I raise the dose and PS goes up??

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Adam Flowers, Oct 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adam Flowers

Adam Flowers Member

Having trouble with Mogee. His numbers have been higher than normal. His dental is still a week and a half away.

It seems as I raise his dose his preshot goes above 300? I don't believe it is a bounce as he seems to not go down very far from his preshot.

But if I keep his dose below 1.75 units, his preshots are mid 200s?

Is he getting TOO MUCH insulin?

ALSO...is it time to consider a different insulin? Prozinc wears off by +4 and he is always mid 200s by +6 - +8??

Any advice is helpful. Thanks guys

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Has he been on ProZinc the whole time? Since 2017? If the answer is yes, then it might not be a bad idea to try something different

Adam Flowers likes this.
  3. Adam Flowers

Adam Flowers Member

Yes, since September 26, 2017. Prozinc this entire time.

What would you recommend? What should I stay away from?

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I would go with Lantus or Levemir.....but you'll have to re-learn pretty much everything since they are depot insulins and work in a different way.

Lantus is the insulin that most people here use so there's lots of experienced eyes to help out.

You can also buy it a lot cheaper if you get it from Canada. Here's the information on buying from Canada

Adam Flowers likes this.
  5. Adam Flowers

Adam Flowers Member

Yeah, I figured it would be a relearning process but I'm not worried having all of you.

I'll speak with the vet and see what I can do. Around here most offices only prescribe the insulin they mainly use. I had a hard time finding a vet that prescribed Prozinc when I needed to switch as his previous vet wanted me to keep him on that Glycobalance and I knew we needed to go the wet route after you guys kept telling me.

His current vet uses vetsulin I believe but said they would write a script for Prozinc through Chewy after I begged, I am sure they would do the same for Lantus.

6. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

I recommend Levemir. Here is an older thread I found interesting: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/why-is-lantus-so-much-more-popular-than-levemir.195958/

My vet had not even heard of it when I requested it, but she went in the back and did some quick research just to see that it is used in cats, then she was fine prescribing it. If you switch, get the prescription written for a 5 pack of pens rather than just a vial. The clock is ticking once you open insulin, so you probably will not get to finish a vial before it loses effectiveness. Each pen has less units of insulin in it, so there is much less waste. The initial cost seems expensive, but when you consider how much insulin you have and how long it will last, it really isn't. (I got mine at Costco.)

7. Adam Flowers

Adam Flowers Member

Any ideas on why he has given me 7 preshots in a row above 300 when I raised him dose? But has only gave maybe 10 readings above 300 in the past few months?

8. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Maybe his dental issues are bringing his numbers up, and it is coincidental that you happened to have changed the dose.

I am a little confused by some of the dose change history. Also, he hasn't seen a 'green' since 8/4. I do not think he has really been getting enough insulin. I would hold his doses for two or three days then raise by .25 until you see him getting into some high greens, especially with this being numbers from a human meter. If the dental situation is impacting his numbers, he may need a little more insulin now, and the need may go down some after that is taken care of.

You may want to post on the ProZinc forum when you have questions specific to dosing.

Adam Flowers likes this.
  9. Adam Flowers

Adam Flowers Member

@FurBabiesMama I will try that, thank you. He gets bloodwork done Tuesday, so maybe I will find out more then too.

Laura bb likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.