June 6 Felix AMPS=79, +2=45, +3=44, +3.5=56, +4.5=58, +7=97, PMPS=157; dosing tweaks?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Susan&Felix(GA), Jun 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Susan&Felix(GA)

Susan&Felix(GA) Well-Known Member

prior post June 2

I've lifted this quote from today's @Shawna & Davidson thread. I just took a reduction last night thinking also that three cycles under 50 was a criterion. Felix is under 50 again today, but maybe that's the depot.

Should I have kept him at 3.75u?

Would a skinny 3.75u have been a more appropriate reduction than 3.5u?

Should I have not given him a drop of honey when I saw the high 40s to see if he'd go below 40? Or steering was good to intentionally keep him on the higher dose? (He will only eat one kind of canned food, so I use honey instead of higher carb cat food to steer; I intend to try potato flakes instead soon.)

Should I bump him back up tonight (depending how the rest of today goes; I'm writing this at about AM+3)? Or just see how the new dose goes?

It's hard to imagine Felix having "a week in normal numbers" any time soon since he's such a bouncy guy. In April, I experimented with adding carbs as soon as I'd catch a green to try to prevent him going lower, hoping to smooth out bounces. I quit because it didn't seem to be working, but I know I hadn't mastered the technique yet. Intensive feeding the curve is hard because he's not thrilled about canned food unless truly hungry.

He's been especially sociable the last week or so while mostly in greens and blues. That's exciting, because his pink days have often been his most cheerful and green days quieter.

By the way, he's had a drop of honey in a small amount of Wellness Core (8% carb) at +2 and +3. His daytime nadir tends to be later in the cycle, so I'm a little concerned, although he may very well commence the bounce up by then like on June 2.

Thanks @Wendy&Neko or others with advice on how I can finesse Felix's dosing.

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I think I’d drop to 3.5 since he dropped three times under 50. I always gave higher carbs when under 50 if a reduction had been earned. It’s dangerous in my opinion to let them get into the 30’s especially when a reduction has already been earned. I think you run a bigger risk of a bounce when in the 30’s so why let that happen. JMHO.

Susan&Felix(GA) likes this.
  3. Susan&Felix(GA)

Thanks, Elise! What you're saying is what I'm inclined to do. I just don't want to do something that makes him lose momentum from the past week or two.

He's now surfing without me steering. Hope he'll do that awhile before climbing out of the water (and climbing and climbing).

upload_2018-6-6_15-13-2.jpeg

4. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I agree with Elise. I'd keep the 3.5 unit dose. I hope Felix surfs a little higher.

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I wouldn't deliberately try to let him get to the 30's if you see a number in the 40's. I would instead try to prevent the drop below 50. What you are trying to do is maximize the amount of time in safe greens. As much as you c an with his food tastes. :cat:

6. Susan&Felix(GA)

Thanks, friends-of-Felix. So far, so good; he was only in a bouncette at PMPS--sure would be nice if that's as high as he goes. I stayed with the reduction to 3.5u tonight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.