I'm so scared...my Dweezil has Diabetes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by monty_dweezil (GA), Dec 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monty_dweezil (GA)

monty_dweezil (GA) Member

Thank you all!!! He is the most beautiful boy. His beauty and cuteness is equalled only by his brother Monty, heheh.

And thank you so much Deb & Wink, I do feel more in control...I wish I felt MORE in control, like if we could get the blood testing working and if our vet didn't think it best to feed only dry Diabetic food once every 12 hours, whereas I want to feed wet food or at most, the lowest carb dry food possible and feed 4 times a day. BLEGH.

2. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

I know your in Australia, so perhaps your vet doesn't know about the AAHA Diabetes Management Guidelines for Dogs and Cats. It's a vet journal article published back in 2010 that gathered together some of the current research on diabetes and summarized it in this article. At the top of page 218, it says canned foods are preferable over dry foods and says why.
    You might want to share that article with your vet and let them see what some of the current recommendations for diabetes treatment are.

Critter Mom likes this.
  3. monty_dweezil (GA)

Thank you so much, again. :)

4. monty_dweezil (GA)

Update - Dweezy went back to the vet today and got a blood test, which he did very well with. A perfect angel, heheh. UNLIKE the last time when they tried to do the full curve. *shudder*

Anyway, so his number was 19.2 (342), which is not what I wanted to see, but I wasn't surprised. He was stressed from being there as well as being in the taxi getting there (10-15 minute trip) and it was 2 hours after his normal insulin dose should have been (normally at 6am, and the test was at 8am), so 14 hours since his last dose.

He'll be going back in a few more hours for the nadir blood test, and I also want a fructosamine test.

Once we get the nadir number (which I expect will be around 10-12 or 180-216), I think they will recommend the dose increase to either 1.5 or 2 units, which I have been wanting to do for weeks but you know...lol. I wanted to wait until we had at least a few numbers to guide us.

At these numbers, what do people here think would be an ok dose adjustment for him? At diagnosis, he was 35 (630). He went onto 2 units and a week later during much stress, his numbers (2 hours after his normal insulin dose time so 14 hours since last dose) were 13 (234). Then he went back to 1 unit and since then, it seems his numbers have hovered around the low to mid 300s.

On a side note, brother Monty is at the vet today too, after getting his teeth cleaned. He comes home with Dweezil later.

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

You're probably ready to start posting in the Lantus/Levemir forum and pick a protocol to follow - Tight Regulation or Start Low, Go Slow.
    They can give you specific guidance on using Lantus.

6. monty_dweezil (GA)

Dweezy's nadir number was 9.2 (170). Our vet has suggested going back to his original dose of 2 units.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.