? My cat Buddy's KETONE Strip shows trace amounts

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Teresa & Buddy, Dec 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teresa & Buddy

Teresa & Buddy Well-Known Member

Buddy, has been sick since Monday with pancreatitis, but this time it has not seemed to go away or get better. Tuesday morning his doctor was not in so I took him to a different doctor, he was not eating, no matter what I did. The doctor increased his Bupe from a syringe from .02 a day to .03 2 X a day. She changed his appetite stimulant from cypro to mirt. She also put him on Baytril because she thought he had a UTI. When we came home Buddy ate, but then no matter what anti-nausea meds I gave him he would look at his food as though it made him sick. This went on from Tuesday to Thursday, on Thursday I took him back to see the doctor. The doctor said he had too much fat in his food and that was causing too stay sick. She wanted him to eat wet food with a small of fat and for me to water it down and feed him with a syringe. She put him on Hills ID Digestive care. On Monday night I did not give any insulin because he would not eat. On Tuesday the doctor had me feeding Buddy his normal food, but he was not eating very much so I gave him 4.75u at Pmps, he did not have insulin because he did not eat. On 11/28/18 @ AMPS he ate very little so I gave him 5.25u, his normal dose was around 6.50u -6.75u. On 11/28/18 I only gave him 3u because he did not want to eat. On 11/29/18 @ AMPS Buddy was @ 191 and I gave him 5.5u after his first meal then he would not eat so I took him back to the vet and she said his food had too much fat, she changed his diet for 30 days to give his pancreas a rest. That evening I got very little down Buddy so I gave him 1u. On 11/30/18, it did not seem as though he was getting much food mostly water, so I gave him 2u, @ PMPS I gave 2.5U. This morning when I tried his Ketone stick it said trace amount, then he would noy pee again, when he did it came back the same with trace amounts. At Amps today I gave him 3.25 because all he was getting was water in a syringe mostly, the doctor had me buy him the same cat food only in dry, so he would have more to eat. I am going to feed him right now. What should I do.

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Ketoacidosis
    Normally a trace on the ketone stick is ok if the cat is well but In the above link, it says if there is a trace of ketones AND the cat has other symptoms such as no appetite, lethargy, no insulin, infection, vomiting, dehydration....then you need to be seen by a vet. Buddy does seem to have some of these symptoms so my advice would be to see a vet.
    How is his hydration?
    What anti nausea meds are you giving?

3. Teresa & Buddy

Teresa & Buddy Well-Known Member

He has seen a vet two times this week and none are in on week-ends, he is only eating what I force feed him. I did raise his dose to 3.50, since he is not eating much. He was @6.5u, before he got sick. I called his vet today and talked to her. If ketone strips don't get better I will need to take him to the ER, think I will lay down.

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I’m sure it is all very stressful for you. It is awful when our kitties are sick :bighug:
    Keep trying to syringe feed him to get more food in if you can and fluids. This is really important and try and keep the insulin doses going. All really important to combat ketones.

Teresa & Buddy likes this.
  5. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

When Murphy gets pancreatitis bouts, he will not eat any wet food - only kibble. I know it doesn't help with hydration, but some of the low carb kibble (Young Again, Epigen90) have tons of calories in (I think 1 cup is ~ 500 calories) so they only need a small amount to get some calories in them. I think of it as only wanting dry toast when I am nauseated. Agree with comments above

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.