New to forum

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by DebG, Apr 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

New and confused like I'm sure most of you were when you found out your kitty was diagnosed with diabetes.
    My name is Debbie and my kitty is Fritz an almost 9 year old Russian Blue.
    I'm frustrated with this whole process, I travel a lot and not able to see one vet. Which doesn't seem to matter so far, we have been to two offices with very different limited thoughts on how to treat diabetes.
    Fritz was put on Lantus 3 units on Feb 11th and after month ending up on 4 units and a vet that kept telling me I couldn't do home testing and finally after her assistants not being able to do gb tests called me and asked if I'd hold my cat down while they attempt to draw blood, she finally gave in and ordered me a kit. I left that office and took him to a vet that he'd seen in the past.
    They took him off Lantus put him on Prozinc. Since March 24th I've been doing the sliding scale. His numbers are all over the place. I am doing a curve today so far his Amps was 254. +2 was 246. +4 is 299. I've noticed the last three days within an hour and a half after his morning injection he is constantly meowing until I give him a little food.
    I've been researching everything I can, and now I'm very confused and don't feel I can turn to the last two vets for help.
    I would appreciate any help I can receive from the members.
    I will be in Washington state most of the summer and if anyone knows if a good vet to go to in that state please let me know.
    Also I don't know what to do with the information I get from his curve?????
    I need to mention he also has asthma and the same day I started him on Prozinc I had to put him on Predisolone which he's being tapered off, I know that can raise his gb so hoping with him off steroids except his flovent inhaler gbs will lower.
    I'm dissapointed that his insulin appears to wear off in less than 4 hours.
    We need help!
    Thanks!

2. Mum of two felines

Mum of two felines Member

Welcome to the best place you never wanted to be! But, I do understand your frustration, we've all been here. After being on this board and reading about Lantus, which a lot of members here think is the best insulin, I think maybe your vet started on too high of dose.

We test before each shot and periodically between shots. We record our reading and other info in a spreadsheet.
    See:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

What are you feeding? A low-carb canned is best. No reason for a prescription food. Here is a list of commercial low-carb canned

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/shortcut-shopping-list-all-8-or-less-updated.117688/

For detailed question post the Health forum:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/

3. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

Hello Mum of two felines.
    I appreciate your reply!
    I make my own cat food with the recipe from Lisa Pierson . I add a tiny bit of Fancy Feast classic chicken to make sure he gets a tad bit of carbs.
    Thank you I'll try and post on the health section.
    I am also new with the forum stuff. Kinda like teaching an old dog new tricks. I'm not very good on the computer, buy I am very teachable.
    Have a nice day! I hope your two kitties are doing well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.