? New Job

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by racn1320, May 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. racn1320

racn1320 Member

Starting a new job this week and my hrs are going to kinda wacky. shots maybe hr early some days and hr late some nights. She is on Lantus, 2.0 units per shot twice a day. SO when I give her a shot an hr early should i just give her a tad less like 1.9? Then when im hr late 2.1? I know I dont have a SS but I do test her usually daily,but not as much now that i wont be home as much,her numbers are very controlled now. Just asking for advice at this point!!

2. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

hopefully you can find some consistency fairly quickly. Lantus really doesn't like inconsistency.

try reading this sticky http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...ion-possible-with-a-full-time-job-yes.129378/

try to get those out the door tests, just got home tests... just turning off the light at bedtime tests....
    knowing her numbers is key to keeping her safe....

leave food so she can self feed if she's dropping low when you aren't there. Perhaps even get a timed feeder....

can't tell you a dose without seeing a spreadsheet....

3. racn1320

racn1320 Member

ID really like to stay away from missed doses,thats how she ended up at the emergency vet a couple years ago.

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Good luck with the new job.

Without the spreadsheet, I can't make any suggestions on dose, sorry.

5. racn1320

racn1320 Member

SO what are you all getting for preshot numbers,like right before her shot is given if I may ask????

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

We don't determine the dose by the preshot numbers, but rather the nadirs or how low the dose. is taking the cat. Since I was experienced and knew Neko's patterns, I shot as low as 51 as I was following the Tight Regulation protocol and had years of data. If she was lower than that, I didn't shoot until she got higher. If all you have is preshot data, I highly recommend getting some mid cycle data on weekends or days you don't work, as well as evenings or if you are home at night.

7. racn1320

racn1320 Member

Ill be working some 11hr days so to be on schedule maybe hard to do, and my schedule will change. So ive been testing more today,normal peak time +12.00hr and + 14.00hr,"2 hr after her shot",her numbers are staying pretty much the same at 12 and 14 hr, I havent tested to much at this time before,is it normal for this to stay around the same number at 12 and 14 hr.thx

8. racn1320

racn1320 Member

tested her 8.00 hrs at 208,then 12.00 or pre shot was at 183, then 14.00 hrs ,2 hrs after shot of 2.0 comes to 187,hope that helps some,please let me know your opinion. I use the relion confirm meter btw

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  9. racn1320

racn1320 Member

Update before bed. i tested her 3.5 hrs into her shot and she rose to 297 +3.5, I did giver her a very pea size helping of easy cheese,not to sure if that would affect or not. Her peak time seems to be at hr 11-12.

10. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Steph & Quintus & L & O Well-Known Member

You need to understand that what you are hoping for is advice based on not enough data, and we won’t be able to give you that. Most people here aim for tight regulation, which means keeping numbers between 50 and 80 most of the time on a human meter and shooting low preshots. As Wendy says, we adjust dose based on how low the cat goes on a number of cycles — not just one — hence the spreadsheet which allows us to have a good multi day view of the situation. We don’t do things this way for fun, but because this method has been demonstrated to be the most efficient AND SAFE way of dosing Lantus. Chances are people are not going to want to advise you to do things they fear is unsafe.

Lantus does not like shot time changes. I’m assuming you are living alone and don’t have a friend/neighbour who can come in to test/shoot when needed?

I was away 11.5 hours a day when regulating Quintus, but I was lucky that my schedule was regular. If it hadn’t been, and if Quintus hadn’t gone into remission so fast (another upside to attempting tight regulation: over 80% chances of remission if you do it in the first six months), I might have considered switching to Prozinc. All insulines work best on a regular schedule, but some are more forgiving than others, and Lantus is not one of them.

You might want to check “start low, go slow” (there’s a sticky), which is a dosing method largely based on doing a curve a week to adjust the dose. Regulation may not be as tight as with TR but it might give you some helpful guidelines. But it won’t help you regarding changing shot times, and I personally have no experience with that to share.

LuvinThisPig and Kris & Teasel like this.
  11. Kathy and TiTi

Kathy and TiTi Well-Known Member

I am so glad you've got a new job. Even tho' the hours stink, having money is so very heartening! I did contract work for decades. Feast or famine was my fate. There's good pay and lots of freedom with contract work, but the stress of being in between jobs stresses like nothing much else can.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.