Home with an unhappy Smiggle

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Smiggle14, Dec 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smiggle14

Smiggle14 New Member

My Smiggle was just diagnosed with diabetes, and pancreatitis, just got discharged from Tufts. She is one unhappy cat, being forced to eat wieght loss food (horrors!) and no treats. She is still unhappy and uncomfortable. I want my happy kitty back!

2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB. There is a wonderful group of people here with an enormous amount of hands on experience looking after diabetic cats and we are ready willing and able to help you get Smiggle back to being a happy and healthy cat!

It sounds like your vet has given Smiggle (love the name!) one of the prescription diets and it is not surprising that Smiggle is not happy. Many kitties just won't eat the Rx stuff and the really good news is that it's not the only choice and in most cases not the best choice. While the Rx canned food is acceptable, the Rx dry kibble definitely isn't the right food for Smiggle. Diabetic cats need a high protein, low carb canned diet and retail brands such as Fancy Feast pates or Friskies pates (if you are located in the U.S. or Canada) are much better choices, usually more readily accepted by our cats and far less expensive. There is more info re: food choices HERE.

For treats, many of us give our kitties pure protein freeze dried treats such as PureBites so Smiggle can still have some treats...just different ones.

If you could give us a little more info regarding Smiggle, such as whether insulin has been prescribed, if so what kind, the dose, whether you are home testing (which we consider to be vitally important), any other medications Smiggle is on, and anything else you think might help us help you, we'll do our best to assist you get Smiggle back to a happy place!

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Welcome.
    Good insulin are the human Lantus and Levemir and the pet insulins ProZinc and BCP PZI. For those two human insulin it is best to get the 5 pack of 3 ml disposable pens via a 10 ml vial. Although per ml the vial is less expensive most cats will not use up a 10 ml vial before the insulin goes bad/becomes ineffective. The human insulin N/NPH is sometimes prescribed but only lasts 8-10 hours. Same for the pet insulin Vetsulin/Caninisulin.
    Most of us here test or cats blood glucose at home using a human meter. We test before each shot and periodically between shots. We record our reading and other info in a spreadsheet. See:http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...te-a-ss-and-link-it-in-your-signature.130337/
    What weight-loss food are you feeding? A low-carb canned is best. No reason for a prescription food. Here is a list of commercial low-carb canned

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/shortcut-shopping-list-all-8-or-less-updated.117688/

Here is a link to home testing blood sugarshttp://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/

4. Smiggle14

Smiggle14 New Member

She is on one unit of lantus 2X/day. Will go back to Tufts for glucose monitoring next week. Because of her pancreatitis she is also on pain meds , clavamox and anti- nausea med. she is feeling more like herself this am

5. Smiggle14

Smiggle14 New Member

6. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Smiggie's Person,

I'm really glad to read that Smiggie's feeling a little better today. My Saoirse has chronic pancreatitis, so I know how worrying it is when they have a flare. I bet you're both glad that she's back at home: it's much less stressful for them and it can speed recovery. Please be sure to keep us updated with Sniggie's progress and let us know if you have any questions or need a bit of support.

Here's a useful resource for kitties with pancreatitis:

IDEXX Pancreatitis Treatment Guidelines

Mogs

7. Smiggle14

Smiggle14 New Member

She is home! Came home just before Christmas with 10 days of Clavamox, pain killer (only needed 3 of 5 day dose of that), and anti-nausea meds. She is back to her old Smiggy self, and tolerating her shots quite well. Going in tomorrow for glucose curve (?), not sure if that is the proper term. Her appetite is back also!

Critter Mom likes this.
  8. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Clavamox may cause an upset GI tract because it kills off both bad and good bacteria. You might want to pick up some Forti Flora to give a couple hours after the Clavamox, to replace some of the good bacteria.

9. Smiggle14

Smiggle14 New Member

Will ask the vet tomorrow when I see her, thanks!

10. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Forti Flora is available online as well. Check places like Amazon, CalVet Supply, and Lambert Vet supply.

11. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Just checking in to see how Smiggle's doing, and to wish you both a happy New Year. :)

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.