Nelli continues to stay in upper 300’s and low 400’s...

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Krystina & Nelli, Aug 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krystina & Nelli

Krystina & Nelli Well-Known Member

I understand egg yolk powder is good for neuropathy?

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I use egg yolk powder to help with hairballs. For neuropathy, most people here use Zobaline.

3. Krystina & Nelli

Ok. Thanks.

4. Krystina & Nelli

Thank you Marje and “see below” you email my response and questions...

I’d like to recommend that if you are home and can monitor, that you try the Tight Regulation Protocol since you are feeding a raw diet. TR will get her to a good dose faster. Then you can decide if you want to switch to Start Low Go Slow.

Any reason why you dropped her dose back this morning? I understand when you look at the numbers and your vet raised the dose by 1u from 2u to 3u, you might wonder if she is overdosed. In some cases, that can occcur but she doesn’t look overdosed to me.

Overdosed cats are not typically just flat like this (although some can be). They often will drop down a lot and then shoot back up.

There are a couple things I can suggest for you:
    • In order to make the proper dosing decisions on whether to increase her and by how much, you need to know how low a dose is taking her. Cats typically drop lower at night which means you do need some data there. It would be helpful if you can get the PMPS, a +2, and a before bed test. If you just happen to be an early riser and are up by +10, you could grab a test then.
    • If you decide to follow the TR protocol, you would hold the dose six consecutive cycles. If the nadirs are over 300, you’ll want to increase by 0.5u. If you follow SLGS, you would hold the dose for a week. See how you can get her to a better dose faster with TR? But you will need to be able to test and respond if she drops.
    • I’d be testing for ketones every day.
    I would suggest you get the Zobaline started immediately. It’s the unregulated diabetes that is causing the neuropathy. It doesn’t make sense to wait until she’s regulated.

I would also suggest you make sure you have a Hypo Kit ready. I’m not saying she will hypo but it’s got the stuff you need to handlelower numbers and she will eventually see lower numbers. And the post on How to Treat Hypos is a good one to print out and have handy just in case she drops low and you can’t get on the board.

I know you are self employed but if you can post here daily, you will get a lot of support and we can help you decide when to changethe dose. Making the Most of your Lantus Basaglar Levemir ISG Experience will give you the posting instructions and how tomaximize your time while getting the help you need.

Theres a lot of knowledge on this board and all questions are welcome. And you always want to test before you feed if it’s not shottime and if it is, test first as well. Most feed while shooting as it distracts kitty. You don’t want to feed before you test as it is possible itwill influence the BG.

Welcome aboard!

Last edited: Today at 2:17 PM
    Gracie's Spreadsheets/Labs; The Celebration of Gracie and her “OTJ” Video; Gracie’s Tribute Video
    For Lantus Land Emergency Fund, please see us on Facebook or send a PM to “LLEF"

I have gotten Nelli off 12/12 shoot schedule :-\ from 6a/6p to 9a/9p!
    We both are sleeping by 10, if not before and awake 5:30-6.
    Can I go back to earlier times?
    I (now) understand the importance of PM reading. Her PMPS was at 8 and we will stay up for a +2... in morning a +10 before breakfast - I will feed he only 1/2 (1oz) of her Rad Cat b/c she will be due for AMPS at 8:15-8:30. This is a terrible problem I’ve created by getting her off 6a/6p schedule...

Zobaline. It is not available locally. My two choices seem to be LifeLink and Amazon. I will be able to get it a bit sooner from LifeLink... hopefully with expedited shipping, Friday. I will know in morning when I call them :)!

Hypo Kit- Treat Hypos. Thanks I will both.

Making most of... experience. I will look at this first thing in morning!

I will check in, post every day, realize how helpful this will be for Nelli and I. I fell blessed to have found this board.
    Blessed.
    There are so many people with so much knowledge and experience here!
    God knows I have question everyday- I appreciate being able to chime in with them :).
    Thanks again... Krystina

Sue and Luci and Beth 73 like this.
  5. Krystina & Nelli

Did not mean to say neuropathy!?!
    I am so exhausted... meant to ask “egg yolk powder a (good) source of carbs?” Nelli eats Rad Cat which according to Rad Cat the Chicken does not have any carbs in it?
    Thanks...

6. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Why are you looking to add carbs? We want them eating a low carb diet

RadCat is a good food....it's what I feed my own

7. Krystina & Nelli

In case I might need them? Not now, I know.
    I am trying to be pro active in as many “departments” as I can think of. OMG there is so much to learn, understand and.. do right not wrong. You and others, Chris have been very valuable and I appreciate this :)

8. Chris & China (GA)

If you have to intervene with carbs due to a low number (or to "steer" the numbers if she's dropping a little too quickly), most of us just keep a few other food choices around

I usually keep a few medium and high carb Fancy Feasts in the house for those times I need them. Karo/honey/syrup can also be used if they're too low (to get them up quickly...but these also wear off quickly so should be followed up by some food)

Eggs are pretty much pure protein so they're not going to add any carbs.

9. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

It’s good for constipation :) Zobaline is for neuropathy :) The egg yolk will not add carbs...it is protein and fat.

If you want to get back to your original shot time, you can move it back by 15 mins a cycle or 30 mins once a day. I find the latter to be the easiest so if you are shooting at 9, then, for example shoot at 8:30 tonight, 8 tomorrow night, 7:30 the next night u til you get caught up. I have done a post on Getting Back on Schedule but you’ve already got a lot to read so we will keep it simple.

If, for any reason, you had to skip a shot, then you can pick whatever time you want for the next cycle’s shot to get back on schedule. I don’t anticipate that you will need to skip a shot soon but nevertheless say never. It’s a well known fact in this ISG that as soon as the words come out of our mouths, the cat does what we said they wouldn’t :rolleyes::smuggrin:

If, because of the current shot time, you are go8ng to bed right after +2, then just skip that for now and grab a test right before bed. Once you get her shot time moved back, you can grab a+2 and before bed. If you are still getting up at 5:30 or 6, that’s a great time to grab a test to see where she’s headed towards shot time until you get her back on schedule.

I’m sure you will have lots of questions...it’s a steep learning curve.

10. Krystina & Nelli

Thanks... I was confused about egg yolk... added to the profound sadness of w.h.y Nellis’ health has declined, my wanting to do ALL the best for her... I now remember egg yolk powder for constipation. Thanks.
    NEED to get this neuropathy resolved. My heart bleeds for her
    I got a +2.5 at 10:30... 404. Same as PMPS?
    Looking forward to the +10 :)

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  11. Krystina & Nelli

Thanks ...
    hittin’ the rack

12. Krystina & Nelli

Thanks Chris
    Hittin’ the rack... exhausted

13. Krystina & Nelli

What is OTJ :-\?

14. Chris & China (GA)

Off The Juice!!!

Remission......the goal we all pray for!!

Krystina & Nelli likes this.
  15. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Great job. You can record it on her SS in the +2 column as 404 @ +2.5.

My suggestion is you give her four consecutive cycles at 3.25u and let’s see what she does. Hopefully, we can see how low she’s getting.

16. Krystina & Nelli

AGREE ❣️

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.