Important message about cat food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by JoyBee&Ravan, Aug 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

Message from my Vet:

"There is an emerging problem with certain "Grain Free diets." Do some reading on the Internet.At this time we recommend you switch to a NON-GRAIN FREE DIET.
    The issue is Heart Muscle Problems."

2. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Check it out for yourself, but at this time it appears the concern is with canine diets. Even the last link (from PetMD) regarding feline cat food states, "High protein, low carbohydrate diets do have their place, particularly in the feeding of diabetic cats."

Christie & Maverick likes this.
  3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

4. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

It may explain why our parents pets lived to a ripe old age without all the health issues that the pet population is experiencing in North America today.

5. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

I read the Internet info & I think it's referring to the fact that Grain Free does NOT mean it's not high in carbs.

6. Jill & Alex (GA)

That's a whole 'nother subject...

7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

If you read the articles/links I've seen on this, the issue is actually not enough taurine in some grain free diets. The issue is lack of taurine, not whether or not there is grain in the diet. Cat foods are supplemented with taurine.

8. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

For what the articles say the problem is with dogs and with food that list potatoes and legumes as part of their main ingredients that appear to be causing some taurine deficiency although I think is not clear yet if the problem is being caused by the legumes, the lack of protein or the lack of grains or that most dog foods that lack grains also lack protein or some combination and most dog food do not contain added taurine

9. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Just note the the AFFCO requirements for pet food do have a requirement for taurine bur only for cats. No taurine is required for dog food.

10. Arkali

Arkali Member

I swear, I'm learning that the pet-food industry is just as jacked up as the people-food industry so far as being unhealthy, unnatural, and making us sick. :sigh:

beggargirl likes this.
  11. Jill & Alex (GA)

12. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Thanks Jill this is very helpful specially for the ones like me that also have dogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.