Mocha the kidney diabetes battle

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Mocha aka Cold Play, Feb 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mocha aka Cold Play

Mocha aka Cold Play Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/2-18-mocha-pmps-hi-1am-hi-yowling.152905/#post-1609219

Thanks more than words for all the support here. Not much "here" or via extended family that even question the insulin....I was questioned by dh WHY do I have Mocha's "stuff" in the living area? Well, that is because it is best accessible to her and she is no longer eating where she used to. [I have water, small kibble and wet food. No litter box. ] Can not believe it. No support.

But, yesterday was her best rally day after the vet. Ate/drank, even the 3% carb web. Won't eat the old wet 2% but whatever. She still is in some kibble and hopefully as stomach settles can pull it. Got the Zofran in it smashed just now, skipped the shot today.

She was good w/ fluid yesterday, not today, probably b/c she was feeling really good from the fluid and until we went in today. Face rubs, purrs, sitting in more common places than hiding in her box.

Took her by the old house. A little dicey, home showing @ 10:30 arrive @ 10:30, wait 10 minutes think they must have come early. Take her in the yard on a leash and carry the carrier we were there 30 minutes and I suspected someone. I thought no biggee go to the car and wait well the MAN wants to see his yard before they come in and he HAS to come to the side I am hiding to leave. Geesh! So, he scared me and I was holding Mocha so no biggee but I apologized and pretended to go in the fence next door, (who has no dog!) and the realtor stared @ me. We waited 30 minutes for them to go and spent another hour. She loves that place out and in. She cried to go in so I let her run around. Did not want to leave, sat outside again. It is sad really that the move probably disrupted her more than any vet said it would. It makes me happy we can go back while the weather is amazing (high 50's) but sad to remove her frankly. That 30 minutes in the car, she used my plastic litter bag and was great to investigate and never cry. Most cats go bonkers!

I asked for testing urinalysis and I get the sample. He gave me 2 syringes. I ask, Does that give more precise kidney function? He says no, just more other information. I will take some in Monday for him to test and she gets fluid tomorrow aft (remember me saying he will open for me and no extra.....here he does again).

That is not correct is it?

Oh, the fluid today was painful and she bolted. I need to eat and my nerves are still horrible. So, I just pray for a great day today....living in today. She was rubbing my leg while she was in the yard and my face. Sweetheart saying thankyou I am sure.

She finished her lunch and I have opened the balcony for the screen breeze and there she sits. I think she misses home.....She loved our back yard and front porch, where she & I sat every night (never let her loose) and she would relax and cuddle with me on a chair watching the sunset. Yep miss it. Hubby would never care to watch them, so she & I did until the snow and cold came each year.

The other smile for me was when she got hold a piece of crumbled paper (her favorite toy) this am and she put her nose to it and raises her back to be petted. Keep showing me Mocha....I am listening/watching/loving.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
    Sparkle likes this.
  2. sarahtee

sarahtee Member

Many vines that things continue to improve for Mocha, Kari, and hope you are doing OK too.

Mocha aka Cold Play likes this.
  3. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

The urinalysis (UA) will tell you what her urine specific gravity (USG) is. The first urine sample of the day in a healthy cat not receiving fluids in the 24 hours before, should read upwards of 1.040. However, we don’t really start worrying about the cat not concentrating their urine until it is below 1.030. Often, the USG will be the first indicator that there could potentially be a kidney issue because it will indicate more dilute urine before the creatinine rises. Once daily fluids start, the USG is not much help in telling whether the kidneys are concentrating the urine or not. Just be sure that you try and catch the first sample of the day and hopefully it won’t be too impacted by the fluids she is getting tomorrow.

The other really important part of the UA is whether she has protein in her urine. If she does, having the vet run a urine protein:creatinine ratio is important because that will help give you some info on kidney function. A few of my cats, including Gracie occasionally, would have a little protein in their urine so I’d have the P:C ratio done and it was always normal....even in my CKD cats.

So he’s not totally correct but...we already know that she has CKD. The labs show it.

Sending more vines for her today.

4. Mocha aka Cold Play

With the fluids @ 4pm Sun and the next fluid on Mon 10am, is that a poor choice of a day (mon) to try to sample it? Should I try to instead get the latest one possible on Sunday BEFORE the fluid? He said bring in 24 hours. I forgot to ask about refrigeration and he did not say.

5. Marje and Gracie

Yes, I’d grab it before her fluids on Sunday and take it with you. See if you can get the first pee of the morning on Sunday. Yes...it needs to be in the frig until you take it in. The only thing is, it might grow bacteria so you won’t be able to tell if there is any infection unless there is bacteria and she has a ton of white blood cells in her urine. Or blood. Blood might also indicate some infection.

6. Mocha aka Cold Play

But he will not be testing it Sunday as he is not open for business. I expect he sends to Idexx on Monday sometime and that could mean it is past 24 hours from collection. Maybe I should just aim for Tuesday am at this point when the schedule is back to 10 fluid? Want it to be accurate or not worth it.

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  7. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

Sending healing vines for Mocha and :bighug::bighug::bighug:to you.

8. Marje and Gracie

Hmmmm.....if she gets fluid on Monday a.m., it’s possible Tuesday a.m. will work. Or if she doesn’t get fluids again until Wed, I’d take a sample in Wed a.m. before fluids. Then it will have been a while since she got them.

I think the fluids at the vet might be uncomfortable because they use harpoon sized needles and the fluids are so cold. At home, you can use smaller needles, slightly warm the fluids in warm water, and freeze the needles. It all helps to make it more comfortable.

9. Mocha aka Cold Play

That is not what I have been instructed (surprise!). He gave me two syringe vials to draw up the fluid. I figure use a small container to catch her high spray and then draw it up. He said that was fine.

10. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending prayers for you and Mocha. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

11. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Just adding more hugs and prayers...it sounds like treatments are starting to help her feel better! Thank you for posting an update - pleas know we are thinking of you :bighug::bighug::bighug:!

12. tonimarmalade

tonimarmalade Member

Jumping on the prayer train for Mocha and you. You do have your hands full. And hugs are always good:bighug::bighug:

13. Marje and Gracie

When I was talking about fluids, I meant subq fluids.

To catch urine, just put a spoon under her and catch it then pour it into the vials he gave you.

14. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

Thinking about you! And of course, sending tone of vines. I've had a CKD dog and a kitty, but can't offer much more here than others have. Just some :bighug::bighug::bighug:

15. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

what a wonderful time for her at the old place, although pretty funny that you had to hide from the folks looking at your old place! That would've been a funny Candid Camera episode!

She sounds like she's really feeling pretty well. Loving you, loving the walk outside, playing with her paper toy.

I got a harness and leash for punkin because he also liked to go outside. After he was diagnosed, I took him outside and we strolled around the neighborhood with him in charge of where we went. We live at the back of a culdesac and I realized he only went 1-2 houses in either direction. He dragged me under shrubs and through wet grass. I drew the line when he wanted to go under a fence - didn't think I could fit through the punkin-sized gap underneath! We had lots of fun with it, though. I learned to take a book with me because he liked to go to one particular spot that was slightly uphill and survey his kingdom. That usually meant laying in one spot for a half hour or more, so I read a book.

He also liked to visit the catnip patch in our garden - here's a little clip I took of him with the catnip.

16. Mocha aka Cold Play

I think I hear a major purr there. So sweet. What a sweetheart! Have you ever heard of success with indoor potted catnip? I did it for my male but he did not care. These two love to chew on the pampass grass, where she runs to still, even though it is not green yet. I know they love dirt and I am wondering what to do now that it will be cold again and she clearly misses that outdoor green. I want to bring it in. Thoughts?

17. Mocha aka Cold Play

Thank you that I am not alone because that makes the journey unbearable.....honestly.

18. Mocha aka Cold Play

The little sweet "pee" has taken up all activity. Since being here, there is NO carpet, only small runners. She has not peed on any runner except the one near the litter entry 1x many weeks ago.

When we got back about an hour and after she used the litter in the car (while we waited to go to the yard), she sometime peed on my rugs in the bath I use. I kept smelling it and I couldn't figure it out. I figured it out!

Then I just now saw her squat on the new runner from yesterday at this moment. I thought she was going to have a stool and run for tissues to catch, no a long string of urine and I moved her to the box.

I wonder, just wonder, if there is frustration to be in this condo and not the house. Yes, her sugar is out of whack at the moment, but this behavior is strange. She often used the litter at the other home when high, it was only out of "frustration" that I detected she did this.

I hope she can go back to the litter. I wondered why there was not much urine after we got back and she did use it for a healthy stool only. Now I know. With laminate this won't be a good thing, it could ruin the floor if I can't find them when she does it. Oh to read the mind of a cat who is likely ticked at me for moving from her digs.

19. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

What a nice outing back to the old place for you both :cat: is there a quiet park or something near the new place that you can start taking her to? It's great that she's starting to feel a little better :bighug:

20. Peg and Toby

Peg and Toby Well-Known Member

Sending more prayers and vines for you and Mocha.

21. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

I'm glad that she's feeling better. Playing and rubbing on things (and you) is a very good sign.

I grow catnip indoors. Cinco is the only kitty in my house that likes it, so I break off a sprig every now and then and give it to him. Keeps him entertained for about 3-5 minutes.

I understand the frustration about the peeing. Cinco does that, too. I have pee pads all around his main litter box because he often doesn't make it there. It might be that she has to go more urgently, now that she's getting fluids, and can't wait to get to the box. Be sure you use an enzymatic cleaner on the places she goes so she won't be drawn back to go there again.

Sending vines for continued improvement. I'm keeping you and Mocha in my prayers. :bighug:

22. julie & punkin (ga)

I'm in the valley in Oregon, so it's relatively mild here compared to Chicago. We have that clump in the video that's in the ground. It dies back every year and sprouts again in the spring. It had just begun to sprout in the video. We also grow some in a pot on our deck. I don't think I could have it inside only because the cats would eat it and it wouldn't have a chance to grow. But I bring in stalks regularly and the cats like it.

Yes, Punkin had a major purr. He'd go for a couple of hours at a time and he was loud enough you could hear him in another room. A delightful quality! All 3 of our kitties now are nearly silent purrers. Funny how different cats are about that.

If you haven't tried the product you sprinkle on litter called something like "litter attract" you might buy a can and try it. I understand that there is also a litter called something like that, but I'm talking about the sprinkle product, not the litter. One of my friends bought the litter and I (while catsitting) thought it was a yucky litter.

23. Mocha aka Cold Play

dh melt down. I want someone to adopt me frankly. so worn every fiber of my body.

24. julie & punkin (ga)

((((((Kari)))))

Today is almost at a close. Tomorrow is a new day. Get a good night's sleep and things will hopefully look better tomorrow.

25. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

26. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I grow catnip indoors, in a hanging pot. I used to have it in a pot on a wide window ledge. It worked perfectly for a previous cat who would only nibble at it. When Neko found it she mowed it right down, so now I grow it in a hanging planter and pick some down occasionally for her.

As Mocha gets into better numbers and feels better and pees less, she'll use the LB more. In the mean time, you can try the Dr. Elseys Cat Attract that Julie mentions. You can get it as litter or a container to add to your own litter.

Hang in there Kari. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

27. Mocha aka Cold Play

yeah, waterfall IN The box! Thank you.

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  28. jayla-n-Drevon

I LOVE Dr Elseys litter-- I use the regular but I have NEVER had a issue with UTI from it or really any issue--well worth it.

marniepaul & miles likes this.
  29. jayla-n-Drevon

I usd to have a rescue that went into kidney failure and we gave fluids 2x a day--his name was Thunder but we renamed him "Niagra" :)

30. jayla-n-Drevon

king of the world thunder.jpg My sweet Thunder sleeping on his favorite blanky :)

31. Mocha aka Cold Play

That will be a rough one. We are actually 4 miles from Ohare but it is quieter inside from the planes than 10 minutes west in our old house. Dogs are not allowed in our complex but they are in the townhomes around us and I just heard what seemed to be a dog fight and that is not unusual as they walk dogs. That is a good idea if I could think of a place not well traveled.

32. suki & crystal (GA)

suki & crystal (GA) Well-Known Member

(((Kari))) Glad to hear Mocha is improving, sending some vines for your DH to "mellow" a bit, must be difficult for you :bighug:

33. Mocha aka Cold Play

Mocha vomited yesterday. I think the switch to pill Zofran 1mg a day vs the shot was not enough. I gave her 2 mg after the vomit at 4 am.

dh has tbi and there has been no turn around and with Mocha, I am in inch from a breakdown.

34. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

You can get through this. It's just like FD -- it will become routine. Just give yourself more than a day or two to get that routine established.

35. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Sending all those good vines for Mocha! Hang in there, Kari.

We have Catmint in our garden: it is cold-weather hardy and comes up every Spring. Rusty ignores it, but Stu (GA) loved it and would sit between the Catmint plants for hours.

Good luck with the urinalysis,

Ella & Rusty (and Stu[GA], Catmint gourmet)
    P5050586.jpg

36. Mocha aka Cold Play

Now that is a money maker advertisement!

37. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I live in a condo that has a courtyard. One of the other condo dwellers have dogs. They have a huge chunk of sod in their courtyard so if the dogs need a potty break in the middle of the night, they don't have to trek to the park. A hunk of sod on the balcony might work.

38. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Ha ha! Mine do/did the same. I took Rosie out one warm afternoon in October and this is what she did when she found the remnants of a struggling catmint plant. This was about a month before she was diagnosed with FD. IMG_0270.JPG

39. Mocha aka Cold Play

So sweet photos. Really, they should use them in the ads! Adorable!

40. Mocha aka Cold Play

@Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)
    @Sienne and Gabby (GA)
    @Lydia & Rosie AKA &Basil

I am on a quick hunt to find her some pampass grass that maybe I could keep near the indoor patio and by her food. When I have looked it up in the past it says non toxic to dogs and cats. We had the cream plumes. The pet stores do not have any catmint or cat nip plants (maybe another distant pet chain would but I am trying to get what she loved...pampass, from our lower yard that both Mocha and Latte loved. I had to limit it because they spit up but a partial strand would really make her happy and she should keep it down.

A local florist is kind enough to try to get it tomorrow if available and will call me. No concerns right?

I have said outside to her and she perks up always. She even had more life and raising her hind end to be petted and tail swaying to eat after telling her that and putting her small blue harness on. I then took her in a blanket on the balcony and held her. It is cold today. Only lasted a few minutes and began to quiver to in we go. Guess we will stick to inside our old home after the vet and HOPE no one barrels in because we have an auto show that they waltz in.

41. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

I wish it were not winter. I could send you some nepeta (cat mint) plants. But if she loved pampas grass, that should be great! I wonder if she would be less likely to, shall we say, return it to you if you gave her some chopped up. It would really release the aroma, too. I would, however, wash it thoroughly in cool water and detergent if it comes through a florist because you don't know how it has been treated with sprays or whatever while it was grown.

42. Mocha aka Cold Play

good point. she never cared about the cat nip banana so trying to get that won't matter...trying to give her the familiar and some green in here would be nice. I will wash it though if she can get it for me. Wonder if it could be covered on the balcony and survive for a time, so neither eats other strands?

43. Marje and Gracie

I was going to say the same as Lydia....be sure you really wash it. I’m sure they must spray that stuff.

More vines for Mocha and esp “use the LB little girl” vines.

44. Mocha aka Cold Play

Just came back from the old house yard, just about 10 minutes before dark because had to wait for vet call to get the fluid. She was running in the yard, galloping, loving the perennial bed with the dormant pampass. Wanted in (each time) and let her run in the house. She hates to leave. Sad, she is grieving that house. But, i think the benefit of going outways leaving. She knows "outside" means her yard and just telling her that in the condo, she livens up, she purrs, she is happier and more lively. I did take her on the condo balcony with a leash and only held her in a blanket but that is not her home to her and her outside is our yard. Time to relax for a short while.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.