New Member, 4/21/20, Frustrated that numbers are high

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kristy & Bisbee, Apr 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kristy & Bisbee

Kristy & Bisbee Member

Hi, my name is Kristy and my cat 8-year-old cat Bisbee was diagnosed with FD on 3/20/20. He had lost a significant amount of weight so blood work, x rays, and urinalysis were run. His bloodwork showed 394 on Glucose, 3+ on urine glucose strip, and a trace of ketones which led to his diagnosis.

The vet started him on 2 units of Vetsulin twice a day. A week later we went in for a blood test and it 415 so he bumped him to 2 units twice a day. A week later I took him to the vets for a curve. The vet gave 4 units (instead of 3 like I had been doing all week). The vet said his numbers were still to high so bumped it to 5 units twice a day. A week later I took him in and his BG was 535 pre-insulin. He had me bring him back later in the day and it was still high. He mentioned that he might be insulin resistant and that we might need to test for acromegaly and that we will probably have to switch to Lantus. He told me to bump it back down to 3 units and come back in a week. Since joining this group I’ve learned Lantus is probably a better insulin but it is also so much more expensive. I left the vets office feeling lost and confused, then I found this group.

I spent hours reading through post, learning about appropriate food, how important at home testing in, and so much more. I am so thankful that I stumbled across this group. I went out the next day and purchased a Relion Premier test kit and started home testing. I also took away most of Bisbee’s dry food which he isn’t happy about. This has also been stressful for me because there are 4 cats in the house who are all use to have free access to dry food all day). I went out and bought Fancy Feast pate. I started my spreadsheet. I decided maybe his starting dose was to high so instead of doing 3 units like vet recommended I went down to 2 and then to 1.5 (some cycles 1.25 if pre-shot numbers were lower). His numbers were looking better but still not good. So, then I decided to bump it up again and thought maybe I should have listened to the vet. Unfortunately, it seems the more units I give him the higher his BG goes. Now I’m thinking I should have lowered his units instead of raised them. At this point I’m so frustrated and confused. I’m not sure if I should be raising his dose, lowering his dose, giving up on this insulin and switching kinds, etc.

This forum has been amazing so far. I have learned so much and am so thankful that there are people out there that I can ask for help and guidance. Sorry this is so long. Hopefully I posted it in the correct spot and linked Bisbee's spread sheet correctly.

2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Im in the middle of fixing dinner but wanted to say welcome! AND wow very impressive you are on the right track.
    Please hold on for more replies. and again WELCOME TO FDMB!

3. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

You have done so much already! The hardest part I think is “breaking free” from vet advice and understanding they may not know as much about FD as we hoped they would. Others more experienced will chime in, but I know Minnie kept getting bumped up to and at one point she was on 9 units a day, 4 and 5, and still high BG. She’s been getting less and less gradually and now at 3.5 twice a day she seems to be at the right dose for her. I think Lantus is better, way bette but don’t despair about the price, folks will point you to a pharmacy in Canada that prices if at 1/3 of the cost here. If they have a stock issue, there is also a coupon for Walgreens I believe and it cuts the price down to about $60 per Lantus pen.

hold on and welcome!!! :)

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Most of us are buying it from Canada because it's 1/3 to 1/2 the price! You can also save by having your vet write for "Glargine" instead of Lantus so you can buy Basaglar (also Glargine insulin, just a little cheaper!)

Here's the info on Buying insulin from Canada

5. Kristy & Bisbee

Kristy & Bisbee Member

Thank you so much for the information about buying Lantus from Canada. I will keep that in mind for the future. Unfortunately I don't think it would work for me right now. I'm afraid with the shipping delay because of Covid 19 and the high temps where I live (we are in the 100's every day this week) that the insulin will get to hot. I will ask the vet about Basaglar for now.

Also, I read a lot of different stuff about timing of insulin and feeding. I've read it is best to give the insulin and food at the same time and I've read that you should feed then wait 20 to 30 minutes to give the insulin (this what I've been doing). What have you guys found works best?

6. jt and trouble (GA)

Ive been looking for the right forum to direct you...sigh I'm either reading too fast or just plain DULL.I'll keep looking.

Deb & Wink and Kristy & Bisbee like this.
  7. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Yes with Vetsulin you test, feed ,wait 20 to 30 minutes then give insulin

8. jt and trouble (GA)

THANK YOU Diane smh sometimes I feel so...stooopit. :p

Deb & Wink likes this.
  9. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

It shouldn't be a problem. They are very careful about shipping and have been dealing with shipping insulin to the US for many years. The first time I ordered from them it was the end of June. I was almost out so I had no choice. There were 2 holidays (4th of July and Canada Day) plus a weekend so my first order of pens took 10 days to get to Missouri....in 90+ degree heat the whole time.

I was still able to use every drop of insulin in all 5 pens.

They ship to south Texas, Arizona, New Mexico and Southern California all the time. They use a special insulated envelope and medical grade ice packs....you can also add a small cooler for extra safety! All shipments also come with a temperature gauge on the insulin which will show you if it spent any time over 80 degrees and if so, how long.

Kristy & Bisbee and Deb & Wink like this.
  10. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

You are not stupid,we can't remember everything:cat:

11. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Depends on the insulin being used.

The reason for the 20 minute delay in the dosing cycle for Vetsulin (Caninsulin), is so that the food has some time to start being digested and get into the bloodstream, before the faster onset of this insulin. So the delay you have been doing is the right thing to do.

Other insulins, like the NPH insulins, have an even longer delay between test, feed and shoot with 60 minutes being the recommended time between feeding and giving the insulin.

With Prozinc, lantus (basaglar) levemir, there is no need for a delay, since those insulins have a later onset, or when they start working.

p.s. Jeanne, I can never remember what smh means and have to look it up every single time. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.