? Is my Lantus no longer working? Increased dose, BG in red

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by heyhollis, Aug 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heyhollis

heyhollis Member

Jai Jai took increased dose, but there seems no effect on his BGs. Is there anything about the effectiveness of the current vial? It has been opened for nearly 2 months. It is in the refrigerator, but we may not handle it as good as @@julie & punkin (ga) taught us in the video via this thread.

If we get a new vial, will it cause Jai Jai's BG to drop drastically? I want to know how people deal with the kitten when changing the vial due to the old one's effectiveness is fading out. Thank you and have a wonderful rest day.

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

When you first increase the dose, you can get a temporary rise in numbers, that we call New Dose Wonkiness, or NDW. The numbers will go down once the depot stabilizes.

We have had people use a vial for five or six months if kept in the refrigerator.

SpecklesandMe likes this.
  3. Sue484

Sue484 Well-Known Member

Mine lasted 5.5 months and was still good when I used the last drop.

4. heyhollis

heyhollis Member

Hi, Wendy. I was thinking of NDW but the consistent high numbers in the past eight days make me think there may be some other reasons. I have bought the pen type, and I am going to use the new one this evening. I am so scared if the new one works like a charm.

Hi, Sue. I have double checked my vial, inside is the clear solution without hint of cloudiness. Does it mean that it is still good?

5. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Probably it's fine, but if you're concerned, try the new insulin...if the numbers immediately start coming down then it's possible the old vial has lost some of it's effectiveness but if you continue to get the same kind of numbers with the new pen, you'll know the insulin in the vial is probably still fine

heyhollis and SpecklesandMe like this.
  6. heyhollis

heyhollis Member

Hi, @Chris & China. This is what exactly I am planning to do. I will check on Jai Jai before bed time.

Will update how the new pen is doing with Jai Jai. Have a nice day!

7. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Diabetic cats are more prone to infection, which will raise the glucose numbers. Look for any signs - off behavior, frequent urination, nose or eye discharge.
    Pancreatitis, which may or may not be due to infection, will raise glucose levels, too. It is painful and cats frequently 'meatloaf' or crouch and look miserable.

8. heyhollis

heyhollis Member

Hi, BJM. Thank you for reminding me of some more possible causes. I will keep an eye on Jai Jai for any sign of illness or infection he may have.

@Wendy&Neko , @Sue484 , @Chris & China. A quick update on Jai Jai's BG, his PM +3 is 376, moved from red to pink now. It may be because of the over of NDW or it may be because of the new Lantus pen. Got no idea but I hope that Jai Jai will have some nicer figures.

Critter Mom likes this.
  9. heyhollis

heyhollis Member

Hi, all. I have got another update. Jai Jai's BG went back to red after two pinks..........I'm going to have another increase tomorrow evening.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.