Mimi 1/3/20 AMPS 226 PMPS 124 got some questions

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Mimis mom, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Mimis mom

Mimis mom Well-Known Member

2. Mimis mom

“Kitties experiencing high flat curves or prone to ketones may want to increase the starting dose after 3 days (6 consecutive cycles).”

because Mimi’s been DKA should I be more aggressive with dose increases, and what would constitute a high flat curve? She’s often times in the 200s- are they talking more about 300 and 400s?

thanks!

@Wendy&Neko
    @Marje and Gracie

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

High flat curves means solid pink or above. Plus, your quote is about kitties starting insulin. You are well past that. I don't see any results from ketones tests on the spreadsheet. If you are worried about ketones, you should be testing for them regularly. If you are seeing ketones now, dosing suggestions will change.

Looks like a bounce today from wherever she got to. But I see nothing but high greens in the last 10 cycles. I think you have room for an increase.

4. Mimis mom

Just tested her ketones - got 0.3 (which I guess is ok- it’s when it’s over .6 you have to worry?)
    Man, those ketone strips are cranky as heck-
    I have the Nova Max ones and it’s so easy to screw it up. I’ve read reviews that others have had bad luck with them as well that the machine is extremely finicky. I think I wasted 4 strips just to get one that didn’t give me an error message, and that’s like 2$ a strip. You’d think for it being such an expensive machine it would be more user friendly!

so, the increase- I should do an entire .25? Then what if she drops below 50 again- and earns a reduction. It seems like there’s a pattern that’s happening I wonder if I should try skinny or fat doses l- instead of .25. I saw some members doing that on their SS. I do have a digital caliper.

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Mimis mom likes this.
  6. Mimis mom

Thanks Wendy!
    So if I was to “fatten a dose”. Right now it’s 1.98 on the caliper- would I bring it up somewhere between that and 1.75 dose?

7. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

You should have a dosing chart so you know what the changes in your dose would be in mm. For example, because on my syringes, 1u = 1.52 mm, I had a chart that showed what every dose was in mm from 0.1u to 1.5u in 0.1u increments. That way, if I needed to fatten or skinny a dose, I knew exactly what it would be.

I don’t really understand your question. If she’s on 1.5u and that is 1.98 mm, then only you would know what the mm reading would be if you fattened the dose to, say 1.6u.

8. Mimis mom

Oh- I don’t know I just measured 2.15 mm because 1.75 is 2.31 and it’s about halfway.
    These measurements change on different syringes? I’m currently using ultimate-care 31 g 3/10 cc 8mm but accidentally got ones without bald unit markings so I’ve just been measuring it with the caliper. Is that ok to do? Should I stick with the same syringe brand- will it effect the mm measurements on the calipers? I don’t remember where but I thought I saw it was doing that.
    the half unit syringes are the same as the full unit just have little markings on them right?

9. Marje and Gracie

You can’t figure it out that way on syringes when you are using calipers. Don’t estimate. Take the time to make a chart as I explained. Otherwise, you could mess up her dosing and under or over dose her depending on whether you are increasing or reducing the dose.

Yes, if you look at my post on Dosing with Calipers, you’ll see I have measurements for different syringes because the barrel diameters can differ. I would assume the ones that just have unit markings of the same brand and exact same type are the same as the ones with half-unit markings in relation to barrel diameter. If you change syringe type (e.g. Ultimate Care to BD), you’ll need to refigure your caliper measurements.

10. Mimis mom

wait I’m confused- I can’t figure what out that way in on syringes with a caliper... I guess if I’ve been using the same syringes- whatever dosing I’m doing as long as it’s matching up with the calipers (meaning same dose every time)

The syringes I have don’t have 1/2 unit markings.

dangit why Am I now freaking out over this... so if one brand says the exact same thing as the other brand, 3/10, it’s not all the same?? How is that possible though.

11. Mimis mom

where is there a chart again? The one I use based on my numbers, which syringes am I calibrating it to?. I screen shot a page, I thought it was universal.

Sh*t, I think the caliper conversion I am using is for Relion... I stopped using those because the barrel pulled too many bubbles, and it always "stuck" a little around the 1-2 unit mark which is where I needed it to keep "gliding" I think its just a cheaply made syringe..
    the UltiCare seem to be better quality.
    I just looked on ADW supplies and they don't make the syringe I have in 1/2 unit markings- at least they don't have it.. I found Monoject and Sure (something)

12. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

UltiCare does make a syringe with half unit markings, but if you plan on using calipers, you totally ignore the lines on the syringes anyway (once you know how many mm is in 1U)

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  13. Mimis mom

Do you know where I can find the mm conversion chart for Ulticare?

14. Marje and Gracie

There is not one. You have to do it yourself using the instructions on the Dosing with Calipers post.

Every syringe brand is different. BDs do not measure the same as Ulticares or Carepoint or Monojects. If you look at the post referenced above, you’ll see that I have the references for ones where people have measured already (which saves new members time if they use one of those syringe types). Just because it is U100, 0.3cc does not mean the barrel size is the same and so the mm for 1u are going to be different.

Pick a syringe. Get the measurements. Stick with it.

15. Mimis mom

I’m working on picking a syringe. Relion was the easiest to get and when I attempted to try and just change the brand at the pharmacy they said I needed an entirely new prescription..:banghead:
    I don’t know if I will stick with Ulticare because they don’t have the 1/2 unit marking syringes on the ADW site, and I preferred to stay with them and not make it too complicated.

So there’s an equation for the Ulticare syringe conversion?