amount and when I went to put it on the strip, the stupid machine turned off. I'm too slow. It should stay on longer. Very frustrating.

46. Djamila

We've all been there. You'll get faster, and Pia will stop caring. It's a process. Just give her a treat after you poke to woo her into cooperating.

47. GinnyBarr

GinnyBarr Member

106 and a big ol drop of blood. Should I feed her and skip the shot? Test in the morning?

48. Yong & Maury GA

We'll be able to help more once we see some patterns in data :). If she's at a lower pre-shot number you will do something we call Stalling. Don't feed, wait 20 minutes and retest. If the next reading is not rising you can stall again, up to an hour total. This will move shot time 30 minutes late. If the numbers decrease, then Do Not Give Insulin. Since you're just starting, if number is not getting anywhere near 200 or higher, Do Not Give Insulin either. Until we get more data :cat:

49. Djamila

You just started testing today, right?

50. GinnyBarr

GinnyBarr Member

Yes.

51. Djamila

@Wendy&Neko Could you weigh in on this? I'm just not that familiar with Lantus and don't want to give the wrong advice here.

52. GinnyBarr

GinnyBarr Member

Ok. I'm running out of lancets. Didn't realize I was gonna use so many. I only have 3 left.

53. Djamila

Ginny, for now, I would agree with Yong about stalling. Don't shoot and don't feed. Wait and see if we can find someone who knows more about Lantus to help you out on this.

PS It's okay to re-use the lancets a couple of times. Generally not recommended, but it's really not going to hurt to use one a day. And now I will duck while some people yell at me for saying that.

54. Yong & Maury GA

Can I duck with you, Djamila? lol

Djamila likes this.
  55. Djamila

Nice to know I'm not alone in that. I know a human diabetic that only changes the lancet once/week. I'm not advocating for that....just sayin'....

56. Djamila

57. GinnyBarr

GinnyBarr Member

Thank you everyone. I'm really scared.

58. Djamila

Really don't be scared. Pia is fine. The only reason I'm looking for a Lantus person is because I think it's best to get your advice from them right now. But Pia's number is perfectly safe. It's a number that a non-diabetic cat would be showing.

I just don't know if it's best for you to just skip the dose completely, or to try to stall. But Pia is in no danger at all.

59. Yong & Maury GA

Don't be scared :bighug:. These are really good numbers for just being on insulin for 1 week, like a non diabetic kitty :cat:. It's a little difficult because this was your first day of testing and we don't know where she started for AM pre-shot test.

60. GinnyBarr

GinnyBarr Member

Ok. I'm trying to breathe. Idk what I would do without this forum.

61. GinnyBarr

GinnyBarr Member

Ok. It's so hard calm down when you work yourself up. I'm breathing again.

62. Djamila

Plus, Wendy is viewing the thread right now, so she should be with us in just a second.

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

63. Yong & Maury GA

Quick summary:
    AMPS: N/A
    +6 : 65 (human meter, first test)
    +7 : 73
    PMPS: 109
    Stalling 20 mins: 106
    Awaiting next step
    Currently on 1.0U BID

Djamila likes this.
  64. Djamila

Nice Job, Yong!!! Looks like Kris just logged on too. (I like spying)

65. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Since you are new to posting, and are posting here, we suggest not shooting if kitty is under 200. So skip the dose tonight and resume tomorrow morning. In the mean time, buy some more lancets and start that spreadsheet. Pia had a great day today. :)

Yong & Maury GA and Djamila like this.
  66. GinnyBarr

GinnyBarr Member

Ahhhh. Ok. Thank you. I wanna cry from all the love this forum gives. You are all amazing humans.

JanetNJ, Djamila and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  67. Djamila

That also means you can feed her now. I bet she's hungry after all of this waiting! And Ginny, you're doing great!

Yong & Maury GA and GinnyBarr like this.
  68. GinnyBarr

GinnyBarr Member

I can't thank you enough. All of you.
    Starving. She gobbled up her cod sole shrimp, lol.

69. GinnyBarr

GinnyBarr Member

And thank you. :)

70. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Spy away! I'm just doing a quick status check before going to bed. :)

71. GinnyBarr

GinnyBarr Member

Quick question....If her numbers are still below 200 in the am, do I skip the shot? I have to work tomorrow.

72. Kris & Teasel

Wendy and Neko gave you the official guideline in post #11 above. You can consult it tomorrow AM. I know you're very new to this. You'll learn a lot about Lantus and how it works if you read all the info stickies that are at the top of the list on the Lantus and Levemir forum. For specific dosing advice you should post there. There are many extremely knowledgeable people who can help on that forum. If you have general questions you can post on this forum. :)

GinnyBarr likes this.
  73. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Correct, if below 200 in the AM, skip the shot.

GinnyBarr likes this.
  74. GinnyBarr

GinnyBarr Member

Thank you. I will start posting in the Lantus forum in the future. Much appreciated. I'm still learning :)

75. Djamila

Bye-bye, Ginny! It's been nice meeting you over here. Best wishes for quick healing over there in Lantus-land!

GinnyBarr likes this.
  76. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Sorry, I didn't get the tag. I see you have been taken care of. Nice run today though.

GinnyBarr likes this.
  77. JanetNJ

Wow her numbers are looking great already!!

GinnyBarr likes this.
  78. JanetNJ

Now just think of you weren't testing and blindly shot that she really could have gone too low. Well done.

GinnyBarr likes this.
  79. GinnyBarr

GinnyBarr Member

I know. That scares me. A lot of ppl probably do that.

JanetNJ likes this.
  80. JanetNJ

I shot blindly the first six weeks after my CC was diagnosed. Once I started I wished I had started from the beginning. Luckily I never had trouble with her going too low.

GinnyBarr likes this.
  81. GinnyBarr

GinnyBarr Member

Good morning everyone. I haven't moved over to the Lantus thread quite yet, but I wanted you all to know that Pia's morning tests were 123 and 132. Yay. So I'm gonna skip the shot. Let's pray she's reversing this disease.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  82. Kris & Teasel

This is great! Please consider setting up a spreadsheet like to one we use here. It helps us to help you when you ask for advice. :)

GinnyBarr likes this.
  83. GinnyBarr

GinnyBarr Member

Ok. As of this moment, I'm on my using my phone. My computer's in the sh*tter. Can I do it on my phone? And thank you for all the positive encouragement.

84. GinnyBarr

GinnyBarr Member

You guys are so great. I'm gonna hang here as well :)

85. Kris & Teasel

Yes, I think it can be done but I'm not techie enough to know how. Maybe ask it as a separate question on here. It might also be covered in the "How To" instructional sticky for the SS.

GinnyBarr likes this.
  86. Djamila

You can download Google Docs and Google Drive as apps on your phone, but if there's anyway you could go to the public library, or visit a friend who will share their computer for a few minutes, it will be much easier to set it up on a computer. We also might be able to have someone set it up for you, but I'm blanking on who does that. @Yong will know. I'm sure she'll be along soon...

GinnyBarr likes this.
  87. Nan & Amber (GA)

@Marje and Gracie is our tech guru-- I think she has the ability to do the actual setup, and then the sheet can be accessed from a phone with the Google apps.

More nice numbers this morning! Pia is doing great!

GinnyBarr and Djamila like this.
  88. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Ginny

I'd be happy to do the spreadsheet for you. Check your inbox in a few minutes (see upper right corner of this page) and you'll see a message from me.

GinnyBarr likes this.
  89. Yong & Maury GA

Yeah I knew it was Marje lol but I was hit by a sleep truck this morning and passed out for an hour or so, throwing me off schedule :facepalm:. Once it's set up for her, she should be able to manage it from her phone :cat:.

GinnyBarr likes this.
  90. Djamila

I wondered where you were this morning!

91. GinnyBarr

GinnyBarr Member

I can't believe it. Pia tested at 145 tonight. Gonna skip this shot too. She hasn't needed a shot since yesterday morning. I am elated. This is good, right?

Djamila likes this.
  92. Yong & Maury GA

This is very good :cat:. She may still need a tiny dose but hold off for now and try to get some extra readings during her cycle to see how's she's holding by herself.

93. Djamila

Yes, that is good.

94. GinnyBarr

GinnyBarr Member

I'm gonna keep testing her and I'm still gonna do a curve on Sunday.

I just realized, she takes glucosamine for her joints. Should I stop giving it to her? I read that it doesn't raise your blood sugar, but there's still not enough research.

95. Yong & Maury GA

If it helps her, we can work around it. There are other members who give Cosequin and don't see any major impacts on BG. Are you able to enter your previous test result in the SS?

96. Kris & Teasel

Sometimes it's a balancing act to manage diabetes along with other issues. If medications, supplements, etc. are needed so kitty has quality of life then insulin needs to be dosed around that.

97. GinnyBarr

GinnyBarr Member

Working all day :(

98. GinnyBarr

GinnyBarr Member

Ok. Ty.

99. Yong & Maury GA

When you get home is fine. Just so we can see all the numbers on the SS :). I write all of mine down on a notepad and fill it in when I'm on computer.

GinnyBarr likes this.
  100. GinnyBarr

GinnyBarr Member

Ok. Her morning numbers were 139. She hasn't needed a shot since Wed morning and that was before I had the glucose meter. Maybe she didn't even need it then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.