? need advice to shoot or not +11 BG 147

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jerry dutchboy, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Jerry dutchboy

Jerry dutchboy Well-Known Member

yesterday

So my little Jerry had one of his best days ever yesterday and was in the green quite a bit yesterday and through the night. His BG at +11 is 147, so I'm very nervous about giving him his AM shot in about 45 minutes. Normally I would go ahead and just monitor him, but I need to leave him for a few hours at +1.5 till about +5. Any advice is much appreciated.

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

See what he is at AMPS.
    Can you stall and not feed and test in 20 minutes if needed or will that throw you out for leaving?
    Is there anyone else who can test or feed him while you are away?

3. Jerry dutchboy

no, no one will be here which is why I'm so nervous. I can stall and see what his numner is . I can leave food out but I'm afraid that his civvie will eat it....oh boy. This is just bad timing.

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

My main concern is that he drops quite quickly after the injection.....his +2 is often quite a bit lower than the preshot and if you aren't there to act on that I would be concerned
    He might bounce after all those greens but we will have to wait and see,
    I wouldn't rely on him eating if the civvie might take the food.
    The main thing is to keep him safe.

5. Jerry dutchboy

I agree wholeheartedly. Thus is the very reason for my concern. His numbers through the Pm cycle have been so steady which is so unusual...loved it although I didn't get much sleep.

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Is he a good eater?

7. Jerry dutchboy

Hmmm i would say yes. When he gets low he will devour gravy. At AM he was 211 i'm stalling and will test in another 10 mins.

8. Bron and Sheba (GA)

OK. Can you shut the other cat away from the food while you are away?

9. Jerry dutchboy

No not really...he wouldn't be able to get to the litter box. Just tested and he's dropped back to 191. Hate to skip a dose but I don't think i really have a choice. Better safe than sorry, or am I being being way too cautious?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  10. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Here is part of the SLGS sticky
    "There's no hard and fast rule, but if you don't have data on how your cat responds to insulin, here are some general guidelines.
    • Below 150 mg/dl (8.3 mmol/L), don't give insulin.
    • Between 150 and 200 (8.3-11.1 mmol/L), you have three options:
      • a.) give nothing
      • b.) give a token dose (10-25% of the usual dose)
      • c.) feed as usual, test in a couple of hours, and make a decision based on that value
    • Above 200 (11.1 mmol/L) but below the cat's normal pre-shot value, a reduced dose might be wise.
    • In all cases, if you are reducing or eliminating insulin, it's wise to check for ketones in the urine.
    • Above the normal pre-shot value, give the usual dose, but if the pre-shot value is consistently elevated, it's a good idea to schedule a full glucose curve to see whether a change in dose or insulin is appropriate. In most cases, the target "peak" value should not be below 100 mg/dl (5.6 mmol/L), and for some cats it might be higher."
    I think skipping, because you won't be there to monitor until +5 is probably a wise decision, seeing he can drop quite a bit lower at +2 on occasion. It is one of the three options in the SLGS sticky. He will get back on track quickly. You can give the PMPS a bit earlier tonight because you are skipping now.
    You hold the syringe and you have to be comfortable with the decision.

11. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

You can skip, give a token dose, or feed some HC before you leave and also leave food out.

Jerry dutchboy likes this.
  12. Jerry dutchboy

Yep Bron, thank you for your sound advice. Hate to do it and I feel like a scaredy cat but Jerry is a bit unpredictable and I'd be a nervous wreck. Would love to just cancel my appointment but it is not an option. Really appreciate your input. Think I see another litter box being purchased.

13. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Dierdre said that the civvie would probably eat the food and she can't shut it away.

14. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I don't think you are a scaredy cat at all. Yes it is a shame when his numbers were looking so good but he'll get back on track and the most important thing is to keep him safe. Better to be a bit high than too low.
    Other option is to buy an auto feeder which has a chip that only lets him eat from it.

15. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

@Bron and Sheba - I saw that. However, there's no way to know for sure who was eating what.

This is an expensive thought but there are chip controlled feeders. It would prevent the civvie from eating Jerry's food.

16. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Hi Sienne, yes a chip controlled feeder is a really good idea, especially if it is going to be an ongoing problem..
    It is hard when there are other cats around who might eat the food....
    It is good to catch up with you....I haven't seen you for ages. I hope you are in good health and life it treating you well

17. Jerry dutchboy

Well I'm here most of the time, just promised a friend of mine (who was just released from the hospital yesterday) to take her 90 year old mother to a doctor's appointment. I cannot let them down. I will look into the chip controlled feeders. There are a few out there any recommendations?

BTW just tested him +1 and he's dropped again to 159. Guess he knows I'm about to leave and wants me to worry!!!!

18. Bron and Sheba (GA)

They like to keep us on our toes!

19. Jerry dutchboy

Well got back quicker than I thought. Just tested him and he is at 288.... oh well I suppose he's better high than too low. Again thank you for letting me pick your brains. A little tired as I stayed up with him until 3 am and was awake before the alarm clock at 5 so was not at my decision making best on two hours sleep.

20. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Definitely better a day too high than risk a hypo while away. Pretend it’s a fur shot. I would have skipped if my cat.

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  21. Jerry dutchboy

That's a good way to look at it. Makes me feel better about it. I know it was the best decision but now he's skyrocketing again. Think this is mainly skipped shot but also a bounce from yesterday. It was so wonderful to see the numbers we had yesterday last as long as they did. Have to hope we get back there again soon.:banghead: