My Cat I need advices.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ronnon, Aug 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ronnon

Ronnon Member

Hi everyone.

I have a Chinchilla persian cat, male, 11 years old, 10 lb.
    He has been diagnosed with diabetes the past July.
    In the vet clinic the diagnostic was only with a blood test with a value of 346 mg. It´s important to say that my cat suffers a lot of stress in the clinic.

The vet decided to prescribe 2 units of Insulatard but she didn´t make the fructosamine test, either the pee sample.
    After 2 weeks with the injections of Insulatard I oblied her to make the fructosamine test, which it was 456 mg.
    During the disease period of my cat I have read a lot about the feline diabetes and I am trying to give a plenty BARF diet, due to I have retired the dry feline feed, I continue with the BARF diet, not without a huge effort.

I have visited several vet clinics and nobody reach a common rules about feline diabetes, even my first vet clinic wanted I put my cat 3 units of Insulatard. I totally refused it. I bought a glucometer and I make measurement controls of my cat.
    The 31st July my cat suffered a hypoglicemia, with the lowest level in 50 mg. I fed with honey and I get a recover.
    Since then and up I left the inyections of insuline and I controled the cat with Barf diet. My cat values has been between 140 and 170 and the cat has drunk in a low quantity and the pee the same.
    The last days I realize that the water compsuption and the pee has increased. The glucometer test gives values between 226 and 243. Should I put the inyections again? I have bought Lantus insuline.
    From which values is oblied to put the inyections?
    I don´t know if I must put the inyection only once in a day.
    I need our advices. I don´t trust in vet clinics.

Best Regards.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Even using a long lasting insulin like Lantus (once a day with humans but humans also use a very vast acting insulin before each meal), almost all cats require twice daily injections.
    Insulatard is just a trade name for N/NPH insulin with does not work well in most casts since it only last 8-10 hours.
    Basted on your previous experience I would start with 1/2 unit of Lantus twice daily. Since Lantus is a depot insulin (not like Insulatard) it will take 3-5 days for the Lantus to buildup and reach max effectiveness.

Ronnon and Noah & me (GA) like this.
  3. Ronnon

Ronnon Member

Thanks for your comment, I though with the Barf diet and 1 unit Lantus per day it would be enough.
    With values of 243 mg I have some fears, could the vital organs suffer any pain due to the high glucose? Is it 243 an amount too many high.
    Regards.

4. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

You have a very pretty kitty there! We have another Spain kitty here @Manu & Porto, maybe they can help with some specific answers in regards to food options etc.

It will not cause pain but the high numbers can cause an upset stomach and those consistent high values (over 200) can cause issues with the kidneys if left untreated. It is called the renal threshold and we try to get kitties below that value the majority of that time.

Lantus works best at giving injections twice a day. And you may want to start with .5units twice a day, 12 hours apart like Larry suggested. 1 unit sounds like it maybe too much.

It looks like maybe with a bit more insulin support and the continued BARF diet that maybe your kitty will go into remission. Just needs a bit more support.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    Ronnon and Noah & me (GA) like this.
  5. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

That's because diabetes is seen as an uncommon ailment in cats and is not well taught. You'll never get the same answer twice.
    And that my friend is why we are here.
    Better advice will come, I'm off to the market.

Ronnon likes this.
  6. Ronnon

Ronnon Member

We inyected our cat Insulatard with the injections I attach you the pic.
    2 units twice a day ( in the pic appears each little line)
    We want to know if these injections are right for Lantus
    Then should I try with 0.5 unit twice a day?
    Thank you very much. I’m very grateful with this forum
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Manu & Porto likes this.
  7. Tracey&Jones (GA)

I can't see a picture.:(

2 units sounds like a lot for the test results you are getting. I would start lower at 0.5. I am tagging some more experienced people than me to see what they say. @carfurby @Wendy&Neko

With lantus, it is really important to know how much it lowers the BG - which is about +5-+7 hours usually from the time you inject. Which is why home testing is important, so we know how the insulin is working.

Ronnon and Manu & Porto like this.
  8. Manu & Porto

Manu & Porto Member

Hi! I received your conversation and will write later, in a bit. I am by no means an expert but I can share from my experience and try and help a bit as Ive been help by the wonderful people here.
    All I can say for now is that by looking at your picture, it seems to me your are shooting three units instead of two. you need to count the spaces between the lines. Also, it is good advice starting with 0,5 units, twice per day, with lantus. Id be worried to go higher, I think, given his numbers and you giving a meat diet. It is best to go slow and see how he reacts. It seems you say you have issues with him accepting the barf diet. I can try and advice on other foods, more palatable. Diabetes needs time and patience so take it easy, no big moves now that you try to inteoduxe Lantus, go slow, be patient at least the few first days to see how he responds.

I will write in a bit, Sorry I have to disconnect for now.

Reason for edit: Completed and corrected grammar
    Ronnon likes this.
  9. Manu & Porto

Manu & Porto Member

Two units on my 0,3 ml insulin syringe.

Attached Files:

10. Ronnon

Ronnon Member

@Tracey&Jones please check Now link please.
    @Manu & Porto thanks

Which is the right inyection of Lantus?
    It’s a mess the different measurements but I have used the inyection in the left side of the pic with Insulatard
    Which is the right for Lantus?

[​IMG]

Manu & Porto likes this.
  11. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Using the needle on the left side of picture.

Lantus is 100u/ml insulin the same as the Insulatard is 100u/ml. That syring is 1ml so will hold a 100 units of insulin in total. So each line on the syringe on the syringe = 1 unit of insulin. So going back to the first picture - that looks like 3 units of insulin. We are looking for less then 1 unit. Half way between the long line and the first small line.

Do you think you could get these in Spain? It would make it so much easier to do the 1/2 unit doses.

https://www.adwdiabetes.com/product/6941/bd-ultra-fine-insulin-syringes

Manu & Porto likes this.
  12. Manu & Porto

Manu & Porto Member

The 30 units one is the one I use, for better dosage. Is the one I used in the picture. 0,5 units would be half of 1 unit. There are some BD 0,3 syringes that come with half dosing but the space looks smaller, I got used to these ones.
    With Lantus you should always test before giving the two shots and in between. In between, throughout those 12 hours, you will have a low peak and that is actually what you need to be careful with and how the dose is set. For advice on dose, you need that spreadsheet that will also help you a lot while cruising through this. There are two protocols that can be followed, TR or SLGS and maybe some more experienced users can advice with that.
    You can also read all the top info in the Lantus section of the forum, that will answer a lot of questions, with the protocols also.

As for food, I am limited to just some brands because we also deal with IBD. I am now feeding Natures Menu, it is not raw, it comes in envelopes and has 7% carbs. On zooplus you can also find Catz finefood that has 7% carb and comes in more kinds of proteins, also monoprotein and it is nice quality. Do you prepare the raw or do you ask for it online?

13. Manu & Porto

Manu & Porto Member

You can find half dosing BD syringes, the ones I used were of 0,3 ml. You order it from the pharmacy, not all of them can order it so look until you find one that does.
    I use an online pharmacy to ask for the ICO ones, I found a very good price, they were charging me a fortune in the pharmacy. So if you ever need, I can pass you the link. I dont think they have the BD ones there, tho.

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  14. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I say the first image shows 3 units of insulin

15. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

This is just the welcome forum, where you post an introduction. Could you start another post on the Feline Health forum, that will get you more attention. And if you look at the Sticky Notes at the top of the Lantus /Levemir forum, you will see pictures of syringes and what the doses should look like.

Ronnon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.