Looking for support/advice regarding Lantus dosage and BG that just won't go down :-(

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tahirah & Fidget, Jun 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tahirah & Fidget

Tahirah & Fidget New Member

Hello!

Fidget and I just made it through our 10th day together post-diagnosis and I am still learning and being an overly concerned cat-mum.

We did our first curve test on Sunday as per my vet's request, and I emailed her the results the next day. Right now he's one 1u of Lantus twice a day and eating FF mixed into his DM until he adjusts fully. I hadn't heard back from her since I sent my test info to her (aside from the vet tech thanking me and letting me know she forwarded it along), so after three days (today) I sent a follow up regarding his dosage and if it would be bumped up as his numbers are still quite high. Over the last two days especially he's back in the red and I'm just feeling really down. I don't feel comfortable upping his dosage on my own, because I don't know yet how much is too much for him. But until my vet gets back to me, I was hoping to get some support or advice that he'll be okay. The higher his BG goes the harder it is for him to walk with his back legs so I can usually tell when it's going to be in the red. It's breaking my heart not seeing any progress after the first week when he was dropping quite a bit.

Robert Vittetoe likes this.
  2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi.
    You are doing a great job testing and looking after Fidget. It is always overwhelming in the beginning. Hang in there. There is a lot of support and knowledge here.
    I would increase the dose to 1.25 units twice a day. We recommend going up in 0.25 unit increments.
    Have a look at the top of the Lantus page at the yellow stickies that have the 2 dosing methods. Start Low Go Slow (SLGS) and the Tight Regulation (TR). Choose the one that suits you best then pop that and your kitty’s name, date of diagnosis, type of insulin and meter, weight, any illnesses or medications and country you live in, into yours signature. To set it up go to the top of this page and click onto your used name. Click and choose signature. Write in information and save. This will appear at the bottom of all your posts and will help us help you.
    Try and get some more in between tests on other days and night. Getting before bed test is good and will tell you if your kitty might drop lower overnight.
    If you are only getting Preshots (which is great) and no inbetween shots we do not know if your kitty is dropping low then shooting up at shot time.
    Keep asking questions.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    Tahirah & Fidget likes this.
  3. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Seems like a dose increase is called for. The curve shows a 70 point drop at the right time. I would increase dose to 1 1/4 units.

5. Darwin H.

Darwin H. Member

There is great knowledge shared here. LESS is more when it comes to dosing it seems. With time and a little bit of courage comes the ability to deal with this ravaging disease. Good luck.

6. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Welcome!!

And congratulations on setting up the spreasheet and double congratulations on testing !!!

Given his numbers I totally agree with all the others that he does need a raise in his dose, but even though his numbers are high we do recommend to always increase the dose in 0.25 units increments because 1 unit is actually a lot of insulin for a cat so raising the dose in small increments allows you to have a better control over what's going on, avoid missing the right dose and keep him safe

In your case the dose would be 1.25 units every 12 hours, since you are using Lantus is important that you are consistent with his dose so you have to always give the same dose in the morning and at night

Tahirah & Fidget likes this.
  7. Tahirah & Fidget

Tahirah & Fidget New Member

Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond! I'll be sure to look at all of the links. The vet did get back to me this morning, but I'll post my follow up questions on the board specifically for Lantus. Thank you all again!!

Veronica & Babu-chiri likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.