Low PMPS of 106, stalling. Dose advice needed

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Rusty/Jen & Ernie, Aug 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rusty/Jen & Ernie

Rusty/Jen & Ernie Member

Originally posted in the main forum @ 6:00 pm
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/finally-had-a-small-victory.142400/

First of all, thank you everyone who has offered their advice, encouragement, etc. Even if you didn't know it, simply researching through the board has give me alot of knowledge & confidence.

So last night, we put the dry food away & left only wet food out. Ernie was pretty energetic this morning, & was eating as soon as we got out of bed together. I was planning to grab a preshot after he finished eating, then clean the bowls out & put fresh food down, but he was energetic enough that he wasn't in the mood to cooperate this morning! (Anyone else been there...LOL)

Here is where I went wrong, I gave him his dose without a pre-shot. My thought was that looking at his SS, you will see he has been hovering in the 400's at preshot. So, my mentality was that he needs the shot & I can't skip it because of not having a pre-shot. I know, WRONG ANSWER & lesson learned. The other reason I did, was I knew we were having a lazy day at home & would be with him literally all day. Through the day he stayed energetic, playing, cuddling, & even pouncing on his sisters a couple of times! I was not able to get any post-shot numbers either & after a couple of attempts, I decided I would leave him alone since I stuck him a fair amount yesterday & he was doing so good today. MISTAKE #2! We just chose to keep the wet food out all day & keep the dry food hidden.

However, we fast forward to 2 hours before dinner time & I put the bowls away. I grabbed a pre-shot & his is at 106! This is the lowest number we have seen since his DX. My wife & I both squeezed him, kissed him, & then gave him his dinner. I know at that number, he is too low to shoot. So, I will retest him in about an hour & see where that # is at then.

So, I learned, I will NOT shoot without knowing the pre-shot number. I also learned that it looks like wet food can seriously plummet a number. So, we are going to have to watch the dosing & may have to move down to 0.5 if his numbers call for it. Thank you to those who hammered the point him that wet food is the nectar of the feline gods!

2. Rusty/Jen & Ernie

Rusty/Jen & Ernie Member

Update @ 8:00 (what would have been +2)

So now, 2+ after his PMPS of 106, and eating a good dinner portion, as well as a few grazing nibbles, he is now at 146. With Vetsulin, I am still afraid to crash his number with any insulin. I am thinking about skipping the dose, even though that worries me too.

Thoughts?

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Don't shoot and see what happens by morning.

It isn't so much that wet food lowers the glucose as it is that dry food shoots it to the moon. Folks have reported anywhere from 100-300 mg/dL drop in glucose levels when removing the high carb dry food.
    Plus, vet stress can raise the glucose from 100-180 mg/dL.

You'll want to post in Feline Health as hardly anyone comes to this forum - I just routinely check all of them.

4. Rusty/Jen & Ernie

Rusty/Jen & Ernie Member

Thank you BJM & I did indeed cross post, with better success.

And you are correct, that wet doesn't lower the number, it just doesn't fatten a number like dry kibble does. I am happy to say that from this point forward, I believe we will are kibble free!

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Great on dropping the kibble.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.