help! NEED ADVICE - 03/23/20 amps 16.8 & in range all day....

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jerica&ramone, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Jerica&ramone

Jerica&ramone Member

Ok so today.. my boy has had the biggest drop i've seen so early in the day... so luckily i am working from home right now and was able to monitor him all day...
    history of the last couple days... on Thursday talking with my vet - and i had been testing lots last week and his #'s were consistently high ... i was seeing if I should up his dose - and we did and on Thurs night & Thurs AM- he was in range by his PM shot and I didn't shoot - as I was not able to monitor fully so next day I went to 7.5 and

today at +6 i gave him a tablespoon of some med carb food and he ate that, then at +8 i put a tiny amount of honey on his gums... I'm not even sure how much to use or not use... and gave another tablespoon or two of the med carb food.

SO now - based on his readings from today... I give his shot in about 1.5 hours... I'm quite confident he's going to be in the "in range" zone... and I've never shot at this.. but I'm looking for the shoot low to stay low... do i shoot the full dose? i'm pretty positive my vet will advise me to skip tonight.... but i don't want too but also don't want to cause a severe hypo or anything borderline hypo. I've never experienced that although I am prepared..

help what do you think I should I do!!

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

If you are able to stay up tonight and monitor, and have plenty of supplies, you should be able to shoot the full dose. I can't stay up with you. If you do shoot, make sure you get a +1 and a +2 and update your subject line so people can see if you need help.

3. Jerica&ramone

Jerica&ramone Member

ok thank you!!
    I think I’m just scared too! I do have the supplies ...
    Ill make sure I update my post if I do and need help

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hi Jerica, lovely looking cycle today. Just what you'd like to see everyday. :)

Cats can zoom up a lot in two hours. Paws crossed you get a comfy number to shoot.

The link to your last post here: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/ramone-pmps-02-27-10-4-187-no-shoot-numbers-and-should-be-changing-anything.2263

Have you decided yet whether you'd like to follow Tight Regulation or Start Low Go Slow for dosing? It'll help us help you decide what to do. If you could add TR or SLGS to your signature, that'll help. At the bottom of this post on Helping Us Help You tells you what other useful things go in the signature.

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  5. Jerica&ramone

Jerica&ramone Member

THANK YOU. I chickened out on Monday... He was at 8.4 ... but I skipped... I think I also get so scared because he is such a high dose! I feel like the dose I give would kill him if he's in range. Thats why I wish I could just reduce the dose.. but I know Lantus isn't used like that ....

I'm going to look into the TR/SLGS as I'm not sure what that all is , but so far today I think today we are heading in the same direction again as Monday... See how it goes. I'll monitor every cpl hours.

and try to get my signature updated better too.. I'm not to savvy at this site yet!

6. Wendy&Neko

Don't forget to update your spreadsheet too. ;)

It seems like that at first, but that's not how it works. My Neko only got to 8.75 units, but never gave me an opportunity to shoot green numbers on that high a dose. I only shot 7 units into a green preshot number. But I have seen plenty of cats on higher doses shoot lower numbers. Lantus is great at flat curves when you shoot low numbers, regardless of size of dose. If you have a lower preshot, they don't drop nearly as much. Next time you are around and able to monitor, try shooting those mid blues. Over time and as you gather more data, you'll be able to lower the preshot number you feel comfortable shooting. Another option is to give at least a half dose so some insulin goes in.

7. Jerica&ramone

Jerica&ramone Member

Thanks! Updated my ss.

Where is the sticky on TR and SLGS ? I can't seem to find it.

Also - Is giving him half dose bad? To try and see how he responds first, rather than giving the full dose? Although it may not work like that. I have no data to know what happens when I shoot a full dose on a blue..

8. Wendy&Neko

9. Jerica&ramone

Jerica&ramone Member

Thank you!! And thanks too for walking me through all this and giving me guidance and support I really appreciate it.

his PM shot is in a couple of hours! See what his # is and I will shoot either half or full. I don’t want to skip ! His #s have never looked this good and I want this to continue!!!

10. Wendy&Neko

Beautiful cycle today. :cool: Especially given the skip a couple days ago.

11. Jerica&ramone

Jerica&ramone Member

yes todays been great!!

He's at 11.4 now ! im going to give dinner and I'll do the full dose... he's over the 11.1 no shoot... barely but I feel OK to give the full dose!

ill monitor him every 2 hrs to make sure not too low!

12. Wendy&Neko

11.1 (200) is not a no shoot number. For new people, which you no longer are, we suggest that below 200 they do not feed and post for help to see if it's OK to shoot.

13. Jerica&ramone

Jerica&ramone Member

okay he's 10.8 tonight. i am comfortable to give full dose....

will monitor of course!

he's just barely under the 200 so I don't think i need to post/stall... :):cat: