Just diagnosed with diabetes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by kurikitty, Jan 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kurikitty

kurikitty Member

Hello all, I've read quite a bit on this forum, but I still have a few questions.

My vet prescribed glipizide for my cat and I've been reading that it's not that great for treating diabetes. My vet wants me to give it to him for 2 weeks and then bring him back to see if it has helped. I'm wondering if I should do as he says and then if it doesn't work, start insulin treatment, but if we wait, could it be too late to help him? Should I start looking into getting it for him now? The one I'm thinking of getting is the Lantus. If I go this method, what would be better, the pen or vials, and does anyone know of a good place to buy the syringes?

Also, my cat has been eating the Fancy Feast Chicken pate before this happened, but he seems to be allergic to chicken and beef, so I'm also wondering if there are any alternative foods he could be eating.

Thanks for any advice in advance!

2. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

I have never heard of a vet trying the glipizide for a cat. I know lots of people try it before going on insulin when they develop diabetes late in life.

If doing lantus I would do the pens. A box of 5 pens is 1500 dose which at 2 a day will last a long time. You can use the pens to the last drop when drawing with a syringe. If in the states, you can order from Marks Marine Pharmacy and it is cheaper. You will need a script to order. AWD online is good place. Walmart is another place to get the diabetic supplies you will need like a glucometer, ketone strips, syringes and lancets.

As for the food. Turkey is a good one in the FF. Any the pates should work if he likes the flavour. Check out catinfo.org there is a food list the Dr. Lisa has prepared with the carb % (ten or less is what you are looking for) and possible flavours.

3. JackieC

JackieC New Member

Please kurikitty read my Introduction JackieC.I joined today. We have been on the Glipizide/Minodiab route and our cat is now having problems.PLEASE read my post on new introductions. Was unsure on how to post at first so there are two posts from me today.Headed bloody stools.
    Hope all goes well for you and your cat.Please let me know. JACKIEC.

4. kurikitty

kurikitty Member

If living in the US, is it possible to buy from Marks? And what is AWD? Thanks.

5. Tracey&Jones (GA)

6. Tracey&Jones (GA)

7. kurikitty

kurikitty Member

You've been really helpful so far, thank you so much.

I ended up purchasing the Lantus on the Canadian site today, hope it gets here soon.

Now I'm looking at doing the blood tests at home, I was looking at the chart for the different glucose meters, and was wondering if the one on the top of the list is the best for even cats? http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...r-ratings-comparisons-recommendations.156388/

Thanks again!

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  8. Tracey&Jones (GA)

We use human meters here and the TR protocal and SLGS method is based upon using the human meter. It will read lower than your a meter meant for cats or what your vet will see on their BW results. That said, the lower the numbers the closer they get together. I found my average for Jones when in lower numbers always seemed to be in line with what the vet saw on BW and Jones wasn't prone to vet stress really.

So pick the one that you can get the strips in a hurry if you run out or need more in a low number event and burn through the ones you have! Make sure it is one that is within budget for the strips. You are going to go through 4 a day minimum...so 100 strips can go in 25 days with no extra testing or curves.

9. kurikitty

kurikitty Member

Ok, I think I'm going to go with the ReliOn Prime.

Im kind of worried now because the recommended temps for the Lantus shipment from Canada is 38-80 degrees and at night where I live it gets down to 30...do you think I should not get it then? They offer styrofoam packaging for additional cost, but Im not sure how much of a difference that would make. :/

10. Tracey&Jones (GA)

It should be ok. I am from Canada so I just went to Costco to get mine so I am not sure. I believe it comes wrapped up in bubble wrap. With the latest weather it is hard to say how cold things will get. Where are you at...just a general area.

Has it already been ordered?

11. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

It was 23 degrees the day my Lantus from Canada was out for delivery. If they put it in styrofoam and do signature required it should be fine. The signature required will keep the post office from leaving it outside in the cold. I did have to go pick mine up because I missed the delivery but at least it was kept inside. They will warn you of the risk of shipping in extreme cold but 30 degrees should be fine.

12. kurikitty

kurikitty Member

I've ordered it so hopefully it'll work out.

So the last few days my boyfriend and I have been trying to do a blood test on him, the first few days we couldn't get enough blood, but today we got bigger gauge needles and it worked a lot better, except we aren't really good at using the test strips themselves. I've seen people with ones that kind of vacuum up the blood and they use a ReliOn meter, but I can't find that specific one. Does anyone know what it is or is it just how it works when the blood is near the strip? Thanks.

13. Erin & Scott

Erin & Scott Member

I use the Relion Prime meter; it takes only a small drop of blood, like the size of a small bead. It seems to vacuum up the blood, through capillary action; I'm not so sure of the science behind it, but if I just hold the end of the stick (inserted into the meter) next to the drop of blood, it just sucks it up. It will take practice to get efficient, but in less than a month it has become a ho-hum routine for both of us, and all it takes is a tiny prick on the very tip of the ear. Benny is amazingly tolerant, we have a certain spot where we do the testing, and he sits still and waits for me to get the test, then he sits and waits for his reward: extra pets and the privilege of sitting on the kitchen counter. :D

kurikitty likes this.
  14. kurikitty

kurikitty Member

Ok, thank you so much! Maybe I'm just making it more complicated than it is. Oi.

15. Erin & Scott

Erin & Scott Member

No; no, you aren't. When you first have to do it, it's the most complicated thing you've had to do at this point. Sticking something sharp into your baby! Making him (her?) bleed. On purpose!! Then sticking another needle into him. It's so far from our typical idea of caring for a cat, and there's so much to learn. You'll get it, and sooner than you think - but when you first start, it is indeed intimidating!

16. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Erin & Scott are right, it is intimidating and you don't want to hurt someone you love. I have read that there are actually fewer nerve endings in those little ears so it isn't likely to hurt very much, and that mostly cats just don't like their ears messed with. It's probably more discomfort to poke yourself for a test. Poke in the 'sweet spot' to avoid hitting that vein, which will be uncomfortable. Conditioning with a reward every time, successful test or not, is the key. If you are nervous, Grey is going to pick up on that, so sing to him while you are testing. It helps calm you and keeps him calm. Be patient with and kind to yourself. This is unfamiliar territory, but soon you will be integrating all the aspects into your normal routine.
    Visit this link to home testing tips for a picture of the sweet spot plus additional information. http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/ You can do this!
    Please start posting in the Main Health forum with your questions or concerns, this forum is the welcome mat, and more members check the Main forum to help answer questions and offer support.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.