newbie in SC

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by LBBCR, Mar 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LBBCR

LBBCR New Member

Hello everyone,
    I just found this site and will be looking around reading and asking questions about my recently diagnosed boy "Sparky" He's an 8yo male F2 Chausie who unfortunately was on Pred long term that what I was told, resulted in him becoming diabetic and now that he's off the pred I'm hoping this will go into remission but its very frustrating as I'm finding out.
    I just got an Ipet home testing meter last week but I don't believe its giving the correct readings because it's giving much higher results then my vets readings when I leave him there for a curve.
    I just ordered a alpha trak 2 meter that was suggested to be a lot better so I'm looking forward to that to come in soon.
    Sparky had an IBS problem when I first got him into rescue 4yrs ago (I'm a Bengal and Chausie rescue) and since then he's been successfully on a homemade raw diet as I've had multiple other cats on it as well and was doing good till this diabetes popped up so his diet shouldn't be any problem as whatever little carbs he gets comes from the little canned food mixed in.
    He does eat well, keeping his weight @16\17lbs and doesn't drink lots of water like he used to...problem is I'm the only one here so I can't see him during the day which is another worry which is why I got a test meter for my own peace of mind.
    As of last week he's on 2 units of ProZinc insulin 2x's a day and his last curve at the vets was just over 215 but with this testing kit I have now its closer to 320 so that's got me worried. I've had some readings that's so high (upper 400's) it seemed impossible from the way he was acting like nothing was wrong but logically with a high reading like that, I would think he would be not feeling well at all which was how he was acting when he first got diagnosed.
    From all the research I did prior to this diagnosis I did have him on a methylcobalamin regime for his occasional neuropathy in his hind legs which was the original reason the vets put him on pred but I'm starting to wonder if they just checked his glucose level back then or performed a curve... and that's when he was actually becoming diabetic hence the original problem of the neuropathy in his hind legs. To me that sounds the most logical answer.....lots of questions running in my head but no answers. What I'm really concerned about is not the past questions I had but what to do now and to help Sparky get through this....oh and yes me too.

Any and I mean ANY suggestions about the test meters would be extremely helpful...I've never dealt with diabetes before and the ups and downs are driving me crazy and now it makes me very anxious when I go to do his testing knowing its probably going to be high and questioning if its actually a correct reading.
    I've got vet tech training so I can pretty much do anything a vets office can do...except I don't have their equipment :)

Thank you all in advance.
    Mike

2. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Hello Mike.

Being a holiday weekend it might be awhile for people to answer.

Glad you will be home testing. Alpha Trac is a good meter, the strips are expensive. I use to use it but now use a human . The alpha Trac reads higher than a human meter. Do you know what your vet uses? Also readings at at vet do typically run higher because the cat is stressed. Until you are home testing I think you should not make any food changes. It could affect his glucose level and you don't want him to low until you can test.

I'm not familiar with Prozinc but there is a topic here you can read. Also read about the spreadsheet and try to have that going when you start testing. It us something we all use and look at when you ask regarding doses.

Ask all the questions you need.

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB, Mike.

We've a ProZinc group here, with some guidelines for optimal use here.
    You may post questions there, or in Feline Health.
    Most of us use human meters due to the cost; it is possible your vet may have done that, so ask. It would explain the large discrepancy in numbers. The other thing that might explain it is the +/- 20% the FDA allows meters to vary from what a lab would get. See the notes in my signature link for more detail.

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Welcome.
    ProZinc is a good insulin
    It is good that yo are home testing. Wht specific meter are you using.
    Most of us here test before each shot and periodically between shots. We record our reading and other info in a spreadsheet. See:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    What are you feeding? A low-carb canned is best. No reason for a prescription food. Here is a list of commercial low-carb canned

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/shortcut-shopping-list-all-8-or-less-updated.117688/

You said "his last curve at the vets was just over 215 but with this testing kit I have now its closer to 320 so that's got me worried. I've had some readings that's so high (upper 400's)"
    When were those readings with respect to when the shot was taken (hours after shot). With ProZinc there is usually a significant drop in BG between shot and about 5-6 hours. One may see a rise from pre-shot number at 1-2 hours

5. LBBCR

LBBCR New Member

Thanks for replying so soon,
    I realize its a holiday and its actually pretty packed down here in MB this weekend and I also tend to a personal TNR feeding station so I have to drive through the traffic to get there. I just mainly wanted to say hi...I read a lot before I write.
    As for his diet its not changed and the homemade raw is pretty well balanced for him plus he loves it. Pretty much 0 for carbs.
    I've left a mssg at my vets about what brand meter they use but got no reply last week...there's 6 Dr's at my clinic and it can be hectic but yes I've also read the Alpha Trac strips are exp but other strips can be used so I'll run several control strips and see what it averages out to be then go from there if I'll stick with the original stripes or not. I think the more I learn and relax, the better I will get at using alternative testers etc...
    Forgot to mention but him being a Chausie, don't know if anyone knows that breed but their a fairly big cat and his weight @16-17lbs isn't that big so he's not overweight, he's just a big cat. His pic is my avatar. As you can see he takes up most of my chair. Surprisingly being a F2 he's a real love bug.
    Yup I also know him and being stressed at the vets plus the pred, when he was on it, would also raise his glucose.
    His original neuropathy problem was never diagnosed, nothing wrong was ever found via x rays or ultrasounds or blood work...anything and everything was done but he would get an episode a few times a yr and what I found would get him out of it after a couple days was a dose of 5mg pred 2x's a day with fluids and a b12 shot...hence why I have him on methylcobalamin and off the pred now. He was on 2.5 mg of pred every day then weaned to every other day then every 3 days now he's off of it so time will tell with that.
    One Dr there I been dealing with for yrs told me cats handle pred very well but with my experience every cat I had on pred died of something, cancer or some other disease so I really do not like any steroids. That particular Dr wasn't there when I brought Sparky in and he was immediately diagnosed with diabetes so she is his heath care Dr now and the last 3 months I would bring him in once a month for a curve and the last time 2 weeks ago it was just about 200 with no more keytones but would like the number down just a tad more that's why I am going to home testing but this meter I have now I think wasn't worth it. Its showing me a lot higher then the vets tests.
    I do have to breath a little better from some reading I see a lot other people are having a worse time then I am. I feel their worry and wish them the best.

I'll have to find that spreadsheet your talking about.

Thanks again,
    mike

6. Olive & Paula

7. LBBCR

LBBCR New Member

Wow writing that last post I got 2 other people responding :) thank you.

I give injections just before feeding.

He eats at 6:30 am and 6:30 pm. Its a home made raw diet he's been on for the last 4 yrs. No dry food at all. About a tsp of friskies canned mixed in the raw.

When I do a curve I test just before I give an injection at the 6:30 am feeding, then at 12\1pm then just before the 6:30 pm injection then again at 9pm.
    For instance this am's reading was 392 noon's was 460...and the last meal was at 6:30am

I'm using a Ipet test meter right now but ordered an Alpha Trak kit.

mike

8. LBBCR

LBBCR New Member

I just looked that up..Zobaline is the same as methylcobalamin....strange huh?
    I get it pretty cheap and just bought four 5mg 90 pill bottles on amazon for 10$ a bottle w\free shipping Their pretty small pills.

http://www.amazon.com/Sundown-Natur...psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

I use a pill crusher and mix it in his food. I use the 5mg size...b-12 is water soluble and whatever their body doesn't use they pee the rest out.

I love Norwegian Forest cats...just seen them at the cat show in Raleigh last month.

9. Olive & Paula

So your aware. A curve is done every 2 hrs for 12 hrs or every 3 hrs for 18 hrs. It is something you can do at home .

10. LBBCR

LBBCR New Member

Ahhhh thank you for that. The vet didn't tell me that little bit of info.

11. Olive & Paula

There are a lot if things vets don't tell you.

To be fair, They usually are not update on FD nor trained in it. My vet didn't know about Lantus nor how to use the pens.

I was told my kitties teeth were fine and blood work was normal. I pushed the issues. He has pancreatitis now and FORLs.

It's always good to ask for opinions and have other views.

Critter Mom likes this.
  12. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome. Sparky is handsome guy! My cat has neuropathy too, and I give Zobaline. I chose it because it is for diabetic cats and contains no sugar. I don't know if the cherry flavoring in the Sundown brand could affect BG. You may want to check on that.

13. LBBCR

LBBCR New Member

That's why I joined here :)
    The more info I can get the better I can help my boy.

Back in 08 my original companion got very sick and panc attacks were one of the things he suffered from. It wasn't till after he passed and another cat I had was getting panc attacks was when I found the reason. it was a powdered food additive the vet actually told me to use!
    I've come to find out most vets really don't look much for the cause of a problem they TREAT the problem with meds and more meds. I took the time and had to do trial and error on what was causing the panc attacks by deleting one item at a time from his meals. Her response..."ya that sounds right cause its full of grains" Well then why is it given out? I asked to no reply. I now use 5 vets within an hrs drive to use if one Dr doesn't satisfy my questions. I've gotten very pro active since my friend Spike passed....he looked just like Sharon14's kitty.

BTW Sharon14...I did a check prior to getting this and the sundown brand does not contain any artificial ingredients, sugar, milk or anything. Here's the ingredients rundown.

Sundown Naturals® Quick-Dissolve Methylcobalamin B12 provides you with a high-potency source of this essential B vitamin. As part of the B family of vitamins, B12 works to provide nourishment for the stress of daily living.* Vitamin B12 promotes energy metabolism and nervous system health. Free of artificial color and flavor; preservatives; sugar; starch; milk; lactose; soy; gluten; wheat; yeast; fish; and sodium.

I actually take them myself but it has to have a tiny amt of "natural" sugar to give the cherry flavor (which I can hardly taste). If it affects the BG I would think its negligible....good thing to point out though, thank you, I'll look more into it.

Sharon14 likes this.
  14. Ferndoc

Ferndoc Member

Hi Mike,

I want to make sure I understand his am before shot number was 392 and his noon number so 6 hours later was 460. Correct.

This shows that it could be a flat curve which is not normal. I could mean either there is too little insulin or too much. Without a lot of data (tests) and a home curve it's hard to know which one it is. However the Nadir (lowest point) on prozinc should be at that 6 hour mark.

15. LBBCR

LBBCR New Member

Yes 6am reading was 392 then he was given his 2 unit dose and his meal. The 1pm reading was 462...no food... then at 6pm before he got his insulin and meal it was 410.
    It doesn't make any sense that's why I'm having doubts about this meter giving false reading and that's why I ordered an Alpha Trak meter that my vets use.

Now what I'm told when they did a curve at my vets the last time (2 weeks ago) avg was 215 (with no ketones for 2 weeks prior to that) and they wanted to up the dose to 2 units from 1 1\2 units to get him down below 200...they scheduled a recheck in 6 weeks....now I'm doing the testing at home in the meantime.

From what I now understand doing a curve, BG should be checked every 2hrs for 12 hrs but they only keep him from 8 to 5 so they must cut it short you'd think?
    I'm getting real frustrated and confused. I don't fully trust vets from things in the past that's why I got very pro active in my kids health and that's why I found this site so hopefully I can get some answers or at least peace of mind but like most people I have little patience and have the need to get him fixed now....as unlikely that will be, I do realize that....Like all of you out there feel for yours, he's one of my kids and I care deeply for them all. I lost one to cancer not long ago and the cut is still fresh :( I will not lose this guy to something like this, I will help him to the best of my ability...and more. There's several Dr's I know in this area and I don't hesitate to go to another if I feel like this one is not helping but so far they seem ok.

When I get this new meter (should be this week) I'm doing a full daily curve and it will tell me if the one I got now is ok or not but in the meantime Sparky is going on like nothings wrong, in fact he acts tons better then when he was first sick last Christmas so something must be going right.

Sorry for me ranting on...I can get emotional over my kids :)

Shoeskitty-GA likes this.
  16. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

The waiting is tough as our little ones' bodies go through the gradual process of relearning how to run at healthy blood glucose levels. We do a great line in Patience Pants here. ;)

You and me both, Mike! And an awful lot more of us here besides... ;)

Mogs

17. LBBCR

LBBCR New Member

Got a preliminary result from the new Alpha Trak meter....not good really. I first did a control and it fell within specs then did a BG reading last evening before feeding and before insulin at 6:20pm, it read 376. This morn before food and insulin at 6:25am it read 501 and I immediately ran another test and it read 543...that's a good size difference to me.
    Tonight before food and insulin its 6:18pm I took a BG reading with both meter's, the Alpha Trak and the I pet, AT was 443 the IP was 442...That's pretty darn close to me so logically what I'm thinking is either the dose is too low or he's somewhat resistant to this insulin. Weird thing is he's showing no signs of it being so high..what do you think?
    I'm calling the vet first thing on Monday and asking about this plus maybe changing to a different insulin....and its a new bottle but I'll find someone who needs it and give it to them to use if I do change insulin.
    The vets only tell me his curve avg when I talk to them, last time is was 215, they didn't tell me any of his readings but in my brain it doesn't coincide with the readings I'm getting plus you'd think his reading at the vets would be a little higher do to his stress......none of this is making any sense...plus I been battling a URI with other's and got Sparky isolated so he wont get affected...its a mess here, some not wanting to eat due to their congestion, giving fluids to others, amox to another one, all getting b12 shots and then lysine added in their food...it's been 3 yrs since I had a bug go through and I was due. Can't wait till its over but its going to be another week or so.
    I had to pass on a new Chausie coming into rescue due to this bug going round too...ughhhh what a bad week I'm having. I need a vacation!

18. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

The accuracy of the meter (human meters too) is only +/- 20%, Those two values are well withing that tolerance

19. Olive & Paula

Mike, it does take time. For what it's worth, I think you need to give the insulin a chance. He is use to high numbers so he could be acting just fine like you said. When is your next dose increase?

Critter Mom likes this.
  20. scoobydoox

scoobydoox Member

Hello and welcome to the forum.

21. LBBCR

LBBCR New Member

Thank you for that info it eases my mind quite a bit.I'll try and remember that...I talk to my neighbor friend and she's been diabetic for 10yrs and tells me her BG pretty much can't be relied on to be consistent, it will fluctuate a lot and that's what scares me seeing it like that.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  22. LBBCR

LBBCR New Member

He started this insulin just before Christmas and been having 1\2 unit dose increases about every 4 weeks, the last was the first week of March but not due for a vet check in 2 more weeks. The Dr told me their last curve was 215 and would like it to be under 200 that's why she went to a 2 unit dose 2x's a day but with my readings its much higher. I'm still not used to this so its scares me to see it this high...better high then low I guess that's why I got the meter to check.

23. LBBCR

LBBCR New Member

Thank you :)

24. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Mike,

If you could get a BG spreadsheet up and running it would help us a lot to help you interpret Sparky's response to his insulin - and maybe soothe your nerves a bit, too. :bighug:

Mogs

25. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Hi Mike. How is Sparky doing? What a beautiful Chausie he is! I love it that you run a Chausie/Bengal rescue! (I have an F3 Bengal)

I hope Sparky's numbers have been coming down some. Please keep us posted once in a while - we worry! :nailbiting: :):):)

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.