New to the Diabetic world

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Irene, Feb 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Irene

Irene New Member

Hello. My name is Irene and I have a domestic short haired cat (14 yrs old) who has been recently dignosed with Diabetes. He also has epilepsy and it currently taking 3 medications: Kepra, Phenobarbital and a steriod. My heart is broken with this new dignose. I don't know if I am doing the right thing adding ANOTHER medication. I am waiting for the Vet to call me today for the next step but he has mentioned Insulin twice a day. But, he mentioned we might have a problem controlling it because of the steriod.

Does anyone have any opinions or going through the same issues? Right now he seems out of it from the medication and has been hissing and growling lately. I do not want to give him Insulin. When they ran bloodwork I told them to check his levels because he was unrinating alot. They came back at 266, so no I am waiting for the results from the Diabetes bloodwork....$$$$

Thanks!

Irene

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Welcome, 266 is not that high of a BG. Maybe cats when diagnosed have BG greater than 400.
    It is likely that the steroid induced the diabetics. What specific steroid and what is the dose? Is it forever?
    What are you feeding? A low-carb canned is best. Not reason for a prescription food. Here is a listing of such foods
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...st-all-8-or-less-updated.117688/#post-1379279
    If the food does not work then insulin is required. It is easy to give shot for almost every cat. Good insulins are the human Lantus and Levemir and pet ProZinc and BCP PZI
    Most of use here when oin insulin test or cats' BG before each shot using a human meter. We record the BGs, dose and other things in a spreadsheet that can be viewed by others. Here is how to setup the spreadsheet
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...te-a-ss-and-link-it-in-your-signature.130337/

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

While it is true that steroids may increase the glucose and the insulin needed to control it, it can be done with some patience and persistence.

4. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Do you know what test the vet ran to test the glucose levels? Was it the fructosomine test? That gives an average level over several days and is more accurate. If you received the results back immediately, I suspect it may have been a simple glucose test and the diabetes diagnosis may not be accurate. An infection or even vet stress can significantly raise glucose levels. 266 is not too high. Do you know if your vet also checked for an infection like a UTI?

Steroids can induce diabetes. Diet also affects glucose levels. My recommendation would be to first change your cat's diet over to a low carb/high protein canned food and remove any dry food from his diet. I also suggest you learn to home test. This means using a glucose meter to test a drop of blood before he eats. You can use a human meter and an inexpensive one that works well in the Walrmart Relion Confirm or Micro meters. If the diet change does not work, then you may need insulin. Also, if he does have an infection, as it clears, you also should see a drop in the glucose levels.

If he does have diabetes, your insulin dose may need to be higher than most cats. However, our suggestion is still to start low & slow. This means start at a low dose such as 1 unit twice a day. Stay at this dose for at least a week and test before every shot. After a week, you will have enough data to determine if the dose needs to be increased. If so, increase by 1/2 unit and wait another week with testing before determining if it still needs to be increased. The goal is to find the optimal dose to manage the glucose levels. Start with too high of a dose you could miss the optimal dose and possibly risk hypoglycemia.

Caring for a diabetic cat is not difficult. I can understand what you are dealing with. At one time I had a dog with epsilepsy and two diabetic cats at the same time. It adds a few extra things to do each day, but it is managable.

5. Irene

Irene New Member

Thank you everyone fro your responses. The vet called and said the results from the Fructosomine Test showed his level at 452. The normal range is between 14-450. We are not going to do the insulin (Thank goodness). He wants to recheck him in a month. I had to ask him if we should change his diet. You would think HE would have suggested it!! (was very angry he didn't). His answer was, "it is up to you. We carry Science Diet DM. But you need a script". This is the first time in 5 years have I not like him. Very disappointed. Any suggestions on Grain free food I can switch him too? I am not getting the Science Diet DM.

Critter Mom likes this.
  6. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi Irene,

That's good news about the fructosamine still just about being in the normal range. A lower carb diet may reduce that further.

What is your kitty eating at the moment?
    Here is a list of lower carb wet foods (put together by FDMB member Rhiannon):
    Shortcut Shopping List - all 8% or less Updated

Many of us have found our vets to be sadly lacking when it comes to treating feline diabetes. But most vets are generalists, with many species to deal with and many ailments to treat. So, I guess they can't all be good at everything...
    Like some other folks here I have learned to just 'nod and smile' at my vet's suggestions regarding treatment of my diabetic cat; and then I go home and do what I think is best for my cat... I wish it wasn't like that though. I wish he understood that things like hometesting and low carb diets are vitally important for diabetic cats. But he doesn't understand, and that's that....
    I still really like my vet though. In all other respects he seems to be a very good vet. He has looked after some of my animals extremely well. He's shown great compassion. He's one of the 'good guys'. So, I try to overlook that he doesn't understand feline diabetes better.
    I hope - if your vet is also 'one of the good guys' - that your disappointment in him will be short-lived. ;)

Hugs to you,

Eliz

Critter Mom likes this.
  7. Irene

Irene New Member

Thanks. He is one of the good guys. Lol he has been eating fancy feast from day one. He is 14 now. I have been trying other brands thinking its better for him but only to find out its not when I found out about his sugar levels. Now I am reading no dry food. He is also eating Purina One wet food.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.