? help with pancreatitis/pyelonephritis 5/29 Yoyo AMPS 155,

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Debra and Yoyo, May 29, 2020.

1. Debra and Yoyo

Debra and Yoyo Well-Known Member

Yesterday 5/28 http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/5-28-yoyo-amps-224.230168/

Day 5 @ 1.38 Units Lantus

Good Morning.....Well I got some results back late last night for Yoyo....his SNAPfpl test came back high at 4.3 ...... his BUN is 33 and Creatinine is 16 which are both Normal.....but his SDMA was High at 18 which my Vet wrote that this means there is Renal Disease!! I don't understand this when his BUN and Creatinine are both normal. If anyone can shed light on this matter, please let me know...thank you!!

Vet wants Yo on Cerrenia. Yo hasn't been vomiting or having diarrhea so I am not ready to put him on Cerrenia unless the Cerrenia will help with the inflammation....I am going to call the Vet this morning.

I still feel that Yoyo needs a stronger antibiotic as they found on the ultrasound that his kidneys have dilation at his ueters. All of this gets so technical and confusing.

So my thoughts are that Yo has pancreatitis and also pyelonephritis?...but I am not a doctor, so I need to speak with the Dr ASAP.

Hope everyone is doing well and that you all have a great start to the weekend.
    Kitties listen up.....please surf Safely and stay HEALTHY!!:bighug:

2. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA) Well-Known Member

This makes sense to me! Hope you can have a talk with the vet soon!:bighug:

Debra and Yoyo likes this.
  3. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

Debra, I hope you can talk to the vet soon but in the meantime, I would put a question mark and a note in your thread title, even put a copy of the thread in the Health part of the forum. I'm sure there are lots of people who've been through (going through) similar and can provide some help. Also, Marj and Sienne might be able to help with the lab report. :bighug:

How does Yo seem to be feeling this morning, is he eating?

4. Debra and Yoyo

Thank you for the smart advice, I just updated his thread and I added one under Health.

Yo seems more alert this morning. He also had a decent bowel movement so at least those pipes are working:)
    Temp is normal, appetite eh but I finger fed him and he always accepts the food, thank goodness!

I just have concens about his kidneys, the dilated ueters and the high SDMA. Hopefully the vet will call soon and explain somethings to me that I don't understand.

The more I read the more frustrated I get. Almost every test can come back negative and be false. So why do we spend all this money to get false readings? His c&s can come back negative but still have bacteria. Marje has shed so much light on me about this and I never knew any of this.

Thanks again Sonia for your help:bighug:....I hope Leo is doing well, I haven't checked his SS this morning.

5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I have had extensive experience with pancreatitis. I’m going to read your previous posts and will be back.

He does have a lot going on which can influence all the tests. Since you have a score it’s not just the SNAP test which is done on house and shows just positive or negative. I’d give the cerenia. Cats often don’t vomit or appear nauseous. For Max it started with being picky with eating and then inappetent. Other diseases can get a higher than normal SpecFPL which it appears is the test given for pancreatitis and the best one at this time. With pancreatitis we treat the symptoms so that can include nausea medication, either ondansetron which is a human drug that sometimes works best when a cat isn’t vomiting or cerenia which is a vet Med and usually first choice for vets, sub-q fluids and pain medication such as buprenorphine .
    The kidney infection/UTI can definitely raise the kidney numbers so once feeling better I would recheck all labs.

Marj & Djoko and Sonia & Leo like this.
  6. Debra and Yoyo

Thank you for your response.......did you read the post about his ueters being dilated that go into the kidney? The vet explained to me that the part entering the kidney is irregular shaped and dilated. Would this consist of kidney disease? I feel that he does have pyelonephritis and needs a different antibiotic....Thank you very much for your response:)

7. Jill & Scooter

Jill & Scooter Well-Known Member

I don’t have any experience to share, but vines and prayers for you and Yoyo! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

8. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope you can get some answers and get Yoyo feeling better. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

9. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Awww...sending vines and prayers as well! I sure hope your vet calls you soon to explain all of this to you!

Hang in there Debra!:bighug::bighug::bighug:

10. tiffmaxee

I don’t know what that means but I would first want to see if the antibiotics do anything. See what your vet thinks. I know my internist always does a recheck of anything abnormal before diagnosing. Strangely enough the only time he didn’t was when I did a dipstick that showed glucose in Max’s urine and Lantus was started the next day. We had tons of prior recent labs so that is likely why.
    Convenia is not a drug specifically for kidney infection or a UTI but so many vets immediately go to it, even my vet who is stingy on ordering them. Was a culture and sensitivity sent out? That will take a few days to see which antibiotic to use but you are right that sometimes they don’t grow anything even if there is a kidney infection.

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  11. Debra and Yoyo

Thanks Jill, always something brewing to give me more worries....never dull by me.....I hope you are well and thank you for the prayers:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Jill & Scooter likes this.
  12. Sonia & Leo

You're very welcome. I'm so glad Elise was around to help you. Thanks for asking, Leo's fine, he came outside with me earlier when I was watering and had a long nap in the flower garden. I'm just racing to do a few things that I've ignored that were about to "blow up" if I didn't get to them! In crazy mode today! Sending feeling good vines to Yo and comfort to you. I'll check back in later. :bighug:

13. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

My vet agrees with Elise's internist. Get a second test before diagnosing. I have whose b/w showed an SDMA of 14 when she got here, and now it hangs out around 5.

Cerenia does have some anti inflammatory properties. Sending healing vines for sweet Yoyo. :bighug:

14. Debra and Yoyo

I really appreciate all your time, you are great:)....they did send out a culture and sensitivity and said that it probably won't be back until next week. That seems like such a long time to wait to put him on antibiotics when he was soooo sick the other day. Sure his fever is down now from Convenia and he is more perky w/o the fever but in my gut I know something else is going on with him besides pancreatitis. His current SNAPfpl test result wasn't even that high at 4.3 with fasting, he has tested higher last year at 4.9 with food. And I did not give cerrenia last year, instead I started to use slippery elm bark(SEB). The SEB really did help until whatever he got now hit him hard.

Can you please tell me if you have used cerenia and if so, what was the dosage including mg and tablet amount.

Thank you for taking time from your day and helping me....means a lot....thank you!!

15. Debra and Yoyo

The first ultra sound was done by my vet who saw a suspicious area and followed up with images. The images were read by a radiologist which really told me nothing relavant to his symptoms and didn't see a suspicious area.....then the vet suggested that Yo get a full ultrasound of his stomach. So the next day he went back for more IV drip and had the ultrasound done which was Wednesday.

Nothing really conclusive from u/s either. Dilated ureter is noted, possible pyrelonphritis, bilateral mild nephropathy, bilateral mild pyelectasia, bilateral mild adrenomegaly, and it is noted that she discussed rare syndrome of hyperaldosteronism.

Recommended: specfpl, urine culture & blood pressure.
    Specfpl came back at 4.3, urine culture still pending, and blood pressure was 178(high). But I feel blood pressure needs to be retaken when he feels better, when he doesn't have a fever and when I can be present in the room with him. He is never left anywhere and these 2 days going back and forth to the vet with him and being left there for most of the day was very stressful on him and ME!!:)...so tests have been repeated along with repeated blood work from in house to being sent out to IDEXX.

Vet says that he has pancreatitis because specfpl came back at 4.3 and that he should take cerenia.

So I still don't have any conclusive answers. And if the c & s comes back negative, I'll still have no answers as to why he was so sick with a high fever.

Thank you for sending healing vines for my little boy....he thanks you:cat::bighug:

16. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I agree on redoing the BP. Some really elevate due to stress. Neko's first attempt was an epic failure. Vet was late due to an emergency, barky dogs in the waiting room wanted to sniff her cage, new tech trying to do the BP but not really familiar with the machine. Both Neko and I were hyperventilating, got over 220. :rolleyes: Second attempt, at acupuncture vet, very quiet waiting room but a darn puppy had to check her out as he walked by, result 180. Third attempt at dental vet before a dental. Her alone for a while in a quiet cat room with Feliways going - result 141. After that I when going for BP, I always sprayed the carrier with Feliway and gave some Rescue Remedy before the trip.

Sonia & Leo and Debra and Yoyo like this.
  17. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

How nice all this info from Elise!
    Hope you're ok! :bighug: Will be waiting for updates! Our little Yo will be Ok! :kiss: :cat:

18. tiffmaxee

The number on the SpecFPL doesn’t always correspond with how bad they feel. As Wendy said cerenia can help with inflammation as well as nausea so worth trying. What dose did your vet suggest? How much does Yo-yo weigh?

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  19. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

If vet thinks there is pancreatitis, pain medication like bupre is needed, cerenia won't be enough for the pain. It does have some anti inflammatory properties but not pain relief.

20. Debra and Yoyo

Yo has lost weight, he is down to 11.1#'s....I was told to give 1 tablet, 16mg, daily for 4 days

21. Debra and Yoyo

Thank you!!

22. Sonia & Leo

23. tiffmaxee

That’s a high dose. I gave Max who was over 16 pounds 8 mg. I’d start with half and go up if need be. I learned to keep nausea medication on board until he was back to normal for several days and then taper off slowly one thing at a time. Let me see if I can find out if dosing guidelines have changed. The dose is 2mg per kg. So I think your vet’s dose is on the high side.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    Marje and Gracie likes this.
  24. tiffmaxee

The cerenia is for inflammation and vomiting but not for pain. It might help a tad for pain but not enough to help much. It was strange but Max never improved with pain medication. Nausea was his main issue. You know cats ECID.

25. Debra and Yoyo

Thank you so much....you have been so supportive. I agree with your suggested dosing for cerenia.

If I may ask, where did you find the dosing guidelines? I went onto PetPlace.com but I wasn't able to navigate thru the site to find anything that I wanted to know. It showed me articles but I didn't see an area to SEARCH.
    I just want a trustful site for cats and dogs.

26. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

27. Debra and Yoyo

You are the best...thank you! I kept going to the site and got more frustrated each time. I couldn't search no matter what I did....thank you for telling me:)

28. tiffmaxee

I belong to several groups on groups io including the pancreatitis one. The moderators research everything. The injectable dose for cerenia s 1mg per kg but the oral isn’t absorbed as well so 2 mg per kg is suggested. Cerenia doesn’t work as well for nausea as it does for vomiting which is why I mostly used ondansetron. Vets usually under subscribe the dose for cats as they go by the dog dose and dogs absorb it better but yours went the other way which is better. My vet always goes for the lowest effective dose which is why I would start a little lower. I guess it would be fine to go with the higher if vomiting a lot or not eating.