Marcus seems fine, but 55 for bg and no insulin since Saturday?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Nicki & Marcus, Mar 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicki & Marcus

Nicki & Marcus Member

Marcus seems just fine. We tested, and it comes up 55, but he has had NO shot since Sunday morning--and this, being Tuesday night...well, it seems odd. We put sugar in his food--Friskies with gravy--and he's eating it no problem. He seems himself and has energy. Should we be concerned? Could we have made some error? Of course, our vet is closed now.

2. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

If he has had no insulin for that long, you do not need to be bringing his number up or giving high carb food. It looks like his pancreas might be working again. Let's see what others say, I'm going to look for your older threads.

3. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

4. Nicki & Marcus

Nicki & Marcus Member

Yes, Stacy,

We just started the testing. I have a brand new meter AlphaTrak, and I made sure that the code matches the vial for cats--which is 22 in my case.

He is probably getting a LOT less carbs than before.
    We rarely gave the cats Fancy Feast until the past week or so, but always gave them Friskies canned. Marcus and the other two usually had access to dry food, but LOVED the Friskies food we gave them. He usually got 1/2 a can twice a day--so about 3 oz each time. We gave them all varieties of Friskies wet before--not just the pate. In fact, since last week, they have not even had the Friskies pate--just Fancy Feast without gravy. We have since taken away the dry food totally and gone straight to the Fancy Feast. Tonight, I bought a box of Friskies pate cans.

I'm thinking Marcus looks great--he acts himself. He is presently cleaning his face beside me.

And, my vet did not tell us ANYTHING about testing or checking. I had asked how we would know if he was in remission, and the tech there told me that he'd act odd. I'm not sure I want him to get to that point. I feel better knowing when NOT to give him insulin.

5. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to Lantus & Levemir Land - the nicest place you never wanted to be.

Did the vet say what he/she thinks might have caused the diabetes? Sometimes we don't know, but sometimes it is caused by steroids or pancreatitis, etc. Ten years old is on the young side for FD, but not that much.

So if I am understanding correctly, you had been feeding different varieties of Friskies, as well as dry food, but recently switched to all canned, and then to Fancy Feast pate? It is not unheard of for a diet switch to bring the BG down to normal. Sounds like that is what happened here. It also sounds like your vet doesn't really know much about treating FD. Four units is way too much to start with. But no harm, no foul. Many vets don't talk about home testing, as it can be a challenge at first and many owners don't want to go to that much trouble. Obviously, you aren't one of those. Lucky for Marcus!

I would continue feeding just the low carb food, and continue to test twice a day, before feeding (ideally, don't feed for two hours before that test). If you get a number that is higher than 120, retest 2.5-3 hours after feeding. If that number is lower, his pancreas is definitely working. If this continues, we might just need to consider this a trial - Marcus might be in remission! Paws crossed!

Nicki & Marcus likes this.
  6. Nicki & Marcus

Nicki & Marcus Member

All paws are crossed for remission, Tricia! Yes--on the feeding, he was getting a mix of canned and dry--mostly Friskies for the canned, but any kind of it. Now he is on Fancy Feast pate and a few little Friskies pate. The dry choice is gone for him.

On Monday night, my daughter and I go to Las Vegas, a trip we had planned a few months ago and is all booked. My neighbor is watching the other 2 cats at home, but with this diagnosis, I had made plans for Marcus to stay at the vet's. Is there a chance that the stress of that stay (5 nights total) will put him back where he was? (well, assuming this trend continues and we have low readings.). I am worried about what is right for him.

7. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Steph & Quintus & L & O Well-Known Member

Keep on testing, but with a number like that 3 days after the last shot, either his pancreas decided to start working again, or the diet change was enough.

How was he diagnosed? Was a fructosamine test run? I've seen a bunch of "probably false diabetics" diagnosed on one measure of high blood glucose taken at the vet at some point.

Nicki & Marcus likes this.
  8. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Marcus is looking good. We consider it to be remission when we have 14 days without insulin, and still in good numbers. Paws crossed. :D

When he goes to the vet, do you have control over the food he'll get? Just worried the clinic might give him some higher carb food. Stress may raise the numbers, but he should come back down if his pancreas is working. Another option, if all your cats are eating the same low carb food, and he's still on green before you go, is to just leave him at home while you are gone. Save you a little money for the slots. ;)

Nicki & Marcus and MyTitan (GA) like this.
  9. Nicki & Marcus

Nicki & Marcus Member

I'm thinking about doing this and leaving him at home. I know he'd be less stressed. Let's see how he does the next few days, like you said. They ARE all eating the same low carb food now.

Thanks for all the support!!!

10. Nicki & Marcus

Nicki & Marcus Member

Why don't all vets at highly recommend getting a glucose monitor and doing home testing? I think our cat would be dead without it--we would have overdosed him on insulin, not knowing that his bg was as low as it was! (It was 55 one time PRE-shot!).

I talked yesterday to a friend who had a diabetic cat years ago and did what I did--just gave him a shot twice a day without testing--the cat went blind! He said it was awful and he eventually had to put him down. That could have been me!

I want to thank EVERYONE --again-- on this site for all that you are doing, not only to help me, but to help everyone who comes!

Marcus was at 70 tonight without insulin for almost a week. (Fancy Feast!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.