N00B

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Summer, May 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Summer

Summer New Member

Hello everyone, thank you for the valuable resource you provide. Our 12 year old female tabby cat, Tangi, was diagnosed on Friday with diabetes after we noticed some if the classic symptoms - excessive urination, thirst, loss of dexterity etc. Our vet has started us on 1 unit of Vetsulin twice daily to begin with, and we are returning to the vet weekly for monitoring while they raise the dose until things are under control.

I will try not to ask a lot of questions as I'm sure a simple forum search will answer nearly all of them. We were advised to hold off on a food change until the insulin dosage was stabilized, so we could better identify what was causing what. From what I understand, our current dry food (Purina Indoor Cat) is garbage and we should be looking at a high protein, low carb wet food to switch to.

Vetsulin is porcine based but from what I have read, bovine based insulin is better for cats?

Also I would like to start home glucose monitoring since that seems to provide more accurate results for adjustment.

Thank you again for your assistance and entrance to this community.

-Summer and Tangi

PS here is a picture of Tangi in her usual habitat, thinking she gets dinner with the people; and with one of our house rabbits. 20131021_201441.jpg 20150222_210219.jpg

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Welcome, here is a list of low-carb, canned commercial food.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/shortcut-shopping-list-all-8-or-less-updated.117688/
    Vetsulin is a poor insulin for cats. Better are the human insulins Lantus or Levemir. There is also the pet insulins ProZinc (human insulin based) and BCP PZI which is bovine based. There is also the human N/NPH insulin which is also poor for cats.
    Yes, home testing is almost a must and most of use here do that. Most record BG and other info in a spreadsheet that can be vied by others here
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...te-a-ss-and-link-it-in-your-signature.130337/

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB.
    Go right ahead and ask questions. Sometimes our answers need modification for your particular situation.

4. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

I agree, ask any questions you may have. The answer may be buried on our site so asking your question may be the quickest way to get the answers you need. That is the reason we are here for - to help you learn to care for your cats

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.