New member with diabetic male cat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Johndooley, Jul 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johndooley

Johndooley Member

Hello. We really need some help. We have a male domestic short hair " trouble "who is 9, and we just found out he has diabetes . We started him out with 4 units twice a day...per our vets recommendations . HE WONT DRINK NOW, and WONT EAT ANYTHING BUT DRY TREATS....We are so worried about dehydration and the fact he only eats treats. We have tried several wet foods, and he's shot them all down instantly! We both are depressed , and my wife is beside herself ,crying every day . We have no clue what to do. He was eating dry food and drinking a ton of water before we had him tested. FYI. Now that we have been giving shots for five days....zilch!
    Info. Insulin is NPH human
    4 units since last Tuesday the 6th
    He gets 2 a day. 6am. 6pm
    Weight. 13 1/2 pounds
    No other health issues...We were feeding science diet sensitive stomach dry food. He has not peed for full day...no poop for 2 days . He is lethargic compared to normal and just isn't the same old boy we are used to.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
    Reason for edit: More info
  2. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

My goodness sorry to hear that Trouble is not doing well and sounds like neither are you guys. Let me tag someone with mire experience than myself.
    You have come to the right place.
    @Wendy&Neko

3. Alexi

Alexi Member

Hello and welcome. Can you give us some more information?
    What insulin are you using and how long has he been at that dose?
    How much does Trouble weigh?
    Does he have any other health problems?
    What are you feeding him?
    How is he now, any lethargy, peeing and pooping as normal or is he behaving strangely, if so, how?

Lots of help and advice available here, feeling stressed and worried at this stage is normal but plenty of experienced folk who can guide you through this.

DebG likes this.
  4. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

There are several things you can do, John, that will help Trouble. One, get a human meter and test his levels at home. Lots of people here use ReliOn meters from Walmart. It's the cheapest alternate. It is not the meter that is expensive; it's the strips which you use a lot. Once you know what his numbers are, you can keep him in safe levels.

What was he eating before? Wet low carb is best, but he needs to eat and drink. Does he act like he is in pain? You can syringe water in his mouth, using a needle free syringe - into the corner of his mouth.

5. Johndooley

Johndooley Member

I have just updated more info on my original thread

6. Johndooley

Johndooley Member

We have ordered a tester from Amazon which will be here Tuesday but it seems like maybe we should go to Walmart get a tester right away to see what his levels are is that your opinion as well ? We have never tested his levels by poking his ear we're not sure if he will tolerate that. We did watch a video from a vet on how to do it though. OUR MAIN CONCERN IS THE EATING AND DRINKING

7. Alexi

Alexi Member

I am not familiar with your insulin but 4 units twice a day is a large starting dose. @Larry and Kitties may be able to help with more advice on that. I am concerned Trouble's glucose is too low, especially if he is not eating, for now feed him whatever he will eat and try syringing water into him. I am not in the US but many users use the Relion brand glucometer and you need one that uses a small amount of blood, buy testing strips and karo syrup or honey as well. Can you post on the main health forum with a 911 prefix to your post and a link to this thread, and you should get some fast advice there. Syringe water into the side of his mouth, slowly, to encourage him to drink, if he is dehydrated he won't feel like eating.

ETA I think I misread your initial post can you confirm how much insulin he is getting?

8. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

He needs to eat, especially with insulin in him. I would follow Sue's suggestion and get some food and water in via syringe. You can always blend some wet food with water to make it thin enough to syringe. You can buy syringes from most pet stores, or get a baby syringe from a pharmacy if you don't have one.

If you can't find the Relion Confirm or Micro meter and strips, get one that needs the smallest drop of blood and reasonable priced strips for now.

Edited to add: the folks on the Health Forum can help you with testing tips and feeding.

9. Johndooley

Johndooley Member

Ok. We are on way to get meter and strips from Walmart.

10. Johndooley

Johndooley Member

Not sure how to link my post. But did find main health and how to add prefix

11. Alexi

Alexi Member

I will post the link for you. Go to Walwart :bighug:

12. Johndooley

Johndooley Member

Thanks

13. Johndooley

Johndooley Member

His level now is 258. Is that good or bad

14. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Not a terrible number. How long since the shot?

John, I would be very concerned about the constipation and no peeing. If you can't get some food/water in him, I think I would take him to the vet.

15. Johndooley

Johndooley Member

He has not had a shot since 6 am. We did not want to give him his second tonight at 6 because of the lack of food and no water.

16. Johndooley

Johndooley Member

He's eaten some dry treats and sour cream but that's it.

17. Sue and Oliver (GA)

I'll post on your Health thread.

18. Johndooley

Johndooley Member

We are probably going to take him to a vet tonight. He finally peed but has not drank anything but the two siringes full we gave him.

19. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.