Hey There !

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Cathy Morse, Jan 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cathy Morse

Cathy Morse Member

I just recently found this forum while searching for cat diabetes help. I am happy to meet all here. Im a 56 yr old woman living by myself in the northern reaches of Vermont. I live with one horse, one donkey, one dog and one cat, and one eastern cottontail. My horse I've had since her birth 20 yrs ago. I also owned her mother and her grandmother, who was my first mare back in 1971. Echo shares her pasture and run-in with Jake, my mini donkey who is 23 and has made his home with me since age 1. Ozzie is my Dobe whom I adopted from DRU, three yrs ago, he is 8. I've had Dobes continually, sometimes many at once , since 1979. Callie, my cat, has been here for a yr, I took her in from ppl who no longer wanted her. She's the most loving cat ever. She has diabetes.

I have four grown daughters. I have diabetes as well as many other health problems including debilitating spine issues that I was born with. I live way up in the Cold Hollow Mts, nine miles from closest town, without a car. My existence is quite challenging. I live with no other humans.

I am hoping to learn here why my cat is not responding to vetsulin. I will make a post soon.

2. Merlin

Merlin Well-Known Member

Welcome Cathy and Callie. Thank you for introducing all your family to us. It sounds like you have a very special family in one of the most beautiful part of the country. My daughter and I thru-hiked the Appalachian Trail in 2013 and Vermont was one of our most favorite states. We hope to go back there sometime soon to backpack some more there.

You have really come to the best place to be, when faced with feline diabetes. There is so much information so you may feel very overwhelmed at first. First thing that I would suggest is to read this 18 page document from a vet. It will give you so much information including what is best to feed for diabetes as well as information on some other illnesses. Here it is: www.catinfo.org

Next thing I would suggest is to start home testing just like you do to yourself. You can even use your human meter and test strips on Callie. This is so you can determine how much of a dose Callie needs and to also ensure that Callie does not get too high or too low. You may already be doing this.

The other thing that I would suggest is to read other people's post in the "Welcome" forum and the main "Health" forum. You will also notice that we have information in our signatures regarding our kitties. This also include spreadsheets. The spreadsheets is where we collect our data when we test. It shows us wonderful patterns and trends.

We have all sorts of information to share with you. Just holler any time of day or night and someone should be here to assist you.

3. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Cathy, and welcome to you and Callie.

I really enjoyed hearing about your family, but I'm sorry to hear about your own health problems. Can't be easy. And your remote location and transport restrictions on top!?!

My cat, Saoirse, was initially treated with the same insulin as Callie is currently receiving. I will keep an eye out for further posts from you.

I'm glad you took Callie in. :)

Mogs

EDITED TO ADD:

Spotted your other posts. Will keep an eye on the thread.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  4. rocky1

rocky1 Guest

hello rocky1 is a new member to fdmb. need help with connecting to othe members via e mail please help

5. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.