Newbie- Help!!! Hypo support

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Amyitsallgood, Apr 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amyitsallgood

Amyitsallgood Member

Hi my name is Amy and my kitty Delilah (aka Beast) was diagnosed with diabetes last Monday (30 Mar 2015) after I had the vet send in the CBC because I could smell Ketones on her breath. I had been smelling them for awhile but wasn’t sure what it was till now. On Wed I took her in for them to do the initial curve and give me a dose. They only took 3 BG because she is a feisty little thing! They told me to dose 2 units of Lantus every twelve hours. I’ve been doing a lot of research on my spare time (which isn’t a whole lot with two small children) and it wasn’t till yesterday that I broke down and bought a glucometer. I bought it because I knew I wanted to start her on an even lower carb diet as recommended by Lisa A Pierson, DVM. I should mention the first couple days the vet gave me royal canin diabetic food, than switched to hills m/d. I have been feeding her ¼ a can and giving her the 2 units at 7am and 7pm (or as close as I could manage). So yesterday I tested right after I bought the glucometer at about 2:30pm, her BG was 31!!! She was not and is still not today showing any signs of hypoglycemia. I take that back she is ravenously hungry! So after I tested her yesterday afternoon (I was freaking out a little), I gave her a 3oz can of canin hills. At her 7pm shot time I started to try to get a BG at 6:30. I wasn’t having any luck and getting pretty frustrated. By 7:15 I just decided to give her the lantus and a 3oz can of royal canin. Big Mistake… about 5 mins later I finally got a BD it was 37 . I knew I needed to continue to test her last night and I tried pretty much all night but couldn’t get another blood sample. I feed her extra food and kept a close eye on her till I went to bed. This morning a got a BG of 32, I did not give her the lantus and just feed her one of the Fancy Feast I bought yesterday (tender beef and chicken feast). I know I need to get her to the vet… I’ve just lost a lot of faith in them…and also I’m already in over my head $$$ wise already. My husband doesn’t support all the spending on her. I could really use some advice and support! I also know I should be getting BGs but it took me a half hour to get the one this morning and I hate torturing my Kitty!!!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  2. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Ok exactly how many hours ago did you give insulin and how much?

3. Amyitsallgood

Amyitsallgood Member

2 units at 7:15pm last night
    also 2 units yesterday morning at 7am​

4. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Do you have any higher carb food in the house -- such as Fancy Feast Gravy lovers?

You can feed her 1-2 tsp of the gravy portion only of the food
    Test in 30 minutes
    and repeat as necessary

If you don't have high carb food, you can use any simple sugar - karo, syrup, even take white table sugar and dissolve in water and syringe that into her

It will get her BG 's up, but may not keep them up.

The key is knowing how long since last insulin

5. Amyitsallgood

Amyitsallgood Member

and everyday before that since her diagnosis... Thanks for replying!!!

6. Hillary & Maui (GA)

OK - nobody mentioned that you don't give insulin below a certain BG level?

7. Hillary & Maui (GA)

alright - we will get through this -- you need to be testing her bg every 15-30 minutes and we need to get it up
    the key is feeding the higher carb food (or gravy preferred) as you don't want to overstuff her and get her full that she won't eat.

You need to test
    feed
    test again

and we need to see three consecutive rising numbers to know that she is out of danger

8. Amyitsallgood

Amyitsallgood Member

I'm having trouble getting blood after I freehand stick her... I feel like her ears are all tore up... any advice on getting the ears to bleed better? I'm using a warmed up baby sock with rice already.

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  9. Hillary & Maui (GA)

10. Hillary & Maui (GA)

TREATMENT

During treatment for hypoglycemia, try to test every 15 - 20 minutes until you see the bgs begin to rise. Then continue to test until you are satisfied that the cat is out of danger.

VERY LOW NUMBERS – WITHOUT SYMPTOMS
    Retest glucose using a large blood sample to make certain you have enough blood, and if you still get a very low number (under 40 mg/dL or 1.9 – 2.2 mmol/L) administer a teaspoon of corn syrup, liquid glucose, pancake syrup or honey, or INSTA-GLUCOSE and follow with food until the blood glucose numbers rise to acceptable levels. The syrup can be mixed with wet food or poured over dry if the cat will eat the mixture. If using liquid glucose, dilute with water for a thinner consistency.

11. Amyitsallgood

Amyitsallgood Member

Alright.... my husband isn't gonna like it but I think I'm just gonna have to take her to the vet. There is no way I'm gonna be able to get a sample every 15 min. it took me a half hour to get the one this morning :(

12. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi,

Can you please clarify:
    How many hours ago did you give insulin? (We may be in different time zones).

13. Hillary & Maui (GA)

ok first calm down.

When freehanding, I found that it was easier to go in at an angle, not straight on like piercing. see this pic

You can massage or "milk" the ear to get blood flowing. You can even poke several times to get it flowing

Also you can use petroleum jelly on ear (massage it on) and it will bead up any blood and make it easier for testing.

What meter are you using? As some meters require large samples and others don't

Attached Files:

14. Hillary & Maui (GA)

She's in TX -- which means if she shot at 7 pm and 7 am - she gave insulin about 4 hours ago

15. Amyitsallgood

Amyitsallgood Member

i bought a reliOn confirm, it takes small samples of .03.

16. Elizabeth and Bertie

Do you think it's 4 hours since the shot, Hillary? I wasn't sure if she was saying that she'd not given insulin this morning? I'm a bit confused...

17. Amyitsallgood

Amyitsallgood Member

no i didn't give insulin this morning... so its been about 16 hrs now...

18. Amyitsallgood

Amyitsallgood Member

going back to a previous question... On hand i have the meow mix she eat before diagnosis, dry royal canin diabetic, and the low carb fancy feast mixes i bought yesterday. when i tried getting a sample about a half hour ago I let her munch on the dry canin (but she doesn't like it much)

19. Elizabeth and Bertie

Aha....
    Then you should, hopefully, start to see the blood glucose come up now.
    Amy, are you able to get another test?
    Delilah's ears will recover, I promise. And she will forgive you. It may help if you tell her that you're testing her to try to keep her safe. ;)

mirnta likes this.
  20. Amyitsallgood

Amyitsallgood Member

sorry if its long before replies. i have a two-year old under foot. I'm gonna try testing again

21. Elizabeth and Bertie

Things that can help to get a blood sample are:
    1. Warming the ear.
    2. Putting a little pressure on the underside of the ear, opposite to where you're pricking. The lancet needs something to resist otherwise it can push the ear away rather than prick it. Some folks use a piece of folded tissue or some cotton wool, but I just use my finger (and sometimes get blood from myself that way...)
    3. Massaging immediately below the ear prick can 'milk' out a little more blood.
    4. Two ear pricks close together may get enough blood for a test where one ear prick might not.
    5. A teesny weensy smear of vaseline on the outer edge of the ear can help the blood to 'bead up' rather than disappear into the fur.

Sending you 'good hometesting vibes'!

22. Amyitsallgood

Amyitsallgood Member

AAAHHHH! Hallelujah! We are both bleeding but i got one. BG is 62. Where do i go from here?

mirnta likes this.
  23. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Sorry - the board crashed and just came back online.

OK - she is out of the danger zone. What you want to do is give her some wet food only - if you don't have any higher carb wet food - then take a tsp of the low carb and give her that. As long as her BG stays above 50, you are not in danger.

As for whether to give insulin later or not, well that is something we will need to see, as you test throughout the day. And if insulin is given, she gets a reduced dose.

Normally we recommend a starting dose of 1 unit or even 1/2 unit. Never do we start with 2 units at a time.

24. Amyitsallgood

Amyitsallgood Member

Dang vet! So as I tested I gave her about a 1/2 tbs of the FF beef and chicken feast. How often should I try to torture her and I?

25. Elizabeth and Bertie

Well done for getting that test. Yay! :cat:

It will be interesting to see what Delilah's blood glucose level is later on....

We recommend that, as a minimum, folks test the blood glucose before every insulin shot.
    And the general recommendation for those new to dealing with diabetes (or who don't have much hometesting data) is that no shot is given if the pre-shot blood glucose is below 200.
    Do post back here later on for advice on insulin dosage (when Delilah's next shot is due.)

Besides the pre-shot test, it is also helpful to get another test or two during the insulin cycle - if possible - to see how low the blood glucose is dropping.
    Lantus dosing is worked out according to the lowest number of the cycle.

Hometesting should become easier for you with just a little practice.
    Are you rewarding Delilah with treats after the tests?

Eliz

26. Hillary & Maui (GA)

every 30 minutes
    until you see either 3 consecutive rising numbers or staying steady numbers in the 60 range

then you can leave her be until getting closer to shot time, which you may be skipping

as a newbie, we also suggest a shoot/no shoot number of 200 - meaning if the bg is under that, you may want to skip the shot. As you get more comfortable and familiar with home testing and giving insulin, you can lower this number and eliminate altogether -- usually you only have it for the couple days, maybe a week.

given how low she went, a couple things may happen:

1) she may go very high as a result of the dry food you gave her and that can take a couple days to get out of her system -- in which case, you may want to give some insulin

2) she may stay within normal BG range in which you would then most likely skip the shot.

I suggest that when you do give insulin again, that you start over at a safe dose of 1/2 unit or 1 unit max.

AND given that she had ketones - you need to be doubly careful as you don't want her to have ketones again and it turning into DKA - which means a potentially lengthy vet stay.

OK - please answer some questions -

what insulin are you using?
    what syringe are you using? does it have 1/2 unit markings?

27. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

I do not think this cat needs insulin. last shot last night and numbers are great. I would leave her alone and test again when next shot would have been due.. at 7PM tonight and we can take it from there.. IF any insulin is needed, I do not think more than 1/2u should be given but please post first with numbers.

you can put a little neosporin on her ears for healing. just a little and rub it around. and after testing, put a little pressure on the spot for a few seconds.

also, you can put the drop of blood on your finger and test it from there if you have a fidgety kitty

28. dian and wheezer

I would also think the vet would have kept kitty if ketones, whatchya think HIL. small or whatever would need flushed.

add some water to her lo carb food also. this will
    help keep ketones flushed out

29. Amyitsallgood

Amyitsallgood Member

Thank you all so much for your support!!! I will definetly get a BG at 7 tonight and post the result here before i do anything. I might also try to get a couple BG before then too but we'll see how much I feel like torturing myself! What kind of treats do you reccomend giving her after tests?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  30. Amyitsallgood

Amyitsallgood Member

Is it possible to still have ketones and have such low BGs?

31. Amyitsallgood

Amyitsallgood Member

So we are using Lantus garline insulin. The syringes unfortunately do not have 1/2 unit markings. they are U-100 UltiCare for 30 units or less 29 Gauge

32. dian and wheezer

someone can post the treats as there are many but I use freeze dried chicken. I buy on line and it is the dog ones. more bang for the buck. can also give bonito flakes.

I have seen cats have ketones with lower BG but usually something else is causing it. some infection somewhere but usually it takes 3 things, high BG, not eating and not enough insulin, sometimes infection also

33. dian and wheezer

ts see where bg goes and it may be worth investing in 1/2u syringes. I have used relion from walmart. sometimes they do not know they carry the 1/2 unit ones

34. Lori & Lulu

Lori & Lulu Well-Known Member

I am a newbie and cannot really offer advice, only encouragement. With the advice of the experienced members of this forum, getting blood does get easier, truly it does. I was in tears the first several days, but now I seem to be able to get some just about every time I try.
    Take care, thinking of you guys.

mirnta and Elizabeth and Bertie like this.
  35. Amyitsallgood

Amyitsallgood Member

Also I have some questions about how much and what I should be feeding her. Yesterday I bought several varieties of the low carb FF that are recommended on Dr. Lynne's wet food shopping list. Is it ok to feed her all the different varieties of FF or should i stick to just one, for example only feed her beef and chicken feast or is it ok to switch it up every meal? Also do I feed her the whole 3oz can at one meal? Before she was diagnosed she had lost some weight, I think she now weighs about 8.9 lbs

36. Amyitsallgood

Amyitsallgood Member

Thanks for the encouragement Lori & Lulu!

37. Amyitsallgood

Amyitsallgood Member

More Questions??? Is it worth it to buy the monitor that tests for both BG and Ketones. It looks like I need to at least buy the stripes to test the urine? If she still has ketones is the only way to get rid of them a lengthy and $$$ vet stay?

38. dian and wheezer

yes, you can mix and match all low carb FF. accordind to dr. lisa. 6 oz is a normal amount in a day. too fat, feed less, too skinny feed more

now, you can divide that 6oz up any way you like and feed several small feedings a day. this helps the pancreas by not having to work so hard eating a large meal. I was never home all day, so mine only got 2 meals a day.

unless your cat is really prone to ketones, I do not think I would get a meter like that. most here use the relion confirm or prime as the strips are the mot affordable.

as long as you have her numbers good and the right insulin and she is eating ok, ketones are low on the list.

remember to add water to her food. mine liked it really soupy and I make my own homemade food

39. dian and wheezer

on the ketones, $$$$ depends on how sick she gets with them. some may get a small on the strips and in a matter of hours go to large and needs emergency RX. but adding water to food and keeping everything else in balance should help.
    if she is prone to ketones, then it is a possibility any infection could trigger them because that will raise BG and then not eating and not enough insulin. comes round to full circle
    follow me?

40. Amyitsallgood

Amyitsallgood Member

Awesome. thanks for clearing that up for me!

41. dian and wheezer

42. Amyitsallgood

Amyitsallgood Member

Really appreciate all the answers and support! thank you!

43. Hillary & Maui (GA)

OK - to answer your questions -

What kind of treats do you reccomend giving her after tests?

here is a link to a list of low carb healthy treats -- you can even use baked, boiled or rotisserie chicken (just no seasonings on the part you give her). Canned tuna works too.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/list-of-low-carb-healthy-treats.9172/

Is it possible to still have ketones and have such low BGs?

Anything is possible. It's probably unlikely, but it can happen. This is why you will want to test for ketones, if possible once a day is enough.

Is it worth it to buy the monitor that tests for both BG and Ketones. It looks like I need to at least buy the stripes to test the urine?

PErsonally, those meters are very expensive and you can just purchase ketostix or keto diastix at the pharmacy (usually in the diabetes section). Then you would need to stalk the litter box and catch her either while she is peeing, or set up the litterbox to capture the pee before it goes into the litter. Such as putting plastic wrap on to of the litter.

If she still has ketones is the only way to get rid of them a lengthy and $$$ vet stay?

Not necessarily, all the vet will do is flush them with IV fluids, you can do same at home by adding water to the food (I add anywhere from 1/2 can to 1 full can of water to food) and if necessary, getting the vet to write you a scrip for subQ fluids that you can administer at home to flush the ketones out.

Also I have some questions about how much and what I should be feeding her. Yesterday I bought several varieties of the low carb FF that are recommended on Dr. Lynne's wet food shopping list. Is it ok to feed her all the different varieties of FF or should i stick to just one, for example only feed her beef and chicken feast or is it ok to switch it up every meal? Also do I feed her the whole 3oz can at one meal?

Unregulated diabetes, will be very hungry and will require more than the normal amount of food. Once the bg's regulate that need for extra food will diminish.

For example, when Maui was diagnosed she could eat 2-3 cans of FF at one time, 3 times a day. As she got regulated she would eat 1/2 - 1 can at a time (all with full can of water added).

Many people find feeding several smaller meals works best to maintain steady bg levels. I put out food twice a day - as my cats are grazers and will eat it throughout the day, rather than eat a full meal.

There are all kinds of formulas and calculations for determine just how much food to give. Personally, I let Maui eat as much as she needed/wanted and then it slowed down to her eating up to 2 cans a day.

44. Hillary & Maui (GA)

45. Amyitsallgood

Amyitsallgood Member

I like the thought of her being able to eat when and how much she wants. I feel like I've been starving her since this whole thing started. But then my question is won't the amount of insulin she needs very a lot from day to day? But I guess thats the whole point of home testing, right?

46. Elizabeth and Bertie

Regarding ketones, I would strongly suggest that you do get some Ketodiastix (or generic equivalent) and test Delilah's pee. Crumpling plastic food wrap in the litter tray is a good way to catch a sample, and you only need a tiny amount for testing.
    Anything above a trace level is considered a reason for a vet visit ASAP.
    Some ketones, as you've found out, Amy, have a strong smell like acetone/peardrops; so you can also remain vigilant for that smell returning.

One advantage of the ketone blood testing meter is that it will show up ketones sooner. Ketones may be detected in the blood a few days before they can be detected in the urine. So, for a cat who is prone to ketones, a meter that tests the blood could be a useful tool and a sound investment.

Ketones can develop into a condition called diabetic ketoacidosis ('DKA') which is extremely dangerous and is expensive to treat.
    For an explanation of how that happens you may wish to have a look at this information sticky:
    Diabetic Ketoacidosis (DKA)

Eliz

47. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Exactly, you need to home test regularly to see just how she is doing and just like with people, when you eat, exercise, get excited, BG fluctuates, same with cats.

Feeding meals, lets you know for sure just how much she is eating or not eating. Yet, leaving food out, gives her the freedom to eat when she wants. And if her BG drops low, she will have access to food and can bring herself up with the food.

48. Amyitsallgood

Amyitsallgood Member

So I just poked my cat 4 times! She should have bled!!! How come I can't get a drop? Kitty is really angry now and I'm not sure what to do...

49. Amyitsallgood

Amyitsallgood Member

Maybe I should try the paw? Not sure how to do that though or how that would go over with Beast!

50. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

If you absolutely must get blood, aim directly for the ear vein near the edge. It may bleed profusely, so be prepared to get the droplet and blot firmly.

Also be sure to warm the ear to improve blood flow.

51. Amyitsallgood

Amyitsallgood Member

I feel like i'm aiming right for the vein and it still doesn't bleed! I watch all these video where they poke once and the ear gets a big ol drop. Not my cat! Even the techs at the vet only got 3 readings when she was there... maybe i see why they were discouraging home testing???

52. Amyitsallgood

Amyitsallgood Member

I'm using a 30g lancet... do I need to go buy 28 or 29 g ones? She does not allow me to do two pokes close together ... the first poke she yowls and pulls hard away

billysmom (GA) likes this.
  53. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

The alternate site testing lancets are 25-28 gauge; you are likely to have better luck with them.

54. Mitzelplik's Mom

Mitzelplik's Mom Member

I've never tried it but I know that some people have better luck with paw pad testing. You could try posting a new thread with that question. Hang in there, it WILL get easier. My kitty loves little pieces of baked chicken breast after her tests.

55. Amyitsallgood

Amyitsallgood Member

I got it!!!! Yeah! It only took an hour! Ha! so the number is 87. So no insulin tonight. Do I still need to worry about her going hypo? Its been about 24 hours since her last shot. Now do i just test again at 7am tomorrow morning and go from there? Is all the food she needs tonight the 3 oz FF?

56. Mitzelplik's Mom

Mitzelplik's Mom Member

Good job! She should be fine tonight since she's had no insulin for that long. Let us know how she's doing in the morning.

57. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

As long as she's had no insulin, you don't need to worry about going hypo.

I'd try the larger lancets (25-28 gauge).....as you poke more and more, the ears will grow new capillaries and become easier to get blood from. We call it "learning to bleed"

Here's a picture of where to aim, but anywhere you can get the test in is a good place! You can poke on either side (I prefer inside since there's less hair)
    sweet spot diagram.jpg

Here's something else you can work on....Most cats just plain don't like having their ears fooled with. Decide on one place in your home you want your "testing spot" to be. I liked the kitchen counter because it was at a good height and had 2 escape sides already blocked (due to the wall and the backsplash) but it can be anyplace that works for you....Even just a particular rug on the floor, as long as it's the same spot. Take her there as many times a day as you can and just give her ears a quick rub and then she gets a yummy treat (low carb of course). Find something she really likes! China's favorite was a little piece of baked chicken (she never liked the freeze dried stuff). As you do this more and more, she'll start to associate that spot with the treat and won't care what you're doing with her ears!

58. Amyitsallgood

Amyitsallgood Member

Phew! Thanks for your support! Amazing how much it helps!

59. Chris & China (GA)

You can also try Burrito wrapping....some cats fight being restrained worse than anything, so this is just something you can try and see how it works!

Another option (but it'll take time to get it and it's another cost) is the Cat In the Bag

60. Amyitsallgood

Amyitsallgood Member

Good resources, thanks. My cat for sure doesn't like it but my problem is more that it doesn't bleed once I poke. Guess tomorrow is another day to practice - yeah ;-) ha

61. Chris & China (GA)

It takes time to grow those new capillaries .....but in a couple of weeks she'll be bleeding like a pro!

62. Elizabeth and Bertie

Amy, that's a lovely run of 'green' numbers. :D
    It may be that Delilah's pancreas can produce enough insulin to cope with a low carb wet diet, but can't produce enough insulin for a diet that's higher in carbs.... Will be interesting to see what her blood glucose level is later on....

63. Amyitsallgood

Amyitsallgood Member

So AMPS is 157. So no shot now but do I need to recheck before PMPS or can i wait till then?

64. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Wait 30 minutes without feeding and re-test. You may be able to shoot a little late.

65. Amyitsallgood

Amyitsallgood Member

oohhh shoot I feed her! she had some canned chicken as a treat and then she eat about 1/2 can FF

66. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

So clearly 2 units is too much, since she was unshootable. When/if she gets back over 200 mg/dL, I would suggest trying 1.0 unit.

Calculation of Lantus starting dose:
    How much does she weigh?
    How much should she weigh?
    Convert that to kilograms (pounds/2.2)
    Multiply by 0.25
    Round down to nearest 0.25
    ... how does that compare to 2.0 units?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  67. Amyitsallgood

Amyitsallgood Member

HHHmmmm math :banghead: ok so she weighs 8.9 lbs. I'm not sure how much she should way???

68. Amyitsallgood

Amyitsallgood Member

ok yes... I see... I used say 9lbs cause she's a little skinny. 9 divided by 2.2= 4.09 then 4.09 x .25= 1.02 OK I get it 1 unit it is :)

69. Amyitsallgood

Amyitsallgood Member

So I'm a little confused about how often I need to be testing? Once I have to shoot the 1 unit I'll need to be around to test every 2 hrs correct?

70. Amyitsallgood

Amyitsallgood Member

Feeling stupid at this point! So I'm gonna really hope that she stays under 200 but thats probably to much to ask. Can someone explain to me what there plan of action might be at this point???

71. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

The testing is done
    1) at pre-shot
    2) whenever possible, at least once a week, between +5 to +7 hours post shot. more gives you better understanding of how the insulin is working
    3) a before bed test alerts you if she's heading too low and you need to intervene, or if you can relax and go to bed.
    4) an actual curve of tests from pre-shot to pre-shot, every 2 hours is helpful when you can't get mid-cycle tests very often.

72. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

The plan of action now is to check before meals. If she's over 200 mg/dL, give 1 unit.
    And read up on Lantus and how it works in the Lantus forum.

73. Amyitsallgood

Amyitsallgood Member

Ok so now it is ok to just check at 8pm before I feed her tonight. If its over 200 and I need to give her insulin then I'll need to test before bed... and do i need to test again at +6 (2am)? Also usually she eats the whole 3 oz can of FF but this morning is the first time she hasn't. Do I leave the rest of the meal out for her to munch on when she's hungry or will that mess things up?

74. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Yes, check tonight before feeding.
    Testing before bed is fine.
    You can test at +6 if you want although most folks try to do that during the day.
    You can leave her food out to graze; that is actually better for the glucose levels. Pick it up 2 hours before the evening meal/test.

75. Amyitsallgood

Amyitsallgood Member

OK good deal. Thank you so much for your help!!!

76. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

When you have a moment, could you add a few tidbits to your signature? It will help us give you feedback without having to go look in all your past posts.

Editing your Signature

In the upper right corner of the screen, within the dark blue bar, you will see ID, Inbox, and Alerts

Click on your ID.

On the left, under Settings, Click on Signature.
    This is where you will put information that helps us give you feedback.
    This is where you paste the link for your spreadsheet, once it is set up.
    Add any other text, such as
    your name,
    cat's name,
    date of Dx (diagnosis)
    insulin
    meter
    any other pertinent issues like if there are any food issues, history of DKA, hepatic lipidosis, pancreatitis, allergies, IBD, etc.
    Click the Save Changes button at the bottom.

Always click the Save Changes button at the bottom when you have changed anything.

77. Amyitsallgood

Amyitsallgood Member

I think I figured out the signature thing. Let me know if there is missing in that would be helpful.

78. Amyitsallgood

Amyitsallgood Member

So PMPS was 195 so I feed her (she expects to be able to eat after her test. Always hungry!) and didn't give insulin. Will be interesting to see was her number is in the am. Please be low... please be low... please be low....

79. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Take a look at my signature link Glucometer Notes to better understand what glucometers do and what the numbers mean. No calculations are involved.

It is likely safe to shoot 1 unit because 195 is within the +/- 20% variance meters are allowed. If you're still concerned she might go too low, skip until tomorrow.

80. Amyitsallgood

Amyitsallgood Member

Very good resource, thank you! I think I do wanna wait till morning, I don't want her to go hypo while I'm a sleeping and tomorrow I'll be able to do more testing. Thank you for your help

81. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Maybe do some reading of the sticky posts over in the Lantus forum.

82. Amyitsallgood

Amyitsallgood Member

So what do you think? Delilah was at 201 this morning. Do I need to test and see how high the BG is going after she eats? when would that be? Does a kitty just barely at 200 and just slowly raising need insulin or could it be the high carb food I gave her when she was hypo?

83. dian and wheezer

I would shoot
    now and then feed and do your testing as noted above

84. dian and wheezer

e high carb food should be out of her system by now, I will not be here today but I am sure others will be

85. Amyitsallgood

Amyitsallgood Member

Ok so today I tested at 8am got 201 then I feed her FF and didn't sho0t. I rechecked at 9am was still about the same at 205 and I shot 1 unit. Hope she doesn't fall too low. I will try my best to test every two hours; Is that enough testing?

86. Mitzelplik's Mom

Mitzelplik's Mom Member

Yes, every 2 hours is enough. You're doing great!

87. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Understanding the spreadsheet/grid:

The colored headings at the top are the ranges of glucose values. They are color-coded to clue you in as to meaning.

Each day is 1 row. Each column stores different data for the day.

From left to right, you enter
    the Date in the first column
    the AMPS (morning pre-shot test) in the 2nd column
    the Units given (turquoise column)

Then, there are 11 columns labeled +1 through +11
    If you test at +5 (5 hours after the shot), you enter the test number in the +5 column
    If you test at +7 (7 hours after the shot), you enter the test number in the +7 column
    and so on.

Halfway across the page is the column for PMPS (evening pre-shot)
    To the right is another turquoise column for Units given at the evening shot.

There is second set of columns labeled +1 through +11
    If you snag a before bed test at +3, you enter the test number in the +3 column.

We separate day and night numbers like that because many cats go lower at night.

It is merely a grid for storing the info; no math required.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.