Help first home test and 70 mg/dl

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MrRumps, Apr 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Rumpy semi stopped eating and has had diarrhea today. This evening I felt like his behavior was off so I picked up the glucometer to do our first home test. His reading was 70 mg/dl.

He has been hospitalized twice for DKA

2. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

In the morning, do I test/feed/shoot or test/shoot/feed or any other order?

3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

You want to Test/Feed/Shoot in that order. You Test to make sure they're high enough for insulin, Feed to make sure they're at least willing to eat and Shoot.....Usually all within 5-10 minutes

Do you have urine ketone test strips to test him for ketones?

4. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Okay thank you for the quick response. Yes I do have the ketone test strips.

5. Chris & China (GA)

At what point in the cycle did you get that 70?

6. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

I took that reading at 11pm and his shot was at 8pm. He hasn't been eating very well and his behavior started to seem off so I took the reading. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to or not, but I wanted to know if he was low. Should I retest? I put a dab of honey in his gums and he is sleeping now.

7. Chris & China (GA)

We usually don't intervene with high carb foods until they drop below 50 (on a human meter) but we also don't know what his blood glucose was before you shot since you didn't test first.

If he was at 100 and now at +3 he's 70, that's one thing, but if he was at 230 and dropped to 70 by +3, that's another.

I'd test again now since it's been 30 minutes since you got the 70

Did you give him 1.5 at 8pm?

8. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Okay, about to test. Yes, I gave him 1.5 at 8pm

9. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

The reading I just took was 73

10. Chris & China (GA)

OK....still a nice safe number but it's still early in the cycle.

I'd give him a small snack of low carb food and test again in no more than an hour (IF he eats). If he doesn't eat, you'd better test again in 30 minutes. We want to keep him safe! Most cats go lower at night and since we have no data on him yet, you may be up for awhile.

11. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

The only higher carb food that I have that he will eat is a dry food from Earthborn I think is 17.5%. I didn't put much down, but he started eating right away!

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  12. Chris & China (GA)

He didn't need the dry ….the 73 was still a nice safe number

I had suggested feeding a little of his regular low carb food....we wanted to just keep him from dropping too much further without sending him to the moon.

It'll be important moving forward for you to keep some different foods in the house....A few cans of medium carb and high carb canned foods. Medium is 11-16%...High carb is 16+

Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers is the high carb most of us use

MrRumps likes this.
  13. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi @Chris & China (GA) i am online now and can keep an eye on MrRumps if you need to get to bed. Just getting up to speed with situation

Chris & China (GA) and MrRumps like this.
  14. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

I have not been able to find any food that he will eat that has more than 1% carb other than his dry food. The food he has been eating is Tiki cat chicken and that says it's 0%
    He won't eat friskies or fancy feast and especially hates pate.

15. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Where are we up to in the cycle?. There is a 70 in the +3 and a 73 in the +5 and a 70 in the +11.

16. Chris & China (GA)

The 70 was his first test ever.....it was at +3.....then the 73 was at +3.5

17. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Sorry, I was trying to figure out how to input data. 1.5 was given at 8pm and bg was 70 at +3 and 73 at +5

18. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Ok thanks. Can you remove the 70 at +11 when you have time if it is an error thanks.

MrRumps likes this.
  19. Chris & China (GA)

There was 2 hours between the 70 and the 73? I thought it was more like 30 minutes

20. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Oh, sorry I mixed it up. I'm honestly very overwhelmed and it is all new to me trying to understand what the spreadsheet means and what I am supposed to be doing.

21. Bron and Sheba (GA)

That's ok. We understand it is overwhelming. We will help you through this.
    How long after the shot did you do the two tests?

22. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

The first test was 3 hours after the shot and the second test was 30 mins to an hour after the first shot.

23. Chris & China (GA)

No worries!! We understand it can be really overwhelming!!

Basically, the + cells correspond to the number of hours since the last shot.....so if you shoot at 8pm and you get a test at 11pm, that's 3 hours after the shot, so it's +3.....if you get a test at 2am, that's 6 hours since the shot, so would go in the +6 cell.....all the way up to +11 and then you start the next cycle.

You can also put 2 numbers in the same cell....Like if you test at +3 and +3.5, you can put ## @ +3, ## @+3.5 in the same cell but you will have to "color-code" it yourself by going to the icon at the top of the spreadsheet that looks like a small can of paint tipping over.

MrRumps and Bron and Sheba (GA) like this.
  24. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Thank you, I just updated the spreadsheet.

25. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Ok, so leave the +3 number where it is and move the +5 number back to the +4 shot.
    Could you test again now so we can see how things are please?
    ETA. I see Chris has helped you and you are sorted. Well done!

26. Chris & China (GA)

I am going to have to leave you in the capable hands of @Bron and Sheba ...it's going on 2am here and I have to be out early.

Bron is in Australia so she can stay with you longer to make sure everybody stays safe.

I also think it may be best to reduce your dose down to 1U until you get some more data and see how he's doing. If you just started Lantus, you're still filling the "depot" and with that 70 tonight, I think 1.5 might be a little too much juice.

ETA....looks like you've been on Lantus for a couple of weeks but have just started home testing but I still think dropping down to 1U may be better for now until you have a few more tests in.

Also, make sure you are checking his urine for ketones at least once a day. We sure don't want another DKA in the picture!

MrRumps likes this.
  27. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I agree with Chris. I would also reduce the dose to 1 unit.
    Gosh Chris you must be exhausted. Sleep well:):bighug:

28. Chris & China (GA)

Thanks Bron….Yeah, I am beat.....didn't sleep at all last night either (one of those nights where my brain wouldn't stop talking)

I appreciate your help tonight!!

You're in good hands Shelly!! And you're doing a great job tonight! Nothing like getting thrown in the deep end your first night!!

29. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Ok, last Friday Rumpy's vet adjusted his dosage to 1.5 after doing a glucose curve . His readings were from 205-360. He was previously at 1 for the first week, on Lantus, but no home testing. Just tested Rumpy and he dropped to 59! What do you suggest?

30. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Hi Shelly my name is Bron and as Chris said I live in Australia and can stick around for several hours if necessary.
    So Rumpy was diagnosed on 3/18 and has had two episodes f DKA, is that correct?
    Haveyou been checking his urine for ketones since his discharge from hospital?
    I'm so glad you have decided to test the blood sugars.. well done.
    Can you do another BSL(blood sugar level) testnow please?

31. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I would give him some of his ordinary tiki food with a drop of honey or Karo in it. We don't usually give honey or Karo until it drops below 50 but I think we should give him some now as we don't have any data on him and how he reacts to insulin at the moment.
    Then test again in 30 minutes

32. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Thank you so much! Yes that is correct. I just picked up ketone strips from walmart and he has not used the rest room just yet. I was never told that I could test at home until I read through this page.

33. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Ok give him the food and honey I mentioned. If he won't eat it give him someof the dry food but try the wet first.

34. Bron and Sheba (GA)

What type of meter are you using? Human meter or Alphatrak?

35. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

I picked up the Relion Prime Meter someone mentioned to me earlier. Should I get the alphatrak?

36. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

He ate a little bit of the wet food.

37. Bron and Sheba (GA)

No. The one you have is fine. I just needed to know because one reads lower than the other and it makes a difference when we intervene with high carb food. So all good.

Did you put a drop of honey in it?

MrRumps likes this.
  38. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Yes I did.

39. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Great!
    Take the next test 30 minutes after the last test. Post it and I will keep an eye out for you.

MrRumps likes this.
  40. Bron and Sheba (GA)

If you can get a ketone urine test sometime during the next several hours, that would be very good. Having DKA in the picture changes how we dose the insulin (reducing it is not a good idea if we can help it) . Itis really important with recent DKA that Rumpy is eating and drinking and is getting enough insulin. We suggest giving higher carb food initially so that the dose of insulin is adequate to stop the formation of ketones. I know that sounds contrary to the low carb diet for diabetic cats but it is really important that post DKA cats get enough insulin and the way to do that is to up the number of carbs so we can give a bit more insulin.
    If you are able to go out tomorrow and buy some higher carb foods for Rumpy that you think he might eat, that would be good.. maybe look for some that are around 11 to 14% carbs.
    Here is a link to foods
    https://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf

Did he have an infection when he was diagnosed with the DKA? And was it treated?
    I am going to tag @Kris & Teasel as she is very experienced with post DKA care in kitties. She lives I need Canada and will hopefully be online tomorrow.

MrRumps likes this.
  41. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

I will try to get a urine test done. I grabbed two from friskies that he wouldn't eat tonight, do you suggest any other shredded wet food? Yes, the second time he got DKA he had a anal gland rupture. He was given an antibiotic injection that was supposed to be effective for 14 days and then took an antibiotic pill twice daily for 10 days when he was released from the hospital the second time.

42. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Poor fellow! But that is good he was treated.
    Have a look at the link I sent you when you can.....priority now is getting him safely through this cycle......and choose some that are around the 11 to 14 carb content if you can

43. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Have you got another test in yet?

44. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

He is not taking it very well and it takes a minute to get him to relax. His reading was 61

45. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Ok. I see you have on the SS we are up to+6 and +6.5. Are you now 6 1/2 hours after the shot.....so that would put the time at around 2.30 am. Is that correct?

46. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Yes, it is 248am. I left the wet food down and he just went to eat some more. Is that okay?

47. Bron and Sheba (GA)

yes that is good.
    How is his appetite? And has the diarrhoea stopped?
    So if you gave the insulin at 8 pm, we are now nearly at +7 which is good as hopefully the insulin has reached its peak in this cycle.
    +3 70
    +3.5 73
    +6 59
    +6.5 61
    I don't know where the time went between +3.5 and +6.... I think the +3.5 might have been later than actually 3.5
    Can you get another test at exactly +7 please so we can get back on tract with the testing. Thanks

48. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

He finished the amount I put down with the honey. His appetite is there partially, but he does not finish his food in on sitting. He has had diarrhea consistently and I thought it was from the food or food change because I have been trying to find the right one for him and the one that he likes.

Yes I will take the +7 one now.

49. Bron and Sheba (GA)

You may need to go to the vet and ask him for some cerenia and ondansetron tablets for Rumpy. It is very common for DKA kitties to be off their food when recovering and feel nauseated. It is really important to keep them eating and most DKA kitties will need a bit of help with cerenia and ondansetron to stop nausea and vomiting. I would to the vet tomorrow and ask for some. It can make a big difference. Cats that are nauseated won't eat.
    Yes the diarrhoea could be from the changes to the food. You could try mixing in a teaspoon of plain boiled pumpkin into his food.. a couple of times a day....that is good for diarrhoea.. you can cook your own... just pumpkin in water and nothing else, drain and mash. Or you can buy it in cans. I think in the US, but make sure. It is only pumpkin and no additives.

Jasper Blue and Jay likes this.
  50. Jasper Blue and Jay

Jasper Blue and Jay Member

Yes, Walmart sells an organic plain pumpkin, can't remember the brand, big can for only $2. I think it's only good in the fridge for like a week and the huge amount lasts a lot longer than that so I'm going to freeze little portions next time cause we were throwing out most of it, lol.

I started using it sporadically because it's also supposed to be good to prevent anal gland issues and I think that's what our guy's abscess was.

(no reply needed, just lending moral support for you and Rumpy , hang in there you're both doing great!)

51. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Having a hard time getting blood, he's fighting me.

52. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Will he eat a few bits of dry while you test?

53. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Reading taken at 3:21am was 60 after finishing the food with drop of honey

54. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Well done! I know how hard it can be at times. You have really been thrown in the deep end tonight but are doing magnificently!
    Put that in the SS as 60@ 7.20

MrRumps likes this.
  55. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Thank you, I have shed many tears thus far. I feel terrible having to stick him so many times. I put it in the spread sheet.

56. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I think we can do the next test at +8
    Can you leave out some food for him to snack on if he wants please?
    I think even some dry if that is all he will eat. We want him to be high enough to give insulin in the morning.
    Once we get to +10 we will need to take up the food so that he has 2. Hours without food so we can get a true reading for the AMPS insulin. If he drops lower than 50 however we would need to feed him regardless.

This site seem to go offline sometime in the next few hours for a short time. We have just changed daylight saving times here so I am not exactly sure of the time but I think it will be in a couple of hours.....so if I disappear or you can't get online don't panic, it will come back online.. you know what to do if the numbers are low...food and honey and test again in 30 minutes.

Oh you poor girl...I know how hard it is in the beginning and you have had a sick kitty as well. It does get better and we are really happy to help you in any way we can. Just ask anything you want. I think you have done so well, you have only just started testing tonight and you are already like a pro. And MrRumps has been a champion.

AliceMeowliss (GA) likes this.
  57. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Okay thank you for the heads up about the site! I truly appreciate your help, I would not know what to do right now. Will check again at +8

58. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Really happy to help in any way.
    So tomorrow you will need to ...( as long as MrRumps is ok and you can leave him)
    • Go to the vet and ask for some cerenia and ondansetron tablets....don't let them fob you off.
    • Try and get some higher carb food. You will need it in the short term to give to him so you can give an appropriate amount of insulin and later to have some for when he drops low, to bring the BSL up higher. Check out the site I sent you and write a list before you go to the shops......too hard to do once at the shops I found.
    • Test daily for ketones. Anything above a trace needs vet attention.
    • Get some pumpkin to try with the diarrhoea.

59. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

I have work in 4 hours.
    I have work in 4 hours. :(

I will call my vet and pick up the meds you say. I have cerenia, but thought that was for vomiting.

60. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Oh my goodness....work in 4 hours!
    Cerenia can be given for nausea as well. Ondansetron is good for nausea.
    Have you given him any cerenia at all yet?
    Are you able to get home to test at all during the day?

61. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

+8 was 75

I stopped giving him the cerenia once he started eating more.
    I can be home by 230p to test

62. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Looks like he may be on the way back up. Has he eaten at all since the last test?
    So you have to basically give him the injection and leave and won't be home for 6 1/2 hours, is that's right?

63. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

He ate before the +8 test, but not after. Yes, I may be able to have my boyfriend test on his lunch (around +4 or +5)

64. Bron and Sheba (GA)

That would be good if he could test.
    Do you think he will eat while you are gone?

65. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

If I leave food down I believe he will

66. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I think I would leave down some dry as well as the wet at this point if you are not going to be around to test.
    Main priority is his safety and then the DKA.
    Can you give him a dose of the cerenia tablet an hour before the shot is due? That might help his appetite.

67. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Okay I will!
    And yes I can do that as well.

68. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I'll get you to get a +9 if you can just to check he is on the way up please

69. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

I am past my point of exhaustion and really need sleep. Is it too dangerous if I go to sleep for a couple of hours?

70. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Can you get a test now then and then if it is on the way up you can sleep.? Does that sound OK.

71. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

reading at 4:58 am was 70

72. Bron and Sheba (GA)

So +9 70. Not much change from 75.
    Because you are so exhausted, I would give him a handful of dry now and watch him eat it, then take up the remainder, so that you have the two hour no food window, then have a sleep but put on the alarm
    What time do you usually get up beforehand going to work to do Rumpy.?
    Hopefully he will start to go up but It is looking like he is going to stay low and he may not be able to have any insulin at AMPS.
    But let's wait and see. Skipping is not good withDKA in the picture but if he is too low we can't give him any especially when you won't be there to test..
    Have you got a ketone urine test yet?

73. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

I usually feed Rumpy by 7:30am and then give him insulin by 7:40am. No, he hasn't gone to the restroom yet.

74. AliceMeowliss (GA)

AliceMeowliss (GA) Well-Known Member

I see you're staying up all night with your baby too. I'm so sorry. Believe me you can make it through! I have been ridiculously sleep deprived for the past 7 nights now, but it's going to get better for us both if we can push through. It looks like you're doing great!

I try to basically just grab a nap when I can fit one in. Take every sleep opportunity you have, see if your bf can maybe give you a bit of relief for an extra nap here and there! If I can't sleep a full night, my goal is to get one deep cycle a day, which is about a solid 3-4 hours for most people.

I hope he's back up to a decent level soon. Hugs!

75. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Ok..so are you happy to give him some dry now then pick up what he doesn't eat, then try and get a bit of sleep before you have to get up again. When you get up, test and post the result and we will be watching.
    You have had a pretty traumatic night and you must be exhausted but you and Rumpy have been fabulous!
    Sweet dreams!:bighug:

76. AliceMeowliss (GA)

AliceMeowliss (GA) Well-Known Member

I second @Bron and Sheba , you need to catch even a little rest!!!! You won't be able to do a marathon if needed again, if you don't.

77. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Unfortunately, he won't eat the dry food now. He seems really tired and keeps nodding off. Should I take the food up now instead? I have a friskies shredded chicken wet food I bought that he kind of nibbled on.

78. Bron and Sheba (GA)

So he has eaten a bit of food?

79. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Yeah he has mostly ate the tiki cat chicken, a few nibbles of the friskies wet food and earthborn dry food.

80. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I mean has he eaten any food in the last 20 minutes?

81. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

No.

82. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Ok. So when did he last eat?

83. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Sorry, my boyfriend said he did eat within the last 20 minutes. It was the chicken.

84. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Ok good. Well I would take up the food now so you get the 2 hours no food window,
    How nice if your boyfriend has been keeping you company.!
    Try and get some sleep.
    Don't forget to give the cerenia and post the AMPS test.. don't give any insulin without checking with us first please as he may be too low to give any to.

MrRumps likes this.
  85. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

He is snoring asleep now haha. Thank you will try and sleep an hour or so. Do I give the cerenia before food?

86. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Yes give the cerenia when you first get up so it has a chance to work before food.
    Poor Rumpy, he is exhausted too...all very new for him.

87. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Reading at 11.9 was 126, I just gave cerenia and going to feed tiki chicken. Any suggestions, dosage?

88. Bron and Sheba (GA)

See if he eats anything first, but I think he is too low for you to give her anything and then leave him for several hours, especially after the lows of the last cycle where we had to feed him to keep him from dropping.
    Any ketone urine test yet?

89. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Just wanting to clarify, you're wanting us to just put his food down and not give him insulin? Should I check his blood 30 minutes after he eats? No ketone test yet, but hopefully soon.

90. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Any test after feeding will be food influenced at this point so we need to go with the 126 unless you are able to stall and not feed for 20 minutes and then see how high it will go.
    As you can't stay with him to test during the morning, it is too risky to give insulin unfortunately.. once you have more data you will be able to shoot lower numbers.

91. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Thank you, Rumpy is still being apprehensive towards his Tiki Cat Chicken, he's eating a little while I type this and I have taken the day off to help monitor him. Any suggestions now? Should I give him insulin since I'll be home? I'm running to the store real quick to try and find another higher carb 10-15% for him.

92. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Aren't you going to go to work today now?

93. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

I cancelled work for today. I am too scared to leave him and quite frankly, tired. I will be home now.

94. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Sorry I can see you have said you are taking the day off work. My bad....time for my bed!
    While at the shop try and get some higher carb food while you are there. Ones with gravy, rice or starch in them.
    Ok if you are going to be home to test then I think you could give some insulin.....but I think I would go with a smaller dose just for this cycle because of the low preshot and the fact we have to think of the DKA.
    You may need help during the day to keep the numbers up but I won't be here sorry but I am sure others will. Just ask for help. You can always use the 911 sign that is on the subject line if urgent.
    Make sure you get some higher carb food at the shops!
    I think I would go with 0.5 units because of the low preshot and lack of appetite. And I would feed him higher carb food not the low carb food during this cycle.
    Hopefully the cerenia will kick in and help with appetite.
    Post the ketone result when you get one please.

95. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Higher carb foods with 10-15% or higher than that? Thank you for all the help.

96. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Both if you have time to buy but to use today I would start with the 11 to 15% carbs.

MrRumps likes this.
  97. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Should I wait to see if he will eat the higher carb option and then give insulin? I'm worried about the 12 hour window too if I give it to him now.

98. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I am going to ask @Kris & Teasel @Bobbie And Bubba and @Chris & China (GA) if they will look inon you. Hopefully one of them will be on the board to day.
    I have been conservative with the dose but I want to keep Rumpy safe as well as keeping the DKA in mind.

99. Bron and Sheba (GA)

What do you mean?

100. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

I have not given insulin yet because he stopped eating and hid under my bed. I am unsure if I should wait to give him insulin until I get a higher carb wet food and see if he eats it. Or should I give him the 0.5 shot now regardless of how much he ate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.