Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Henry's human

Henry's human Member

Hi, I am Henry's human. Henry was diagnosed yesterday and I was directed here from the Facebook group . I hope to learn a lot; actually I have already learned that the dry food I was sold at the vet yesterday is the wrong thing to be feeding him.
    Oh we live in Australia and henry is 4 years old and also has asthma.

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to FDMB.
    I live in Australia too.....in Sydney.
    Here is a list of foods that are suitable here in Aus for diabetic cats. Scroll down the page about 12 posts and you will come to food in Australia. Canned wet food or a home prepared diet is the best food for cats. You need to pick a food that is 10% or less carbohydrates. Most dry food is 20 to 35% carbohydrate and no cats should be eating such high carb food, even if they are not diabetic. But we are not told that and most of us find that out when our cat is diagnosed with diabetes.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/food-links.133016/

What type of insulin is Henry on and how much?
    Would you like to tell us your name?
    Welcome again. Everyone here is happy to help and answer question and many are very knowledgeable about feline diabetes.

3. Henry's human

Henry's human Member

Sorry, my name is Emily. He is taking Lantus, one unit twice a day. Glad to see another Australian. I am from Newcastle. I just wrote a post in the health forum about food, thank you for the link! I am annoyed the vet sold me dry food if it is bad. I think I will take it back.

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Hi Emily!!
    Yes I would take it back. There is no need to buy expensive prescription food from the vet. If you go though the list you will find suitable canned food.
    Are you home testing? We strongly recommend you do as you can keep your kitty safe and manage the BSL much better. Cats often run higher at the vets so a recommended dose could be too much once the cat gets home and the blood sugar drops.

5. Henry's human

Henry's human Member

I honestly didn't know you could test at home. The vet didn't mention it. We go in tomorrow to have his test done, so I will ask.

6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

You don't have to ask if you can test. Most vets would not be used to people testing. And many would not have heard of it. I was the first in the practice I go to to test.
    If your vet is on board with it all so much the better, but it is up to you if you want to do it. You don't need a script or anything to do the testing. Some vets only think it is necessary to test every couple of weeks but here we test before every shot and then in the middle of the cycle to see how far down the insulin has taken the cat. How low they go determines what the dose should be. Many a cat has been saved from dropping too low with testing.
    If you decide you want to, we can help you choose a meter and strips and get you started with lots of hints etc
    Bron

7. Henry's human

Henry's human Member

Oh ok, that sounds great. I think I will do it as I'm very worried about him having a hypo. I'm constantly staring at him and poking him if he's sleeping too soundly. Poor boy hehe.
    What's the cycle? Is that in between the 12 hours?
    Also, when should I feed him? He has been ravenous for days, and the vet said to let him have as much dry food as he wants.. I didn't know if that would affect his levels.

8. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Yes a cycle is between the shots. So there is AMPS (am preshot) and the time between that and the Next shot PMPS ( pm preshot) is called a cycle.
    He is probably very hungry because with high blood sugars, the body is not once he gets into better numbers he will be less hungry.
    We test, feed and shoot in that order. We don't give food for the 2 hours before the preshot test so that the result is not food influenced. We choose a spot to test and always test there. We give a treat after every test, even if it was unsuccessful. Henry will soon learn to associate the food and testing link. I just have to go to the monitor and tear off one of the test strips and Sheba goes straight to the testing area.
    With the food, he will probably want to eat more than usual until he is more under control.
    WE usually divide the morning food up into two or three lots. We feed at AMPS, +2or 3 and then again at +5 or 6 when the insulin will drop the BSL the lowest. Some people just divide the meals into two lots. It is an individual thing but it is better for the pancreas to have smaller amounts. Do the same with the PM food. Try and keep to the same amount of food each time as more food for example will chance how the insulin works.
    Here is the home testing link

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/

9. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I use an Abbott Optium monitor which I bought at the chemist. There are other one available but before you buy, you need to check how much the test strips are. Chemists are always very expensive to buy from but eBay is cheaper...half as much. At the chemist the monitors are about $40 and the strips $60.
    If you are unsure, post here and someone will help you. Don't forget to mention you are from Australia.

Henry's human likes this.
  10. Sarah Smith

Sarah Smith Member

Welcome to you and Henry! I see from here and your other post you are already getting lots of great advice! I know it can seem overwhelming at first, but it will get alot easier from here :)

Henry's human likes this.
  11. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

When you have a moment, could you add a few tidbits to your signature? It will help us give you feedback.

Editing your Signature

In the upper right corner of the screen, within the dark blue bar, you will see ID, Inbox, and Alerts

Click on your ID.

On the left, under Settings, Click on Signature.
    This is where you will put information that helps us give you feedback. You are limited to 2 hard returns, so separate pieces by | or -.
    This is where you paste the link for your spreadsheet, once it is set up.
    Add any other text, such as your name | cat's name | date of Dx (diagnosis) | insulin | meter | general location (city and state/province, country) any other pertinent issues like if there are any food issues, history of DKA, hepatic lipidosis, pancreatitis, allergies, IBD, etc.

Click the Save Changes button at the bottom.

12. Tara & Ivana (GA)

Tara & Ivana (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Emily and Henry, welcome! I'm on the Central Coast so if you ever needed help with anything or want to catch up over a coffee to talk FD, always happy to help out :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.