New to the forums!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by tigertail, Nov 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tigertail

tigertail New Member

Hi there!

I have a cat that has been diabetic for a little while now and I am struggling to get his blood glucose/insulin dosage regulated. After becoming frustrated with my vet and various resources, I was directed to these forums. Any support is really appreciated!

I have 2 cats, but the oldest is diabetic. (I am also trying to improve both their diets so my second cat isn't next). I am a recent graduate, and I have had these cats since I was little, so the diabetes has stressed me out a lot. I studied Wildlife Biology & Conservation, had previously wanted to be a vet but now working in wildlife rehabilitation. Basically, I love animals which I'm sure is something in common with the lot of you!

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Welcome.
    Good insulin are the human Lantus and Levemir and the pet insulins ProZinc and BCP PZI. For those two human insulin it is best to get the 5 pack of 3 ml disposable pens via a 10 ml vial. Although per ml the vial is less expensive most cats will not use up a 10 ml vial before the insulin goes bad/becomes ineffective. The human insulin N/NPH is sometimes prescribed but only lasts 8-10 hours. Same for the pet insulin Vetsulin/Caninisulin.
    Most of us here test or cats blood glucose at home using a human meter. We test before each shot and periodically between shots. We record our reading and other info in a spreadsheet. See:http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...te-a-ss-and-link-it-in-your-signature.130337/
    What are you feeding? A low-carb canned is best. No reason for a prescription food. Here is a list of commercial low-carb cannedhttp://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/shortcut-shopping-list-all-8-or-less-updated.117688/

Here is a link to home testing blood sugarshttp://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/

3. tigertail

tigertail New Member

Hi, thanks for the welcome!

I use Lantus and buy the vial. I also do home testing using an accuchek monitor. I used to feed my cats prescription food because it is what my vet prescribed but now I have switched them on to Nutro canned food (Chunky Loaf chicken which I've heard is 2% carbs or less). I have already seen a little improvement in my cat's condition, which is why I'm having to re-regulate the insulin dosage. This morning it was a lot lower than normal, so really hoping this means he's going into remission. I have my profile written up in my signature if you are curious of any other info!

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Check out the nutrition info and food list at Cat Info. The site is written by Dr Lisa Pierson, DVM.

5. tigertail

tigertail New Member

That's what lead me to these forums, actually!

6. Shankb

Shankb Member

Hi & Welcome. I just wanted to say I love your avatar!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.