? HELP w/AMPS 11/18/16 Squallie+7/66,+9/75,PMPS 79,+1/72,+2/128,+4/272,+5/72,+6/45,6.30/42, +7/81

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Squalliesmom, Nov 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...79-7-69-9-119-pmps-147-3-68-4-77-5-76.168310/

He had a good night last night, hoping he surfs well and safely today!

He really needs to lose a little weight, but I don't know how to go about this. He only eats one 3 oz can for breakfast and one 3 oz can for dinner. He used to get another 1/2 can for lunch, but now he gets super lo-cal shredded chicken, instead. All my other cats eat the same things, except they still get their 1/2 can lunch, and none of them are gaining weight, just Squallie. He's over 15 pounds, now! I have a very bad arm and breathing problems, and I can barely lift him anymore!

Shoeskitty-GA likes this.
  2. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

Lookin' good! Sorry about the weight. Maybe Chris can give you tips?

Squalliesmom likes this.
  3. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Lucy - is Squallie a couch potato?

Squalliesmom likes this.
  4. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice numbers last night. I hope Squallie gives you more green today. It's so hard to get a diabetic cat to lose weight because they have to eat when they get low. Furball used to weight 15 lbs. She didn't lose any weight until right before she went OTJ. I know that's not very helpful, but I do understand. Can you try to get him moving more? Sending prayers.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  5. Gussie's mom (GA)

Gussie's mom (GA) Well-Known Member

I know China has been following the play-to-lose plan! Seems to be working from Chris's posts!
    Do you think you could get Squallie to play?
    :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Squalliesmom likes this.
  6. Squalliesmom

All the way, lol!

7. Squalliesmom

I try to get him to play, but it's hard to get his chubby butt motivated, lol. He likes to play, just on his own schedule, like at 3:00AM.

8. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Nice +3 and almost in the lagoon. Have you tried the lazer pen to get him moving? Bubba isn't one to play much either.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  9. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

Some people say that the lasers shouldn't be used too often, as it is kind of cruel that they can never catch it :eek:

Squalliesmom likes this.
  10. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

Hi Lucy!
    Dre is too heavy too and he does not eat very much (considering his size that is) He is active and I have 3 flights of stairs that he uses several times a day.
    Rico eats more and is not big--I think genes play a large factor-(of course I am biased:rolleyes:)

Squalliesmom likes this.
  11. Squalliesmom

I was busy and distracted at PMPS , and tested and shot without thinking about it, just as a matter of routine. An hour later I suddenly realized that I hadn't looked at the test number! When I went back through the meter I discovered he'd only been at 79 when I shot 4.75U of insulin!

I have already given him some gravy food with Karo to try and head off a crash but I am scared for him!

12. Squalliesmom

I just tested him, he's at 72. I'm having a hard time squeezing any significant amount of gravy out of the food and I'm afraid to let him eat too much because I will probably need him to eat again in a bit!

13. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Deep breath. :bighug::bighug: He's been surfing all late afternoon and even gone up a tiny bit. He should be fine. Get a +1 to see what he's doing.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  14. Wendy&Neko

79 and 72 are the same number within meter variance.

15. Squalliesmom

72 at +1. I am terrified for him!

16. Wendy&Neko

Look back at 9/26 - you shot a 72 that day. Whatever you did that day to steer him worked. This is where food notes showing any extra food would be helpful in the Remarks section. Regardless, he could still have a flat cycle.

Could you update the subject line with the latest numbers? Not sure it's a 911, but the latest numbers will let people know why you want eyes here.

17. Squalliesmom

I can't believe I did this to him. I am always so careful. I even sent my son back to add insulin to the syringe because when he drew it up for me he only drew up 4 U.

18. Lincolns Mom

Lincolns Mom Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug:Wendy is right... BREATH... you have this... you have lot supporters here to stay up with you... get an alarm clock set if you need to stay awake for him... but most of all breath and try to stay focused... you are not alone :bighug::bighug:

19. Shoeskitty-GA

Hang on Lucy! You know how to keep him up! Give lots of syrup if you have to.

20. Squalliesmom

Okay. I'm trying to stay calm but I'm in tears over this. I panicked when I realized what I had done, and the panic isn't really going away yet!

21. Lincolns Mom

Hun we have all felt that panic and those tears... :bighug::bighug::bighug: you truly are not alone :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Squalliesmom likes this.
  22. Shoeskitty-GA

You can do this Lucy!! I know u can.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  23. Squalliesmom

Thank you for pointing that out, that makes me feel a tiny bit less panicked. If there is no mention of steering him with food then he did not require it, I always note it on his SS.

24. Squalliesmom

He's just been running so low the past few nights that I'm really scared.

25. Shoeskitty-GA

You can give him some of the meat with the gravy too. The protein will help the glucose stay up when eaten with the gravy. Keep testing at least every 1/2 hr. Until he goes up a little.

26. Wendy&Neko

That's good then. You've given him HC but I would hold off on any more unless he shows you he needs it. Otherwise you'll be staying up a couple extra hours to see what his non carb influenced numbers are. Feeding LC is fine at this point. I would get a +2.

27. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

you can also use a little spoonful of ice cream, or whipping cream..... if he needs boosting later on.....

looks like he's liking the green floor and learning to hang out there.....
    encouraging the surf with normal LC is a good idea unless he decides to start diving....

try to remember that being on the green floor doesn't have the huge floor dives like going from 500 to 200....

as for exercise,
    i highly recommend tying a string to your belt loop or your ankle and walk around your house.....
    cats can't resist ( most can't anyway)

28. Squalliesmom

Thanks! I did, and I will!:bighug:

29. Squalliesmom

Okay, will do. Thanks!

30. Squalliesmom

I wouldn't have thought about the ice cream, what a great idea! If I need it, I have some lovely caramel ice cream in the freezer.

The string is a great idea, too, he loves strings and ribbons!

31. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Watching. Lucy you will be fine. You got this. Squallie is in good hands with you.

32. Squalliesmom

You are so right! I just got a +2 of 128.

33. Squalliesmom

Thanks, Paula. :bighug:

34. Squalliesmom

I know that 128 is heavily food-influenced so I will continue to test him every hour or so for a while, still. Good thing I'm a night owl, lol. :coffee:

Gussie's mom (GA) likes this.
  35. Lincolns Mom

Sounds like you caught your breath a bit :) and even if it is food influenced its given you a piece of mind which is a good thing :bighug::bighug: positive vines coming your way

Squalliesmom likes this.
  36. Wendy&Neko

I'm glad he's headed in a safer direction for you.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  37. Squalliesmom

Thanks!

38. Squalliesmom

Thanks, Wendy, and thanks for being so quick to come to my assistance and get me to breathe again! :bighug:

39. Squalliesmom

I guess I jumped the gun, giving him the HC food, but my first thought was just to start heading off a possible hypo before it got dire! So now I'll be up all night testing him, anyway, lol. But that's okay, I'd do anything for my sweet boy. :bighug:

40. Squalliesmom

My civvie Candy is terribly jealous of Squallie and she has spent this whole time, while I have been panic-stricken and trying to focus on Squall, knocking thing over on my desk, including a glass of water, trying to get in my face, tearing up mail, walking on the keyboard when I'm trying to type, and just generally wreaking havoc and being a little pill! She hates it when he is the center of my attention!

41. Gussie's mom (GA)

Well look at you Squallie! I step away for just a few minutes to grab supper and you work that juice!! When you can breathe and work thru this you will be so happy he hit these numbers! Like they have been telling you, remember to breathe, makes the coping and thinking so much easier!!;):bighug:
    You know your cat, you know what brings him up, and how to keep him safe, it's really a lather rinse repeat process as Chris taught me. You have the tools, you have the skills you just have to remember you do!
    But hey, I filled, and I mean FILLED poor Gussie with gravy, Karo AND honey all in one sitting....I felt like throwing up just thinking about what I filled his poor stomach with..poor guy. The next time was easier....:bighug: for both him and myself.:)

Squalliesmom likes this.
  42. Squalliesmom

43. Squalliesmom

I've shot some low numbers since he's been on Lantus, but never that low! He's been so low the past few nights, when I realized what I had done I just went into a complete panic. It's been a long time since his last hypo, not since he was on Vetsulin, and I wanted to avoid another one.:bighug:

44. Gussie's mom (GA)

Totally get the freak out! :bighug::bighug: Well now you have a new shot low number!!
    It's really weird and counter intuitive how shooting low works on Lantus, it seems like the lower you shoot the less radical the drop is...I tell myself that when you shoot from a higher number and the insulin brings the numbers down it's like the big drop on a roller coaster, the liver goes WHOA! !!:nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting: But then when the coaster is on those runs circling the track, you know the ones that really serve to slow it down? Gentle dips? Body goes oh! Oh ok....no liver freak out because it's just a gentle drop, no need to scream!
    Just the way I had to picture it to get it...
    ( avid coaster fan here obviously!)

Squalliesmom likes this.
  45. Squalliesmom

That's a great analogy, Les, and it paints a picture that is very clear and easy to see! My head knows this about Lantus, but the old Vetsulin habits are hard to shake, I guess: the idea of that much insulin with a pre-shot of only 79 just terrified me. I'm not sure I'll ever really be comfortable with that aspect of Lantus, lol. My brain knows it but my heart says, "Panic!"

I'm a coaster fan, too, lol! :bighug::bighug:

46. Squalliesmom

+6/45 Gave 1/2 tbsp HC food and will check again in about 30 minutes.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  47. Squalliesmom

Help needed here. What do I do if he's still low at AMPS? Say, between 50- 100? Do I give him a reduced dose? Full dose? Or skip it altogether?

48. Lincolns Mom

Checking in before i laydown for a few hours... i think you both have this.... though it looks like a long night ahead... come on Squallie come back up into the safe zone for your bean and stay there tonight... sorry not sure about AMPS just wanted to leave some encouraging words :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Squalliesmom likes this.
  49. Squalliesmom

Thanks, I appreciate the encouragement! :bighug: Yes, very long night. :coffee::coffee::coffee:

50. Squalliesmom

+6.30 42 Gave another 1/2 tbsp HC, small drop of Karo.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  51. Squalliesmom

Well, he must feel pretty good, 'cause he just chased my Bengal boy Khoji all around the house, then came over and scootched his butt on my keyboard, ewww! The keyboard has been disinfected, lol.

jayla-n-Drevon and Gill & George like this.
  52. Squalliesmom

53. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Hi missed all the action!!!:eek:

Nice to see he has come up with that HC.
    Remember the carb can wear off a couple more tests should confirm if he's going stay up, usually I would go to another in 30 min and if he is still up then one other in 45.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  54. Shoeskitty-GA

Lucy, what a night you have had! Glad that Squallie has come up when you needed it! Congrats on the reducie! I think you earned one with that 42.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  55. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Wow on your night. It's easy to panic when you first start shooting low numbers. The first time I saw a number in the 60s for Furball, I got karo syrup and poured out a lot instead of one drop. I hope Squallie kept surfing safely the rest of the night.

Technically since Squallie is a long-term diabetic he did not earn a reduction because he didn't go below 40. However since Squallie was so close to 40, I think you can take the reduction if you had a hard time getting his numbers to stay up. Or you can wait for one more drop below 50 before you reduce. He got to 50 on the PM cycle of 11/16. I think you can count that as one of three drops below 50. Good luck with your decision. Sending prayers. :bighug:

Squalliesmom and Shoeskitty-GA like this.
  56. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

woaaaa I missed the action! Sqaullie was on a mission. Great steering Lucy!
    I hope you are feeling ok and able to take a deep breath...you did awesome!:bighug:

Squalliesmom likes this.
  57. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

Sorry about the PJ party but you both did great! Which ever you decide whether to hold the dose or reduce is fine. For this mornings cycle on what to shoot will also depend on how exhausted you are and the ability to monitor. He has a large depot so even if you decide to shoot a one time reduced dose or the full dose, he'll need to be monitored. :bighug::bighug:

Squalliesmom likes this.
  58. Lincolns Mom

Hope Squallie is still staying up this morning and that you found a few hours of sleep in there... at least he enjoyed your late night party it sounds like :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Squalliesmom likes this.
  59. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

This really helped me. Thanks.

Didn't mean to high jack the thread. I read for information and knowledge s when I have time I try and read through the daily threads and learn from what is happening with other kitties and beans.

@Squalliesmom what was Squallie on before Lantus? I see it in your signature but don't know what the initials stand for.

60. Gussie's mom (GA)

Happy to hear! I did and do that too! It's smart and helps learn!:bighug:

61. Squalliesmom

Hi Lizzie. Squallie was on Vetsulin before he was on Lantus. The initials TR after Lantus stand for Tight Regulation, which is the protocol we're following. :)

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  62. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Well isn't Squallie a brat tonight!!!...Scaring his mamabean like that!!

But you handled it like a pro, Lucy!!

Hope you rewarded yourself with a little of that caramel ice cream!!!

63. Squalliesmom

Thanks, Chris. Love the new pic of China! :):):)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.