? Jade 7/4 amps 89 ..no shoot, what if pmps is also quite low?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jill & Jade, Jul 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jill & Jade

Jill & Jade Well-Known Member

2. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Shawna & Davidson (GA) Well-Known Member

No reason to panic, although we've all been there before. Jade has some nice blue numbers yesterday and possibly working off the depot a bit to bring the 89. Just keep testing as you have been and she may drop a bit at +2, or start to go back up. It's good news to see the numbers start to drop as that means "healing", and the best thing we hope for is for all the kitties to get into the greens on a consistent basis. If she drops to a number that "YOU" are not comfortable with then give her some food to spike the test, that will surely bring the numbers back up to a comfy level for you.

Jill & Jade likes this.
  3. Jill & Jade

Thank you! Will update over the next couple hours.

4. Jill & Jade

+1 is 155....quite a jump! Is this a good sign that she's (me) going to have a nice day?:)

5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

She’s likely bouncing from tge lower bg she is not yet used to and/or reacting to tge skipped shots. Are you skipping this morning?

6. Jill & Jade

I did skip this morning. Will test again in 45 minutes (+2) I’m taking this low amps # as a good thing. :)

7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Jill --

Are you following SLGS or TR? Which ever dosing method you're using, it would help to make a note in you signature line. If you were following TR, ultimately, you want to be able to shoot low numbers (i.e., anything above 50 on a human meter/68 on an AlphaTrack).

I don't know if this is a bounce. It may have been that Jade had a late nadir during the PM cycle. Do you typically head off to bet at around Jade's +2? If not, can you try to get a test before you do go to bed? It will help to sort out where her numbers are heading over the PM cycle.

If this was a late nadir, numbers can be lower at the end of the cycle and then start to rise closer to the net pre-shot. An alternative to skipping the shot would be to not give Jade her meal and stall. Re-test in 20 min or so and if numbers are clearly rising, (e.g., you see a rise from 89 to 155), it would be safe to shoot. The down side is you would need to get back on your usual shot time schedule since you were shooting late. It can help to remember that if you get a lower than expected pre-shot test, your at the end of a cycle and typically the effect of insulin is wearing off, it takes approximately 2 hours for Lantus onset to occur, and you will be feeding your kitty which also causes numbers to rise.

Jill & Jade likes this.
  8. Jill & Jade

Thanks for that info...I have really been flip flopping on the method choosing, so I'm not following either just yet. Still pretty new to this roller coaster ride. I was following the advice on not shooting under 150, but took a chance yesterday and shot at 124. She started to drop instead of rise and I fed her small amounts of 8% with a dab of gravy so that she would hold steady throughout the day as I had to work from 3-10pm. That was the lowest I've shot at am def not comfortable enough to shoot at 89. I have stalled a couple of times. It seemed to me that her being at 129 at 9am and then down to 89 at 11am was a sign that she was dropping as opposed to rising. That late in the cycle seems unusual to be that low ( i admit my knowledge is pretty limited).

9. Jill & Jade

...and yes, I shoot at 11am-11pm so I wait to go to bed until +2 is done and ok.

10. Jill & Jade

ok...+ 2 is 188....safe for me to leave for the afternoon?

11. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

While this is completely counterintuitive, for many cats, if you shoot low the cycle stays flat. (Having said that, I would also be lying if I didn't point out that it's not always the case. This is why having data is so important.) If you take a look at some of the spreadsheets where people are noting a low pre-shot number and see what the cycle looks like, you'll have an idea of what I'm talking about. Take a look at Chris' China's SS for an example.

It would be helpful if you could chose a dosing method. It makes it very difficult for us to lend a hand if we don't know your strategy re. dosing. Combining TR and SLGS never seems to work particularly well.

I don't know if this is possible for you, but would it work if you moved your shot time an hour or two earlier? It looks like Jade's nadir is later than +2. If that's the latest your able to test in the PM, numbers may be heading down after you've turned in for the night. I ended up adjusting Gabby's shot time to 5:00 so I could get in several tests before I left for work in the AM given that she had an early onset and had a tendency to dive early in the cycle. Like I said, I don't know if moving the shot time to 9 or 10:00 is feasible but it may be something to consider.

FYI - since you skipped the shot, you could have left at any time.

Mandy & Rex (GA) likes this.
  12. Jill & Jade

I’ll do that when I get home! I wish I could change the times, I run a restaurant in the evenings tho...

13. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

I think I asked you about the times before. I know folks in the restaurant business work crazy hours.

Jill & Jade likes this.
  14. Jill & Jade

IF she's at a low # at her pmps....what shoudl I do? Skip again??

15. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

depends on how low she is

Jill & Jade likes this.
  16. Jill & Jade

It’s rough!!
    well hi there! Happy 4th! I don’t feel comfortable under 128 or so... is that an ok # to skip on? I shot yesterday around that and she dipped pretty quickly instead of rising a bit first.

17. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

If 128 is your no shot number, give it a try. As you feel more confident and have more data you might shoot lower. It also will depend on whether you can monitor. You might want to get an auto feeder that you can set with food just in case you need to leave and she’s dropping. Cats tend to want to eat when their bg drops which is just what you want them to do.

Bobbie And Bubba and Jill & Jade like this.
  18. Jill & Jade

I did buy one, I just haven’t set it up yet! But I will this weekend for sure. If I go a day without insulin and she doesn’t go high, what does that mean? I guess I’m asking if she stays in a good range, why give her insulin at all? I’m still trying to understand exactly how insulin works. I have it in my head that it’s just to lower Bg . I don’t think that’s accurate. Just trying to rewire my brain from my preconceived notion. Not challenging the diagnosis or treatment in any way. And would never put her health at risk by NOT giving her the medicine she needs. Just trying to really understand this diagnosis and treatment. I appreciate your time!

19. Jill & Jade

Let me reiterate....I'm just asking this in search of knowledge and understanding. NOT because I'm even considering not treating her or following the advice I'm given. My baby wouldn't have made it this far without this message board and the amazing people that have helped me. I have zero doubt about that. Just trying to educate myself.

20. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

If your goal is remission, you want to heal her pancreatic beta cells. That means giving them some time off to recover with injected insulin doing the work. If you bring them back on line too quickly, a remission may not last. Of course I am paraphrasing what happens. But we have found that giving insulin as long as safely possible, leads to stronger remissions.

If you keep on having to skip, you might want to consider reducing the dose so you can get two shots in per day.

Jill & Jade likes this.
  21. Jill & Jade

That makes sense! Thanks! So do you think it would be ok to try .25? I believe I was supposed to stick with .5 for a couple days. She seems to be awfully sensitive to insulin. Seems like such a minuscule amount but is clearly keeping her low. I’ll do whatever is best for her. I appreciate the feedback , it really helps. You guys have been a lifesaver for me and literally for Jade . :bighug:

22. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes, since you couldn't shoot this morning according to SLGS, then do try 0.25u to see if you can shoot that twice a day.

Jill & Jade likes this.
  23. Jill & Jade

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.