Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

ahhh, day three of this stuff and her AMPS was 5.9 (ummmm, 106?) which has me allllll confused considering it was almost 30 yesterday! I tested again and it was only 0.3 different so i feel it’s pretty accurate despite my out-of-date strips.

But I recall reading somewhere about if it’s under 11 to not shoot so my first port of call is to just stop and wait. It will be ok to wait right? I’m feeling weirded out by this and I hadn’t really read up a whole lot on this scenario yet as I wasn’t expecting this so soon at all!!

She has eaten because I gave her her breakfast as the glucometer counted down as her reward for letting me do it.
    She last ate about three hours ago when I got up in the night and fed her too, though I didn’t wait to see if she finished it so it is possible she grazed on leftovers since then too I guess. Would having grazed on some food more recently have changed her levels that much now?

Either way, I will now go reading up on what happens next. And omg I’m feeling sooooo relieved that I test her! Despite what the damn vet said! Ahhh!!!

Amy & Jazz

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

No shot for sure! It's always wise to get a second test immediately when you get a surprise like this so kudos to you for doing that. Try to get new strips ASAP though because you really need to be confident of the numbers you see. And - imagine if you hadn't tested ... :eek:

Skipping insulin isn't ideal after a DKA but that's far too low a BG for you to dose on so early in the game. Test her again in a few hours and definitely before evening shot time. Withhold all food for two hours before that PS test so we have a proper BG number to use for dosing decisions.

PussCatPrince - GA likes this.
  3. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

That is correct, you need to skip this shot. Great job on catching it and for learning to home test quickly.

4. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

Ok, so she’s just finishing off her leftover breakfast now, I will lift that and withhold for a couple of hours and test her again.

I have ordered some new strips just now because the fact they’re out of date is making me worried it’s not right, though they do seem to be reading accurately. But regardless that is a huge difference from yesterday. And I tested from the other ear the second time too.

I’m feeling so emotional about it all right now. Relieved that I tested!! Pissed off at my vet for brushing off and even advising against home testing when I asked about it. Worried that I am doing the right thing. Confused and curious and just thrown out. Lol.

Ahh these kitties!

5. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

Ok, I withheld her food for a solid two hours and tested again and it was 6.1 still! I have new strips on order but I’m considering calling up my vet and getting them to do a test too? Then we can KNOW if my strips are saying anything accurate and feel more confident in continuing home testing with my current strips. She’s eating or asking to eat pretty much hourly right now, which is great for just after the DKA. I’m adding water to the pate too so she’s getting plenty of liquid. Her voice has come back a lot more today; meowing about everything like she used to!

Barbara & Uncle (GA) likes this.
  6. Kris & Teasel

Isn't that interesting! You could take her to the vet for a test or if they have a "clinic cat" (needn't be a diabetic) you could go there with your meter and do a side by side test on that kitty to do a comparison with their meter.

Is it possible to buy some strips for your meter in a human pharmacy for now even if they might not be as cheap as where you've ordered from?

7. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

You don’t need to hold off on the food for testing during the cycle only for the two hours PRESHOT.
    Well done this morning catching the low number. That’s great!

8. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

Oh yes they do have a clinic cat, that’s such a good idea! I might suggest that one to them!!
    I might be able to get strips locally, I will have a look. We are on a very tight budget though so it is possible I cannot afford to get them still, especially ordering some already! Another idea I had was to make a doctors appointment for MYSELF and ask for more strips on prescription... hmm

9. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

Yes I know I don’t need to withhold during the day, I was just feeling like I needed reassurance that food was definitely not a factor in her AMPS. And as she still hasn’t had any insulin since last night, I figured doing a definitive withhold for a couple of hours would give a definitive number. Which it did; of pretty much the same as earlier! Haha.

I am soooooo grateful for all of you guys and your help! I’d have one very sick kitty right now otherwise.

10. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

It is now +5 from the time of her AMPS, though there was no shot then, and her BGL is still at 6.5 !!! She is acting fine, talking lots, eating lots, washing and purring and sunbathing (it’s summer here!) and all the normal kitty stuff. She is still not 100% herself but she’s so much better than she was.

11. Bron and Sheba (GA)

That’s a great idea to get more strips for yourself!
    Jazz is looking good!

flyingduster likes this.
  12. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

And now it’s jumped way up again! I’m at 8.5+ now. So weird. She’s just eaten a little so I might test again in another hour and see what influence that has had. This is all so intriguing and slightly confusing. But we will carry on.

If she has a high level in another hour, should I perhaps do her evening insulin then seeing she will have had absolutely NO insulin for 22.5 hours by then? I can do her morning one within 12.5 hours of then still to bring it back up to a good time. Or should I just wait until the full 24 hours since her last insulin??

13. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Jazz has shot up because she hasn’t had insulin.
    Because you didn’t give insulin last time, you can give it earlier if you want to change the times to an earlier time. So what are the times you would like to stick to on a regular basis?
    If you give it in an hour you would need to give it 12 hours after that. Does that suit?

You will need to test frequently to see she doesn’t drop too low during the cycle. Can you do that?

14. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

Yeah so I would rather it was at more like 7/7 but if I give it early it’ll be more like 6/6.
    I can test frequently up until about 10pm tonight but then I really need bed. I could do another test or two in the night as I do wake, but it wouldn’t be regular.

So I should just leave it to keep spiking up until 7? Or should I do it early at 6 and then have more hours of checking on her before bed and just deal with having to do 6/6 for a while before trying to slowly move it out again???

15. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I would do 6pm then you can change the time 15 minutes each cycle to get to desired time. If you can test a couple of times during the night that would be good. Cats often drop lower at night.
    Keep SS up to date and I’ll keep an eye on it. It’s only 3 pm here.

flyingduster likes this.
  16. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

Thank you! I will do.

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  17. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

I missed the first hour because 6-8pm is just chaos of kids dinner and baths and bed. But that’s ok cos the first hour is probably not a big worry. It’s now that we are at 3+ to see if it keeps going down fast or begins to rise again. I am going to head to bed soon because I have had horrible allergies today making life miserable. I will get up to do another quick reading at 10 though and from there I will assess if I want to set my alarm to do another at 11 or not: If it’s still dropping fast then I might. If it’s steadying or rising then I will leave it and just do another random one overnight whenever it is that I get up. Does that sound reasonable??

18. Bron and Sheba (GA)

She is certainly dropping fast so I would keep testing until she starts to head back up if you can.
    Dropping that fast will probably cause a bounce which means her body releases hormones and glucose into her system pushing up the BSL into high numbers. These bounces can last from one to six cycles.
    If you feed during the drop it can help slow down the speed of the drop and help prevent bounces.
    If you swapped over to Glargine the insulin is not so harsh and mostly the curves are more gentle and longer lasting.
    You are doing s good job juggling kids, baths and kitty:)
    I hope you feel better soon

19. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

It’s just after 10pm now (+4) and it’s going back up again already. Same as the curve I did yesterday that had nadir at only three hours. So for now I will go to bed properly and rest in the night when I get up as I no doubt will.

20. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Can you leave some food out for her to eat if she does drop more?
    The Vetsulin does have a very short duration for her by the look of things.

21. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

Yes she has food out

22. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

It’s 3:30am. +9.5.
    My sinuses are keeping me awake so I’m up with Jazz. Tested her, and fed her again. Her BGL are well on the rise again. I have no idea what was happening with her BGL yesterday morning??? But it was obviously short lived anyway. I wonder if the flavour of pate she had was a factor?? Would that make SUCH a difference as that though?

I’m sitting up with her to then take the remaining food away once she’s finished to ensure she has a good couple of hours withheld before her 6am test again.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  23. sherrib

sherrib Well-Known Member

Only thing about taking to the vet to test, she will be stressed and that will raise her BG #’s

flyingduster likes this.
  24. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

And now we have the AMPS which was no higher than her +9.5 earlier which is good. I’m glad it’s not just going up and up after the insulin wears off! So I feel as though we are moving towards more control even though it’s still too high.

I am compiling an email to my vet about home testing and continuing it and changing her insulin.

25. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

Yeah I realise that, that was yesterday’s idea and the vet never called me back until evening anyway so I don’t really care now. Lol. I am currently compiling an email to them to move forwards.

sherrib likes this.
  26. sherrib

I didn’t read all the comments after this one.
    I wanted to tell you that I got my cat into remission in less then 2 months after we found out he had diabetes . Sounds like your baby’s pancreas has starting “ working “. Sometimes the pancreas just needs a little rest and then it starts up working again. It’s so confusing.

flyingduster likes this.
  27. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

I thought I would just give her a break from really constant testing today as I don’t want her getting headshy over it all! But then I test now at +5 and it’s way down from 23.3 AMPS to 9.3!!?? She hasn’t eaten in quite a while and I tested her when she came in to eat so maybe that is why. But still a huge drop again. It’s so confusing.

I have emailed my vet about it all and I hope that she will be on board with working with me more. I do think maybe a different insulin will be better and help her keep stable much more. She clearly can come down well, it’s just the staying down!

28. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

And lower still another couple of hours later! Does anyone have any idea what’s going on?? Why is her insulin seeming to be working on a fast and hard sorta cycle for a few shots and then suddenly seem to be slowing down and gradually bringing it down??

We will see what the next few hours bring I guess. It’s just really confusing to me still.

29. sherrib

sounds like her pancreas is kicking off & on

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  30. Kris & Teasel

Until you get a supply of fresh test strips I'm reluctant to speculate on what's happening. It's still possible that the strips aren't giving reliable readings.

sherrib and PussCatPrince - GA like this.
  31. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

CareSens is NZ Pharmac funded. Strips for a person with a prescription would be around NZD $11 box 50. Buy online within NZ about NZD $14 I think. I would imagine most pharmacies would have supplies but might be puzzled at buying without a prescription. :cat:

32. PussCatPrince - GA

Remembering that there was a sudden change of carb intake perhaps.
    A bounce could well be happening but as Kris states unless it is known the strips and readings are sound it is hard to be sure.

33. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

NEW STRIPS ARRIVED just now!! Literally as I was typing out a reply there was a knock from the courier! Lol.

It’s only 20 mins since her +7 reading of 7.2, and on the new strip just opened up I got 7.8...

So basically yeah they seem to be reading true. I can’t be sure the HIGH readings were accurate except that the last tests the vet did matched the first high ones I got at home...

34. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

Still going down. +9 (and a bit) is 6.6! At this rate she won’t get her PM shot unless it suddenly goes up.

Yes I’m using the new strips.

She’s eating now so will close it up soon cos it’s nearly actually +9.5

35. Bron and Sheba (GA)

@Kris & Teasel
    What do you think of a lower dose of insulin so she can shoot both AM and PM shots?
    I know we have to factor DKA in here as well..

36. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

PMPS is 5.5 (99)!!! No insulin tonight!!!

37. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

An hour after both food and her PMPS (with no shot) it’s 6.0, so up a weeeee bit, but not massive.

38. sherrib

I’m reading along

39. PussCatPrince - GA

6.4 +2 PMBG

flyingduster likes this.
  40. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

She ate at the PMPS BG, and ate again just now at +2. It has gone up somewhat again as M just posted. Not massive but going upwards. But still too low to do a late shot so now I will be watching her all night long and probably watch her levels zoom back up by morning.

It doesn’t seem to be a “bounce” as I understand what bounces are, cos those send them high normally don’t they? She reacted fast and hard to the insulin on several days and then long and slow other times!!!

She’s currently curled up purring on my lap though, she is a lot healthier than she was this time last Friday when she was in DKA in the vets on a drip. So for now, I will snuggle my kitty and see what the night brings us.

41. PussCatPrince - GA

I am wondering this also now.

A bounce is both up and down. High up. High down.

There has been a change of food very quickly and the intro of insulin. Her body is maybe on a roller coaster right now. We need some cycles to know the length and readings.

Can you get a + 4 or so? Helps fill in the greater picture. Also maybe a + 10 or so. That is two hours before the normal shot time.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  42. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

I just did a +3 and it’s going up faster now. I will try get more tests through the night to add to the picture but I basically expect it’ll keep going up now as there has been no insulin since 15 hours ago. *shrug*

43. Bron and Sheba (GA)

It’s really important to give insulin when DKA is in the picture so I would ask vet about swapping to glargine as it has a slower onset.
    Also you will probably need to reduce the dose so you can shoot both times ....AMPS and PMPS@Kris & Teasel Kris knows more about Vetsulin.. I haven’t used that insulin.

44. PussCatPrince - GA

I concur but I used lanctus.

45. PussCatPrince - GA

@Bron and Sheba
    I have to get some kip now. We are keeping very very silly oclock here ATM even tho it is just 10.30pm in NZ

46. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Lantus and glargine are the same insulin. @PussCatPrince - GA

47. Kris & Teasel

It's worth trying 1 u both AM and PM, numbers permitting I think. Yes, it's best to avoid skipping a dose with a very recent DKA in the picture. If the 1 u dose is too low it can be increased after 3 or 4 cycles.

48. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

I feel nervous changing the dose!!! But this morning she is back up at 24.3. I didn’t get any overnight readings.

49. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

Ok so I dropped it to 1U. I feel ok to drop it because more can be done in time but I can unshoot it!! It’s also no real risk of hypo and HOPEFULLY means it keeps her more stable. Ahhh we will see.

50. Kris & Teasel

He'll be fine. Try to get at least one test between +4 and +6 if you can. He should be at his lowest somewhere in there.

51. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

Yeah she will be fine I know, I’m just so new to it all it feels scary to change things up. But I know she will be fine. It has come down since small jump just now (a bit over +1) and she ate heaps too, for her, and is back for more food now so that makes me feel better her appetite is going strong now. She’s not ravenous, so I’m not worried there. Just eating really well finally.

52. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

I will be out for a wee bit over the next couple of hours but will be back by the time her +4 is due so can do that. I will update then.

53. Kris & Teasel

That'll be fine. :)

54. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

I was able to get home a bit earlier so have got a +3 in. It’s nicely down from the AMPS so let’s see what the rest of the day brings. If she follows the same pattern as she had before, her +4 will be higher and she will have already hit nadir and need her PM shot. But it is what will happen after then, on the reduced shot, that will be telling. Two shots in a row before was then sending her to a consistent low level, so it’ll be really interesting what it does on a slightly lower dose!

55. Kris & Teasel

Today's numbers are likely higher from rebound after dropping low yesterday. I'd keep that 1 u dose tonight and tomorrow to see if she settles.

56. PussCatPrince - GA

My bad use of English. @Bron and Sheba I meant I used lanctus not caninsulin so not familiar with caninsulin dosing etc.

It is nerve racking to start with @flyingduster but you're doing just fine.

Kris and the others know this stuff inside out and upside down over years. I just have 10 months but still know reasonably.

Everyone will be here.

57. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

Yay! It’s still going down. Nicely, not in a big drop like it did at 1.5U. Just reducing down gently still even at +4! It hit nadir at +3 the last couple of times so I’m so happy it’s hitting in slower this time. Yeah it’s still a high reading but I am happy it isn’t a big drop like it was as that surely can’t have been a good thing and probably was causing the bouncing?

58. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

Yellow! Wow, it’s still going down! Woohoo! A longer slower hit is so much better. It was quite a drop this time but it was also over an hour cos I have been sorting lunch and forgot to get it done right on 12:30! *oops*

She’s eating well, I add water to the food too so I know she’s getting lots of moisture. And she even trotted up to me this afternoon; I realise I haven’t seen her get faster than a walk for a while now so the trotting was lovely to see!

59. Kris & Teasel

Now that's a nice slow drop.

60. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

Check it out now!!! Four yellows in a row as it levels off around the nadir!!! I’m so happy. Yeah yellow is still higher than I want her levelling off at, but level at yellow has GOT to be better than bouncing from green to red!!??

I’m hoping it stays sorta around this state and allows for another dose this evening, and from there it will potentially bring her down to a really nice level overnight without it being a big bounce.

61. Bron and Sheba (GA)

That is a much better cycle! And longer duration..
    I can see you are 'getting' what all this is about! You are doing a great job!

62. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

Lol, I was just looking at the clock and my chart and trying to figure out why my timing was off, and I realise what I *thought* was +3 was me just putting it in there without actually checking because I’d been out. It was actually done at +4, so all my readings needed to move along one spot in the chart! Duh!

But anyway, now I just did the +10 and it’s still going down!!!!??? Now I am worried about giving her an evening shot. Argh! Hopefully in the next two hours it’ll rise up again, even if just by a little bit, so I know it has stopped going down.....

63. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

+11 has it even lower. Which is great it has come down. But now it looks VERY unlikely she will be high enough to dose tonight. I will keep tracking and see how it goes I guess. Sigh

64. Bron and Sheba (GA)

It's looking like you might have to skip, but wait and see what +12 is..
    See what @Kris & Teasel says but you might need to drop the dose down to 0.75 unit (3/4 unit) each dose to be able to shoot both AMPS and PMPS..

65. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

I cannot do 0.75 yet as I don’t have syringes yet. It has to be half measures for now.

I’m pushing her +12 out by a wee bit in the hopes it might possibly be higher again... I don’t mind if her dose time has to move out later, it has come in earlier than I’d like it to be ideally due to all the weird things her BGL are doing!

66. Bron and Sheba (GA)

What time were you thinking of testing for the PMPS?

67. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

I just did it now (12.5 hours since her AM shot) and it’s lower still. Down to 8.7 now.

Like, it has done a lovely sloooooow drop this time so we are on to something, but for being a supposedly fast acting insulin it seems to keep bringing her down for a long time! Lol.

I will keep monitoring her through the evening, it’s only 7pm so can do another couple of tests before I go to bed, and I can get up and do another before I go to sleep too.

I’m curious as to when it will stop going down and head back up again!!

68. Bron and Sheba (GA)

So for AMPS tomorrow morning I think you will need to drop the dose again to be able to shoot each 12 hours. It is a shame you don't have any syringes yet to be able to do 0.75 units.
    How is Jazz eating now?
    Did your Ketostix arrive yet?
    If you changed over to glargine (Lantus) you would be able to shoot a lower number sooner as the onset is not as quick as the fast acting insulins.

69. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

The ketostix haven’t arrived but Jazz is eating at least one can of friskies a day it seems (the 156g/5.5oz ones).

Just did another test and it’s almost the same as an hour ago so it might be steadying now?

With any luck because it’s been such a slow drop it might be a slow rise too and she won’t be too high by morning and dropping to a half unit will just top it off nicely.... I know it would be better to refine by quarter units though, and that lantus would probably be better too, but I’m working with what I have for now.

70. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Yes you are doing a great job with what you have.. I just hesitate to suggest dropping the dose only because of the DKA but it is really important to be giving the insulin twice a day not once, so I think as long as she is eating well and seems ok it should be ok to drop backto 0.5 units.

71. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

Yeah it’s a bit of a rock and a hard place right! Drop by a whole half a unit and risk it just not being enough or keep it up at this level and only be able to do once a day! Ugh. It’s a tricky balance. I would be happier to do 0.75 too. I’ll be seeking syringes next week!!! And also talking to my vet about lantus.

72. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

Another test and it’s similar but slightly lower still. I’m just going to go to bed. It’s not dropping lots, she still has a decent buffer and she hasn’t had any insulin for over 15 hours now so I’m not worried about a hypo. She has food out. I’ll try test in the night too if I get the chance otherwise we will see what the morning brings!

Thank you all!!! I appreciate all of this support so much!!!

Amy & Jazz

73. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Ok. See you tomorrow.

74. Kris & Teasel

That was an interesting run of blue! I'd try 0.5 u today because some insulin AM and PM is better than missing a shot. :)

75. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

That WAS an interesting run wasn’t it! Nice line of yellow and then blue. But now it’s 3am she’s bounced back up to red of course. Poor kitty. She’s having a feed now so I’m waiting until she’s finished then will put the lid back on it to get a fasting number for the AMPS. I realised I never did withhold food for her PMPS yesterday but I guess with the trend she was having it didn’t matter anyway! Let’s see what another few hours does and then what 0.5u does.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  76. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

So here we go! AMPS was high, she was quite hungry and demanding food as it had been more like 3 hours since she’d eaten. She has eaten a heap.

I gave her a half unit of insulin.

I have a few hours where I can track her but then I’m going to be out until about her +7 or +8 sorta time. So it will be hard to track if she hits a nadir in that time and is coming back up, but we will see anyway.

I sorta feel hopeful though, that despite the bouncing, her pancreas might be trying real hard too? Cos if caninsulin is known to only last up to 12 hours and yet her levels still dropped beyond 15 hours then just maaaaybe her pancreas is working in there too. And if we can get her on a more stable level then her pancreas can help keep it there too. I dunno, we will see.

77. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

I was able to stop at home and her levels are sitting high but not as high as AMPS, so I’m ok with it. I won’t be home again until closer to her PM shot so it will be interesting to see how it is then.

78. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

Yay, a high enough level to shoot tonight! Lol. I’m not sure if that should be celebrated to have a high level, but hey, I’m going to celebrate whatever I can!

So it was 22.7, which is a red number but a low red. It’s lower than her AMPS too so hopefully it might just level out more with this lower dose. Let’s see what the evening and morning brings for her and with any luck her AMPS tomorrow will be even lower, but still at a “shootable” level. I’m working tomorrow so won’t be home at all to test during the day.

79. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Yes she is running higher, but at least you can shoot tonight..
    How is Jazz? Still eating Ok and bright?

80. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

Yep, loud and purring and eating ok still; a whole can a day mostly.
    It is still sitting high in the pinks and dropped a little then came up a little so who knows what it’s doing!?? I will go to bed soon but will get up to do another test and see which way it’s going.

I have been exploring the likes of the dosage rulers for use with syringes that I can get much easier here rather than trying to source the half measure syringes from halfway around the world. So might get a case of syringes ordered next week to be able to do finer adjustments and 1/4 unit increments.

81. Kris & Teasel

I think those pinks and reds are inflated numbers fro rebound after the blues. I'd give 0.5 u again AM and PM.

Re dosage rulers for syringes: they can vary from brand to brand. If you can only find syringes with whole unit marks you can make a set of reference syringes using coloured water. Make up one with your best estimate of what 0.25 of a unit looks like. Make a second syringe for the 0.5 u fraction and a third for 0.75 u. Keep these coloured water reference syringes as your guide when you're eyeballing these fractions for insulin.

82. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

Yeah I was looking at dosage rulers for the brand of syringe I can get, but the idea of reference syringes is good too!

She got 0.5 again this morning. I am happier giving her a low dose consistently and able to give it twice a day, for a while than having those big bounces and being so unknown. She’s in the red again this morning and I didn’t test her at all overnight. I also can’t be sure when she last ate, however her bowl was clean and she was demanding food as if it had been a while too! Lol.

I’m working today so can get a couple of follow ups but then will be away all day. My hubby will be home so he could potentially try testing her but I’m not too worried about it today. I’ll be home tonight and all day tomorrow.

83. Bron and Sheba (GA)

That a big drop from AMPS to +2. I’d try and get another test in before you go. If it’s still dropping see if your hubby can get a couple of tests in.
    He can give food to help slow the drop if needed

84. PussCatPrince - GA

I did say I would send you some to tide you over. However I need a mailing address for that.
    Yup. Unfortunately the demi's have to come from overseas which is a pain in the bum but not more or less hard than buying stuff online within NZ to be honest. They arrive quickly once ordered and paid for.

85. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

That +2 was right as I was about to leave and the latest I could leave it! She had food in her bowl still and hubby has been told to feed her whenever she’s hungry too.

86. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

I’ve sent you a message with my address! Thank you so much.

87. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

Oh man, I totally missed an hour somehow and didn’t get the PMPS and her PM shot in until 13 hours after the AM one. Oops!!! Ugh. Thankfully the new time IS actually the time I had wanted to move it to, I was just going to do it far more gradually!!! This is why I wanted to move it, because around 6-7 is just a busy time of the evening with three young kids!!! So now it’s 7:30, and I can do 7:30am easily too so it’ll be fine.

On the plus side, her levels only row by 0.3 in three hours (not two, as the chart shows...) so that’s not a big swing anywhere really.

I’m home tomorrow so will do more tests through the day and get a better picture of what the reduced dose is doing for her.

88. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

Interesting find this morning. Due to accidentally moving her shot time to a later time, when I got up this morning I was able to give her some breakfast and test her nearly two hours before her AM shot was due. It was a high 29! I gave her breakfast, then covered it up once she was done.

Now, it was then about 1 hour and 45-50 mins later that I tested her for her AMPS, so not *quite* two hours fasting, but that was just the timing we had. Her levels have dropped to 26.8.... that’s a good sign right? That less than two hours after food her levels have dropped? Especially with the shorter acting caninsulin?

Anyway, have done her AM shot of a half unit again and I am home today so will track her more.

89. Kris & Teasel

Time to eyeball a dose of 0.75 u for tomorrow AM. Try to get a test in the +4 to +6 range if you can.

90. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

Can’t do a quarter unit difference yet! Might be another week before I can get syringes sent here.

I will get tests today and see how she is going, she’s nearly ready for the +2 now.

91. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

+2 (about 15 mins after eating) is still high. Will see what +4 brings.

92. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

Oh! And you know what I just remembered. The syringes (that I don’t have yet) are of course going to be for U100, and caninsulin of course is U40, which actually makes small doses in the U100syringes quite easy as I only have to eyeball to a half unit rather than a quarter. It will mean my dosages will be 0.6 and 0.8 rather than 0.5 or 0.75 but if I’m very consistent then that will be fine, right?

I will just get some local syringes that don’t have half measures because then they should be here sooner. And because I cannot afford a lot at once right now so cannot bulk buy to save shipping costs!

93. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

Syringes (without half measures) have been ordered and paid for. They should arrive this week.
    Ketostix will hopefully be here this week too.
    Later in the week when my pay comes through I will order more testing strips too as I only ordered the one box last week and I can see I’ll need plenty more. Haha.

Slightly worried about Jazz today. Her levels are still high. She’s a bit quieter than usual again too. But I’m not too worried yet because she is still eating well; almost finished a whole can already today and it’s not even midday. I’m also adding plenty of water to it, especially as it’s very hot here today. I’m not sure if she’s just feeling hot and that’s affecting the levels and her mood? Or if the levels being high are the culprit. I will keep close tabs on her regardless.

94. Bron and Sheba (GA)

When will the Ketostix arrive.?
    We really need to see if she has any ketones in her urine as soon as we can.

95. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

I don’t know. I hoped they’d be here yesterday. Maybe today? I am still not sure how well I’ll be able to collect her urine yet either as she can really only be locked in overnight. I hope she will pee in the litter tray and not just hold on...

96. Bron and Sheba (GA)

She does need an increase in insulin looking at the SS.
    With the urine collection can you shut her in the bathroom with the LB during the day? Maybe put some plastic over the litter to collect some urine.

97. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

Ugh. Today’s numbers are just not good. All red and rising now. So frustrating and worrying!! She did perk up more outwardly about a half hour ago; ate and talked to me, had a wash and a roll around in the dirt. She’s gone back off to her bed now where I did her +8.

The syringes are on the courier now so with any luck they’ll arrive tomorrow, but it might be the day after. I’m worried about keeping her on a low dose for more days if she keeps up this high but what else can I do?

98. Bron and Sheba (GA)

@Kris & Teasel what do you think about the dose?
    If Amy had some higher carb food to feed Jazz throughout the cycle and could test frequently, what do you think about raising the dose to 1 unit bd until the syringes arrive?.
    I am concerned about ketones developing again

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  99. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Amy would the vet give you a couple of syringes to tide you over until yours arrive? They should have some insulin syringes.

100. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

My vet said they didn’t have any syringes on hand and would have to order some in too.

I am worried about upping it again and all this flip flopping causing issues too. Ugh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.